Current British government's position on no hard border attacked by (wait for it!) Theresa May

automaticforthepeople

Fair play to Theresa May. She is very clear in this video from 2 days before the Brexit Referendum. When clarity was in short supply she clearly says the following when it comes to the issue of borders with a state in the EU;

"if you pulled out of the EU and came out of free movement, then how could you have a situation where there was an open border with a country that was in the EU and has access to free movement."

Seems that she is attacking her own position. Which Theresa May should we believe? Theresa May 2 days before the referendum or Theresa May 13 months before she takes back control for (wait for it!) her own border.

Seems strange that a party that wants to take back control of their state doesn't want to control its own borders. Lets be blunt about it, if there was a camp on the border of people wanting to get into the UK, there'd be a border harder than the iron ************************ain.

Theresa May admitted there could be no open border in Ireland if Britain outside the EU, newly emerged video shows | The Independent

ScoobyDoo

Why is this a surprise?

Theresa May has never hidden the fact she has always been a Remainer

Alan Alda

Yeah , there's gonna be a hard border.Sorry bout that.
EU aint got time for entertaining fairy notions about a united Ireland.
Keep believing Leos assertions all you like but reality is reality.
Small country ,big international affairs etc ..
Ah well. At least we are looking good for the six nations. C'mon Ireland!

comet

The border is effectively the Bann with islands of Unionism west of it.

How do you install a border that is in de facto Irish territory?

The cost to the British will be billions per year because they will have to secure it physically i.e. the British Army returns.

Last edited:

seanof

You make a good point. The British are ignorant about Ireland, some educated ones, deliberately so. Rees Mogg was on C4 yesterday peddling patent fallacies. He claimed Corbyn had voted against the Good Friday Agreement in the British parliament.

NYCKY

I have often thought that the Irish border would be the Czechoslovakia in the Munich agreement/betrayal.

Hopefully that doesn't come to pass but I get the sinking feeling that Ireland and the Irish issue will be sacrificed for the "greater good".

Alan Alda

I have often thought that the Irish border would be the Czechoslovakia in the Munich agreement/betrayal.

Hopefully that doesn't come to pass but I get the sinking feeling that Ireland and the Irish issue will be sacrificed for the "greater good".
Indeed. Cant see it panning out as idyllically as many suggest.

Alan Alda

The border is effectively the Bann with islands of Unionism west of it.

How do you install a border that is in de facto Irish territory?

The cost to the British will be billions per year because they will have to secure it physically i.e. the British Army returns.
Im sure the EU will provide resources to preserve its own integrity. Its irrational to expect Brits to 100% fund and maintain an EU requested border.

GabhaDubh

Theresa May has promised the following groups that their best interests shall be maintained.

Tories.
DUP
Brexiters.
Ireland.
EU.

She needs to handle the Middle East.

Alan Alda

Theresa May has promised the following groups that their best interests shall be maintained.

Tories.
DUP
Brexiters.
Ireland.
EU.

She needs to handle the Middle East.
Its not just Tessie trying to please everyone though. Also Leo and Don Tusk.
Liars all.

seanof

Ireland will be collateral damage in the aftermath of Brexit.

It's already clear that Varadkars "assurances" were mere waffle. Ireland's fvcked folks! Enjoy the scenery, cos that and our fisheries are the only reason the eu fvckers tolerate us.

jams odonnell

Ireland will be collateral damage in the aftermath of Brexit.

It's already clear that Varadkars "assurances" were mere waffle. Ireland's fvcked folks! Enjoy the scenery, cos that and our fisheries are the only reason the eu fvckers tolerate us.
Can I congratulate you on translating the British position into something which can be readily understood by the Irish. Your argument is compelling.

Last edited:

rainmaker

Administrator
And why will the armed forces have to man the border?

They were only ever deployed on the border because of the troubles. They did not enforce the border before the troubles, nor will they police it after the troubles. It is a civil matter.

Jack O Neill

They were only deployed on the border because of the troubles. They did not enforce the border before the troubles, nor will they after the troubles.
Breaking an international agreed ceasefire usually means a return to hostilities

hollandia

They were only ever deployed on the border because of the troubles. They did not enforce the border before the troubles, nor will they after the troubles.
Unfortunately it will only take one opportunist wingnut to bring things back to where they were.

rainmaker

Administrator
Breaking an international agreed ceasefire usually means a return to hostilities
You're talking nonsense again. PIRA are not going to reform, rearm and restart the armed campaign in response to Brexit - nor would they have the popular support to do so this time, either.

I'm sorry but while I understand you're a big fan of blowing people to pieces, that scenario is pure fantasy on your part.

rainmaker

Administrator
Unfortunately it will only take one opportunist wingnut to bring things back to where they were.
I think deploying armed troops permanently to the border would require more than the actions of the occasional wingnut. The last time it took unprecedented civil strife and the break down of order across the entire province.

FOURGREENFIELDS

If border checkpoints go up don't underestimate the resentment and anger that will start to build especially amongst people in those areas. If you are living in one jurisdiction and living in the other OR are a farmer with land on both sides and have to queue up 4/5 times a day for some jobsworth from Hampshire or Lincoln to tell you to 'wait over there' then who knows what could happen?

Jack O Neill

You're talking nonsense again. PIRA are not going to reform, rearm and restart the armed campaign in response to Brexit - nor would they have the popular support to do so this time, either.

I'm sorry but while I understand you're a big fan of blowing people to pieces, that scenario is pure fantasy on your part.
If the British do what they usually do and break the agreement then some form of IRA response will be inevitable . You british blow a lot more innocent people to pieces than the IRA ever did or will .

New Threads

Most Replies