Customs policy on profiling

DJCB33

On the RTE show Customes which is on air now a check point was set up on the border at Monaghan and all vehicles which appeared as though they were going to the Oxegan Music were pulled and searched with a sniffer dog, all were delayed, about a dozen very small amounts were seized and one larger amount, about an ounce.

Is this not profiling? If it is unacceptable to do it in the airport how come it's okay at the border?

DJCB33

When the selection of individuals for a search is based around group characteristics rather than evidence.

clonycavanman

Is 'profiling' the targetting of the limited, and expensive, investigation resource accurately upon persons judged likely to be breaking the law?

Sounds like good police work; and the purchaser [us] should demand nothing less.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
On the RTE show Customes which is on air now a check point was set up on the border at Monaghan and all vehicles which appeared as though they were going to the Oxegan Music were pulled and searched with a sniffer dog, all were delayed, about a dozen very small amounts were seized and one larger amount, about an ounce.

Is this not profiling? If it is unacceptable to do it in the airport how come it's okay at the border?
In israel its acceptable to profile at the airport, and in most countries where the people therein arent making their judgement based on liberal principles of equality etc.

Profiling is a rational use of human intelligence. Why would you inconvience the many just to prove you are behaving in a way thats compatible with liberal principles.

Additionally they should be giving cavity searches to any hippies they see.

seanmacc

The Immigration Officers in Dublin Port only ask people of Asian and African origin for ID. Everyone else can walk off the ships without a problem. Is this profiling? A person of African or Asian origin can be a British or Irish citizen as well.

Customs in a lot of ways have more power than a member of the Gardaí and are not bound under the same restrictions

Miserable eFFer

Customs know what you have had for your breakfast. If they don't, they should. The "Tiger" brought more hard drugs to the country than nearly anything else.

Superindigoman

This should be done a lot more, smuggling drugs across an international border, you get the death sentence in many countries for this.

Panopticon

When the selection of individuals for a search is based around group characteristics rather than evidence.
It's not based around group characteristics, though, is it? "Going to a music festival" is not a group characteristic, it's a behaviour, and one that is more correlated with drugs possession than, say, driving or bridge.

Boy M5

Surely all customs authorities profile? Any time on a flight home with passengers transferring from other airlines / destinations at LHR I've spotted the Customs boys & girls waiting for these passengers to see what US bargains, exotic substances, etc. they've bought. I particularly remember 2 young lads coming back from living in Oz being on the morning flight into Cork, the customs guys spotted them & their eyes lit up....

Similarly flying into the UK I was waiting at the customs hall in Heathrow for the belt, in the hall there were a handful of lads in casual gear lounging around wearing airport passes. I looked a little closer at their passes: "HM Customs".
Then a flight from Amsterdam arrived.....

DJCB33

The law should be the same for all situations though, a group of people who appear as though they are going to Oxegen coming through Dublin Airport would not be pick out for special treatment.

jmcc

Do you even know what "profiling" involves?

Regards...jmcc

DJCB33

jmcc said:
Do you even know what "profiling" involves?

Regards...jmcc
Nice and condescending

I have heard the term used to describe selection because of inherited & gained characteristics

Last edited:

acme

The Immigration Officers in Dublin Port only ask people of Asian and African origin for ID. Everyone else can walk off the ships without a problem. Is this profiling? A person of African or Asian origin can be a British or Irish citizen as well.

Customs in a lot of ways have more power than a member of the Gardaí and are not bound under the same restrictions
Sean, you stumbled on an issue here, Gardaí are not restricted
from practicing active discrimination, racial or otherwise by the Dept of
Justice and Equality.

ICI calls for investigation of unlawful detention of Irish citizen

The Immigrant Council of Ireland has written to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform, asking him to investigate the unlawful detention of an Irish citizen on “immigration grounds” on November 4.

The man, who was born in China, was pulled over by gardaí in relation to a road traffic matter and asked to show his passport. Despite showing two other forms of identification and informing the officer he was an Irish citizen, he was taken to Kevin Street Garda Station, searched and placed in a cell until his wife came to the station with his passport. He was then released without charge.

The An Garda Síochána Press Office confirmed to RTE’s Liveline programme that the man was arrested on suspicion of having committed an offence under Section 12 of the Immigration Act, something it is impossible for an Irish citizen to do.

bbbbb

There is also a risk with profiling that it becomes self-afirming. e.g. if you only search males from cork for drugs, then pretty soon all your convicted drug smugglers will only be males from cork.

Cellach

Wasn't there a story about a Swedish citizen of African descent arrested in Limerick for having a false passport on the basis that 'there are no black people in Sweden'? Thought I heard that but I can't find a link, so the story may be apocryphal.

Anyway the profiling normally disapproved of is racial profiling. Nothing to do with the shared intention of going to a music festival.

GDPR

It sounds like it could happen but I have to say it didnt happen when I got the boat a few times.... at least not in my part of the queue anyway.

Dohville

Every time I come thru irish airports I am asked for my ID. Even once when I flew from Dublin to shannon.... In my recent experience Immigratin check everyones Passport/ID.
But I'm sure seanmacc has evidence to back up his statement.

I am neither asian nor african in origin. Immigration profiling does not begin at the arrivals hall. It begins at the point of departure.

Goodbody

Every time I come thru irish airports I am asked for my ID. Even once when I flew from Dublin to shannon.... In my recent experience Immigratin check everyones Passport/ID.
But I'm sure seanmacc has evidence to back up his statement.

I am neither asian nor african in origin. Immigration profiling does not begin at the arrivals hall. It begins at the point of departure.
Everyone is asked for their ID after arriving at the airport. Most are whisked through just by showing the picture page on their passport. In my experience people of Black or Asian appearance are always stopped for a longer conversation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies