• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Cut back Foreign Aid?

blindjustice

Time to cut it back a bit?

Department of Foreign Affairs
Irish Aid – the Irish Government’s official development cooperation programme – it is still a significant focus of the programme with some €5m being spent in India each year
Full circle: India buys 200 tons gold from IMF - India Business - Biz - The Times of India
India buys 200 tons gold from IMF
Nuclear Weapons - India Nuclear Forces
the NRDC estimates that India has a stockpile of approximately 30-35 nuclear warheads and claims that India is producing additional nuclear materials. Joseph Cirincione at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (3) estimates that India has produced enough weapons-grade plutonium for 50-90 nuclear weapons and a smaller but unknown quantity of weapons-grade uranium. Weapons-grade plutonium production takes place at the Bhabha Atomic Research Center,
Sounds to me like Trócaire, Goal and Concern are pissing into the wind in some of these countries and quite frankly being made fools of

Hazlitt

I posted this back in March:

Hazlitt said:
Since June (2008) apparently we've cut the overseas aid budget three times, and the most recent cut last month was by €95million (10% of the total overseas assistance program).

But considering the state is having to borrow approximately €55million per day is last months cut really that shocking?
Considering we are borrowing approx 500m p/w to stay afloat (all of which has to be paid eventually by taxpayers) yes we should cut overseas aid. Will this have an affect on our international relations? Yes. But practically, realistically, we need to cut it. Our deficits are having a disastrous negative impact on us domestically, and the taxpayers is where our governments responsibilities lie.

darkhorse

for a small country that is borrowing €450m every week to survive, we simply cannot afford to spend €813m every year on overseas aid.
the nation is close to bankrupcy and it is completely idiotic to be spending that kind of money assisting foreign countries.
we are effectively in receipt of foreign aid ourselves via the ECB loans to our banking system
The amounts they give away appear to be a matter of pride judging by their website Irish Aid - About - Mission & Aims

USER1234

Just remember guys whatever state you may think this country is in the countrys that get this money are in much worse states than ours!!!

louis bernard

We should not be cutting back on foreign aid. We should cut out foreign aid altogether. We have to borrow €500 million a week to keep the country afloat, we’re broke. How on earth can it make sense to give away borrowed money as foreign aid?

sandar

the hwole issue of aid needs to be looked at. India has a nuclear and a space programme and is a welathier country than Ire;and, dow e give them aid.

Im put in mind of the old saying,
international development is poor people in rich countries giving money to rich people in poor countries.
The principal of international aid is of course to be supported, but the method needs to be examined

USER1234

We should not be cutting back on foreign aid. We should cut out foreign aid altogether. We have to borrow €500 million a week to keep the country afloat, we’re broke. How on earth can it make sense to give away borrowed money as foreign aid?
So basicly ******************** the world?? even though we going through a bad patch at the moment, you have to know that the countries this money goes to are in so very much worse state than ours and with out this money people will die!!!

blindjustice

So basicly ******************** the world?? even though we going through a bad patch at the moment, you have to know that the countries this money goes to are in so very much worse state than ours and with out this money people will die!!!
At the least we should watch where the money goes. We should in no way be subsidising Indias Nuclear program nor its Space program. Same goes for any country where the root cause is corruption.

May I suggest these guys for a diversion of the aid we send to India:
Kazakhstan's radioactive legacy - The Big Picture - Boston.com
^^^

USER1234

sandar

Just remember guys whatever state you may think this country is in the countrys that get this money are in much worse states than ours!!!
india is not ina worse state........they have a government which can find the money for a nuclear weapons programme and a space programme. Even at the height of the celtic tiger ireland could not have done that.
So why are were giving aid to their government?

sandar

I didnt say the moeny was used for those programmes. Its not so far as I know. Thats not the point I was making.
What I am saying is that, whatever the indian government uses our aid money to pay for, perhaps the should pay it themselves by cutting their nuclear weapons and space programmes.

blindjustice

No i wasnt how do you know there being used for those programs and not for the aid to people its ment for

Proof please!!!
My God this is astounding. Go look at the links its no secret that we are sending money to India. Its no secret that they have a huge standing army, Nuclear weapons, a goddamn space program and just bought 200 tons of Gold from the IMF.

Join the dots!

USER1234

I didnt say the moeny was used for those programmes. Its not so far as I know. Thats not the point I was making.
What I am saying is that, whatever the indian government uses our aid money to pay for, perhaps the should pay it themselves by cutting their nuclear weapons and space programmes.
Ok but india is just one of the countries our money goes to and many people need the support from the groups the money goes to in those countries and will die without it we wont!!!

louis bernard

What part of “we are broke; we are BORROWING €500 million a week just to stay afloat “do you not understand? We cannot give away borrowed money as aid.

sandar

Thats fine. Thats the point Im making review the aid programme properly to every country....to make sure its being used properly...that was my origianl point

blindjustice

Ok but india is just one of the countries our money goes to and many people need the support from the groups the money goes to in those countries and will die without it we wont!!!
We cant give out dole to every country in the worlds poor.
Its wrong to put us in that position while their own government spends money on weapons and fancy spaceships.
Its up to THEM to solve their problem - the problem isnt a lack of money.

We are making them dependent on us instead of encouraging them to deal with their own issues.

Send the money elsewhere or cut it.

louis bernard

My God this is astounding. Go look at the links its no secret that we are sending money to India. Its no secret that they have a huge standing army, Nuclear weapons, a goddamn space program and just bought 200 tons of Gold from the IMF.

Join the dots!
You are of course 100% correct. Any country that has a Nuclear weapons programme and massive armed forces can cut back on both and feed their people. They do not need aid.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies