• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Curfew for Under-16s

Should there be a 9pm curfew for under-16s?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Dunno

• Total voters

borderlinegenius

There's a lady on Newstalk 106 at the moment arguing for a general curfew for under-16s after 9pm, because, as she put it, some of them are involved in anti-social behaviour.

I applaud this brave thinking.

Since many bank and credit card scams originate in Nigeria, I plan to contact this bold woman with an idea for her next campaign: clearly all black people should be barred from holding credit cards, and indeed computers, for if we take away the tools of crime, there can be no more crime.

I'm working on some sanction for women drivers too.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
Not sure if I'd go so far as to pass a law on it, but if you're under 16 you shouldn't be on the streets late at night unaccompanied by adults, simple as that. I'd put the time at 10 pm though, 9 is a bit early.

green

Website
www.younggreens.ie
There should be a simpler solution; a system whereby complaints of general anti-social behaviour can be made against under-16s, not necessarily serious criminal behaviour, and a curfew can be imposed on those against whom three or more complaints have been made.

As a blanket measure, it's a terrible idea, and the problem with requiring adult supervision is there's no guarantee that an 18-year old will be more mature or will even keep a 16-year old out of criminal behaviour.

david

green said:
There should be a simpler solution; a system whereby complaints of general anti-social behaviour can be made against under-16s, not necessarily serious criminal behaviour, and a curfew can be imposed on those against whom three or more complaints have been made.
You make a complaint, you get your window broken/tyres slashed/dog shot, you know who did it but you have no proof.

Can peer pressure help? Can we debate/develop/encourage some kind of system whereby it's ok to shop bad buddies? There's great debate going on at the moment about anti-social behaviour, particularly in relation to classrooms but so far I haven't heard anyone mention the responsibilities of those who are closest to the source and whether this is one way to tackle the problem.

Also, by all accounts, Irish children are angels compared to the Brits. Have they come up with an answer?

borderlinegenius

david said:
Also, by all accounts, Irish children are angels compared to the Brits. Have they come up with an answer?
They've come up with Anti-Social Behaviour Orders. They seem to be pretty popular over there, but of course, it's easier to marginalise people than to try to positively reform them.

I'm divided on whether I would support ASBOs here, because I'm not convinced that they will help the situation at all.

That said, an all-out curfew is obviously just plain stupid.

Blaguard

I agree that the under 16 'community' should be under some kind of curfew but in fairness how would you impose that on kids this age?

borderlinegenius

Blaguard said:
I agree that the under 16 'community' should be under some kind of curfew but in fairness how would you impose that on kids this age?
Send do-gooders like the Newstalk Lady around with mustard gas, of course. Any little rat refusing to move on will be sprayed. Twice. In the Face.

borderlinegenius

jjcarroll said:
Exactly, because at present it would be difficult to enforce. However, if the government were to distrubt tazers to all over 16s, and allow them to use them on any under16 breaking curfew, it could work.
Yes, that would be deadly. We could also distribute special credit card scissors to all retail and banking operatives, for immediate use on any non-white customers. If you give blacks credit cards, you're just asking for trouble.

Blaguard

Well I suppose that could always work we could have a new little board/commitee, set up around under 16's, on which all they would do is talk and then the vigilante parents would take over and probably use the mustard gas.

borderlinegenius

Blaguard said:
Well I suppose that could always work we could have a new little board/commitee, set up around under 16's, on which all they would do is talk and then the vigilante parents would take over and probably use the mustard gas.
Or a sock full of snooker balls. They're cool too.

watch-this-drive

borderlinegenius said:
jjcarroll said:
Exactly, because at present it would be difficult to enforce. However, if the government were to distrubt tazers to all over 16s, and allow them to use them on any under16 breaking curfew, it could work.
Yes, that would be deadly. We could also distribute special credit card scissors to all retail and banking operatives, for immediate use on any non-white customers. If you give blacks credit cards, you're just asking for trouble.

Bring back that guy from Chitty chitty bang bang who had a nifty disguised trap for the little sh*ts...
you could modernise it with Umbro and Britney spears written on the side...

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
borderlinegenius said:
Blaguard said:
No they are not :x

Do you know how annoying it is when you go to play a game of pool, and your missing two red, because Johner had to 'borrow' them?

borderlinegenius

jjcarroll said:
No they are not :x

Do you know how annoying it is when you go to play a game of pool, and your missing two red, because Johner had to 'borrow' them?
Johner's a pussy. Razor takes the cues and all.

watch-this-drive

borderlinegenius said:
Oddly enough, I could picture McDowell as a Child Catcher. Black children, mostly, but nonetheless...

Perfect...come hear my pretties...gotcha!

Or Montgomery McDowell...excellant

Blaguard

borderlinegenius said:
Blaguard said:
Thats a good idea why use something thats not easy to access you could always look in the 'home' for 'weapons' such as a sock full of snooker balls.

although i think the mustard gas might be more acceptable in todays world its not as obvious.

What if they retaliate?

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
Blaguard said:
borderlinegenius said:
Blaguard said:
Thats a good idea why use something thats not easy to access you could always look in the 'home' for 'weapons' such as a sock full of snooker balls.

although i think the mustard gas might be more acceptable in todays world its not as obvious.

What if they retaliate?

Tazers are the only solution, in particular the gun variety.

Lets see the bastards retailiate to that.

borderlinegenius

Blaguard said:
Truly, it is a subtle delight.

Blaguard said:
What if they retaliate?
In that case, we would send Harpey around to have a word with their parents...