Cyber Attack on Members of Parliament's Emails

Roisin3

Friday saw a sustained hacking attack on the Westminster email accounts of MPs.

They're blaming Russia or North Korea or whoever they think might possibly be behind it.

Concern that confidential information is in the ether.

Blackmail fears after Parliament hit by 'sustained and determined' cyber attack leaving MPs unable to access their emails remotely

Apparently some MPs aren't too serious when it comes to choosing passwords.

Whatever happened to being forced to change your password every couple of months?

HenryHorace

British MP's will be sweating over this. They like to hire call boys and girls and its highly probable they have left traces on their email history. Will be interesting to see what comes out.

Catalpast

Was any of the illustrious members from the North cracked? :cool:

Could make for interesting reading!!!:cool:

There needs to be a balance between accessibility and security. I see three way authentication and more on its way. Access restricted to specific identified devices using a token and password along with the physical level of fingerprint and iris scans. The tech is there.

Craigmór

There needs to be a balance between accessibility and security. I see three way authentication and more on its way. Access restricted to specific identified devices using a token and password along with the physical level of fingerprint and iris scans. The tech is there.
But how expensive is the tech? That's, ultimately, what's going to drive it

This attack appears to have been relatively unsophisticated. Someone charging the door with their shoulder. The attacks which are subtle are the ones to fear.

I work on very sensitive and very high value systems. It takes eight steps to log on remotely. That involves four separate passwords and an RSA token and PIN. It needs to be so. We've enforced different passwords at each level by modifying the password rules for each layer.

Cool, eh? No. Not at all.

The more difficult you make it for authorised users to log on the more likely they are to write down their passwords. One bank I worked in actually provided a spreadsheet (password protected) in which one could store the 70+ IDs and passwords needed to access all of their diverse systems which were the result of acquisitions over the years. Great. Your security is now only as good as that of an Excel spreadsheet.

People need access to systems. They demand things such as a single sign on ; identify themselves once and they now have access to everything they need. It's a great idea. In theory. The problem is that it now means that security is now at the level of the weakest platform you access. Someone cracks my password for the company intranet and they suddenly have the ability to move billions to South America (literally true in my case).

Security is a balancing act.

GDPR

After the whole Pizzagate I'm very taken aback by this- obviously a lot of them are actually incredibly thick.

But how expensive is the tech? That's, ultimately, what's going to drive it
The tech is cheap. Very. An RSA token costs pennies. Many laptops now come with fingerprint recognition.

Roisin3

British MP's will be sweating over this. They like to hire call boys and girls and its highly probable they have left traces on their email history. Will be interesting to see what comes out.
Indeed. Would it be bad of me to say I'm somewhat looking forward to that? Ooh er.

GDPR

Please stop being, err, incredibly thick.
They were straight forwardly using paedo codes in the emails. Do you honestly believe that they were discussing "Pizza"?

You have an emotional need to deny the obvious, I suspect that rainmaker who seems to post only to defend to the UK State (which is different from defending Britain as such) has a financial reason for doing so (the "special relationship" and all that old chap).

They were straight forwardly using paedo codes in the emails. Do you honestly believe that they were discussing "Pizza"?

You have an emotional need to deny the obvious, I suspect that rainmaker who seems to post only to defend to the UK State (which is different from defending Britain as such) has a financial reason for doing so (the "special relationship" and all that old chap).
Sweet Jesus. Please stop.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies