• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Cuts to State dental treatment services scheme: The toothless Irish.

PBP voter

Dentists say govt cuts led to more extractions - RTÉ News

study shows that since 2009:
*surgical extractions have increased by 53%
*routine extractions are up by 14%
*scaling and polishing has fallen by 97%
* treatment for gum diseases is down 80%.
*fillings have also been reduced by over 33%.

Cuts imposed in 2010 restricted treatment under the scheme to clinical emergency circumstances only and effectively abandoned all preventive dental treatment.

Around 1.7 million people with medical cards are eligible for care.

Surely this has to be reversed ASAP.

SEAMAI

Regardless of peoples financial state I think a lot of people see dental care as the poor relation and only go when they really need to. All I'm entitled to is one free check up a year, I have to pay for the scaling and polishing. I have started going for a second one every six months, with what I get back from VHI(not a lot, €50.00), I spent about €75.00 last year. By having regular check ups, problems can often be nipped in the bud, having said that I've been pretty luck with my teeth. I know several people in my circle who earn more than me and rarely go to the dentist, and it shows!! One guys who's not been for over 10 years!.

Sister Mercedes

The study shows that since 2009, surgical extractions have increased by 53%, routine extractions are up by 14%, scaling and polishing has fallen by 97% and treatment for gum diseases is down 80%.
I think basic dental coverage for poor people is a more pressing govt priority than free medical care for children under 6.

Sister Mercedes

Regardless of peoples financial state I think a lot of people see dental care as the poor relation and only go when they really need to. All I'm entitled to is one free check up a year, I have to pay for the scaling and polishing. I have started going for a second one every six months, with what I get back from VHI(not a lot, €50.00), I spent about €75.00 last year. By having regular check ups, problems can often be nipped in the bud, having said that I've been pretty luck with my teeth. I know several people in my circle who earn more than me and rarely go to the dentist, and it shows!! One guys who's not been for over 10 years!.
There are prominent people in Irish public life on very high salaries etc who have dreadful teeth.

I often wonder why some people demand high salaries when they don't have any desire to spend any of it.

Sister Mercedes

It's also very difficult to find a dentist who will take on new medical card patients. Any idea what a dentist gets paid for having a medical card patient?

technophile

Little man has very small weak teeth. He had a cavity in one molar tooth. Brought him to the public clinic, they said extraction. Didn't want to face the spacing issue when the baby teeth fall out. Brought him to a private place where they saved it by root canal. cost 500 but I saw it as avoiding problems when he's in his teens.

Thankfully we had his teeth sealed when he was about 3 so that has helped.

The govt should introduce a sealing scheme for small kids. Prevention is better than cure!

Even breastmilk can potentially cause cavities.

SEAMAI

Little man has very small weak teeth. He had a cavity in one molar tooth. Brought him to the public clinic, they said extraction. Didn't want to face the spacing issue when the baby teeth fall out. Brought him to a private place where they saved it by root canal. cost 500 but I saw it as avoiding problems when he's in his teens.

Thankfully we had his teeth sealed when he was about 3 so that has helped.

The govt should introduce a sealing scheme for small kids. Prevention is better than cure!

Even breastmilk can potentially cause cavities.
Definitely but not everyone thinks that way, even those who can afford it.

Florence

I had a special dental policy with VHI Decare in 2015 and it covered 2 dental checkups and 2 scale and polish a year. Also 70% of fillings and 70% of many some other things. It cost €188 pa and I reckoned it was good value. I attended for the 2 checkups and the two scale and polish which would have cost me more than the premium. No fillings were required.

In 2016 the premium went up hugely, about 50% at least I recall. So I did not renew the policy and I suspect I won't be going for checkups for a while.

patslatt

Dentists say govt cuts led to more extractions - RTÉ News

study shows that since 2009:
*surgical extractions have increased by 53%
*routine extractions are up by 14%
*scaling and polishing has fallen by 97%
* treatment for gum diseases is down 80%.
*fillings have also been reduced by over 33%.

Cuts imposed in 2010 restricted treatment under the scheme to clinical emergency circumstances only and effectively abandoned all preventive dental treatment.

Around 1.7 million people with medical cards are eligible for care.

Surely this has to be reversed ASAP.
SIMPLE DIY PREVENTION

[]Cut consumption of sugary confections and chocolates and sugary drinks
[]When you eat products with sugar content (even breakfast cereals), drink some hot liquids like tea ASAP or even cold water to wash the sugar from the teeth, rinsing the mouth if necessary.
[]Carry dental floss in your pocket and use after all meals and snacks.

These simple measures have cut my need for fillings to about one every two to three years.

Roll_On

It's part of our culture though. In Ireland public services, whether free for the user or entirely paid for by the user, are only issued begrudgingly.

I had a medical card in the student days, during that time I was nothing but a waste of skin as far as the optometrist, dentist and GP (and their eye-rolling, sighing lackies) were concerned. I was a burden and they were under great strain to help little ole me.

Worlds away from my experience of private health more recently.

RasherHash

There are prominent people in Irish public life on very high salaries etc who have dreadful teeth.

I often wonder why some people demand high salaries when they don't have any desire to spend any of it.
They just want bigger cars and houses to (short term) "impress" the neighbours.

Younger people can be like that as well, I noticed a stocky young fella picking up his kid and guessed he would have a fine big impressive car, sure enough I wasn't disappointed.

Aindriu

Dentists here need to start cutting their costs! Ring round a few, asking their prices. Then convert their prices to sterling then ring round a few in the north. Guess is who is cheaper? Go to Poland and it gets cheaper still.

When it comes to good healthcare we are seriously ripped off.

Belfastdan

Dentists here need to start cutting their costs! Ring round a few, asking their prices. Then convert their prices to sterling then ring round a few in the north. Guess is who is cheaper? Go to Poland and it gets cheaper still.

When it comes to good healthcare we are seriously ripped off.
My dentist in Belfast quoted me £1200 for one implant yet a Hungarian dentist advertising in the Irish News quoted an implant at £600 with free consultation in Newry or Dublin.

The NHS only covers bog standard treatment for adults and I myself could do with a lot of work but I could not afford it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies