Cycling Season 2018

gooner

I don't know how many cycling fans are around.

A good edition of Strade Bianche yesterday with Benoot winning.

The Culture, Sports and Media report has been released in the last hour and it's not good for Wiggins and Sky. I can't see Brailsford surviving this and I don't think it's unrealistic to say the sponsorship may end too.

The full report is here.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/media/file/99473/REPORT - Combatting doping in sport.pdf

DaveM

I don't know how many cycling fans are around.

A good edition of Strade Bianche yesterday with Benoot winning.

The Culture, Sports and Media report has been released in the last hour and it's not good for Wiggins and Sky. I can't see Brailsford surviving this and I don't think it's unrealistic to say the sponsorship may end too.

The full report is here.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/media/file/99473/REPORT - Combatting doping in sport.pdf
Great weekend of racing. Strade Bianche was one of the best classics I've watched in years. Hard as nails early spring racing right out of the top drawer. The kind of stuff the good weather seen in recent years for Paris-Roubaix has denied us. Cracking finish to the first stage of Paris-Nice too.

Brailsford has a neck like a jockey's proverbials. Whether he succeeds or not I have no doubt he'll try and rough this out. The bigger problem for Team Sky might be their sponsor. Sky have to be running out of patience having their name being synonymous with this. I could see them pulling the plug at the end of the season. It's good to see Team Sky finally getting hoisted by their own hypocritical petards.

gooner

Thomas wins again. Great stage. Bernal rode excellently today, a super talent.

No one would have predicted this with Thomas beforehand and it's there for him to win now.

Only one MTF left and outside of that he should get through the rest. He's a very capable TTer and with 1:39 to Froome and 1:50 to Dumoulin, he has more than enough to hold them off.

It will be interesting to see how the dynamics at Sky will play out in the days ahead.

No real sprinters left in the race with Greipel, Gaviria, Cav out. Sagan has green sown up again.

Dadaist

Yep, super stage today. Froome just doesn't have the salbutamol (cough) kick to finish off attacks as he had in year's past in the mountains.

Ireland's Dan Martin sets his second climbing record of the Tour de France so far - IrishIndependent.ie

In other news Dan Martin climbed Col de la Colombiere in a record time a couple of days ago. In his post race interview he said there was a head wind. So with a headwind he beat all the former drug cheats who had set the records on that climb. I'm a huge Martin fan, but this just doesn't look believable.

Dadaist

Great weekend of racing. Strade Bianche was one of the best classics I've watched in years. Hard as nails early spring racing right out of the top drawer. The kind of stuff the good weather seen in recent years for Paris-Roubaix has denied us. Cracking finish to the first stage of Paris-Nice too.

Brailsford has a neck like a jockey's proverbials. Whether he succeeds or not I have no doubt he'll try and rough this out. The bigger problem for Team Sky might be their sponsor. Sky have to be running out of patience having their name being synonymous with this. I could see them pulling the plug at the end of the season. It's good to see Team Sky finally getting hoisted by their own hypocritical petards.
Well, we now know they doubled down and backed the team's legal case. It's Sky after all.

gooner

Yep, super stage today. Froome just doesn't have the salbutamol (cough) kick to finish off attacks as he had in year's past in the mountains.

Ireland's Dan Martin sets his second climbing record of the Tour de France so far - IrishIndependent.ie

In other news Dan Martin climbed Col de la Colombiere in a record time a couple of days ago. In his post race interview he said there was a head wind. So with a headwind he beat all the former drug cheats who had set the records on that climb. I'm a huge Martin fan, but this just doesn't look believable.
I've always been an evidence first man but obviously I can still raise eyebrows at what we see.

I read Thomas did 41:17 which is nothing out of the ordinary for l'Alpe comparing to previous performances, yet in the context of where he's coming from, it is out of the ordinary what he's doing at the moment.

Dadaist

I've always been an evidence first man but obviously I can still raise eyebrows at what we see.

I read Thomas did 41:17 which is nothing out of the ordinary for l'Alpe comparing to previous performances, yet in the context of where he's coming from, it is out of the ordinary what he's doing at the moment.
Agreed. Nothing confirmed without evidence.

I had faith in Martin, considering his and his father's relative distancing of themselves from Stephen Roche (excuse the pun). But it is just not credible that a clean rider can be breaking climbing records in the alps whilst admitting to riding into headwinds. Martin also stated that there was a head wind in the previous day's stage. OK, he dropped off today, but not by much at all.

As for the sport, in general, it is back to stinking to high heaven. Sky are a disgrace, among other teams, of course. How many times does Brailsford have to be caught openly lying about his, and the team's activities, before the penny drops. Remember money, and large amounts of it, can bury any lie. Other high profile sports are no different. It's just that doping is much more obvious in endurance sports.

gerhard dengler

Thomas wins again. Great stage. Bernal rode excellently today, a super talent.

No one would have predicted this with Thomas beforehand and it's there for him to win now.

Only one MTF left and outside of that he should get through the rest. He's a very capable TTer and with 1:39 to Froome and 1:50 to Dumoulin, he has more than enough to hold them off.

It will be interesting to see how the dynamics at Sky will play out in the days ahead.

No real sprinters left in the race with Greipel, Gaviria, Cav out. Sagan has green sown up again.
Can't watch the sport anymore.
The UCI's refusal to deal with the doping issue, has eliminated whatever small amount of credibility the sport possessed.

gooner

Can't watch the sport anymore.
The UCI's refusal to deal with the doping issue, has eliminated whatever small amount of credibility the sport possessed.
Understandable.

The Tour can be a nightmare to enjoy with endless arguments every summer between the believers and non-believers. A joyless event with 2015 being the worst example.

I have to detach myself from reading it and temporarily suspend judgment.

Dadaist

Understandable.

The Tour can be a nightmare to enjoy with endless arguments every summer between the believers and non-believers. A joyless event with 2015 being the worst example.

I have to detach myself from reading it and temporarily suspend judgment.
It's a real pitty it has to be this way.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies