• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

DAA: Dublin Airport Atrocity

Bea C

Hello from an internet cafe on the Italian Riviera - where I am sitting, jumper on, cold, as it pours rain and the sky rolls with thunder :roll:
Anyway, Dublin airport this bank holiday weekend.
I've never come across worse.
I arrived into terminal 2 on Friday morning at 8:25 for an 11 flight - which I ended up running for.
I was queuing to check in for 55 minutes, then twenty to get past the first security/boarding pass point.
Then nearly half an hour to get through the scanners.
Then, it was chaotic trying to get my breakfast - which I ended up having to simply walk away from.
I RAN through the cosmetics' hall, grabbing the bare necessities.
It's the first time since it started that I didn't avail of shop and collect: I simply didn't have the time.
I spent a quarter of what I usually do (that'll concern all yee heterosexual men reading this greatly).
I ended up boarding without the paper, Phoenix or Private Eye.
It was such a zoo.

Fr.Ted Crilly

Hello from an internet cafe on the Italian Riviera - where I am sitting, jumper on, cold, as it pours rain and the sky rolls with thunder :roll:
I arrived into terminal 2 on Friday morning at 8:25 for an 11 flight - which I ended up running for.
I was queuing to check in for 55 minutes, then twenty to get past the first security/boarding pass point.
Then, it was chaotic trying to get my breakfast - which I ended up having to simply walk away from.
It's the first time since it started that I didn't avail of shop and collect: I simply didn't have the time.
I spent a quarter of what I usually do (that'll concern all yee heterosexual men reading this greatly).
It was such a zoo.
Should have flown with Ryanair!

B

birthday

It was such a zoo.
At least we only spent a billion on it. Imagine if the brown paper envelope party had been able to push it to €2 billion!

I think the weather on the continent is set to improve, if that helps.
Basking sunshine here today.

Samell

I must confess the only time I've been completely satisfied wid D AA is when I used d route planner to get to Dublin Airport.

The rest of the time it is a mad chaotic scramble. Too few toilets, poor service, over priced food lack of seating, few power points to plug in to do some work whilst waiting for delayed flights, no seating or cheap parking if you are meeting an incoming flight, the list goes on.

There is more comfort for animals at a Mart than supplied by DAA.

dizillusioned

Tutt Tutt Bea C... Hello from Chicago having left on Friday the airport was busy but manageable. You should have always boarded using the Bag Tag machines load and boarding takes little time. Spend an extra 4.25 or 4.50 and take the fast track service through security. I have the advantage of being a Gold Circle member and hence don't queue up with others for check-in. If you are only heading away for a few days then only on-board luggage is needed and hence no need for the queuing at all.

Teminal 2 has its flaws but thankfully it is not as bad as T1 used to be before it was built.

Oh by the way, I was there at 9.20 for an 11.20 flight, didn't see any issues at all... and we missed each other.;)

The Field Marshal

Had you told me in time Bea C I could have arranged to fly you out in a private jet and avoid all those plebs in Dublin airport.
Let me know your desired date of return and I may be able to arrange something more salubrious.

Bea C

Tutt Tutt Bea C... Hello from Chicago having left on Friday the airport was busy but manageable. You should have always boarded using the Bag Tag machines load and boarding takes little time. Spend an extra 4.25 or 4.50 and take the fast track service through security. I have the advantage of being a Gold Circle member and hence don't queue up with others for check-in. If you are only heading away for a few days then only on-board luggage is needed and hence no need for the queuing at all.

Teminal 2 has its flaws but thankfully it is not as bad as T1 used to be before it was built.

Oh by the way, I was there at 9.20 for an 11.20 flight, didn't see any issues at all... and we missed each other.;)
You musta been on a different planet, I dunno!
Maybe in that hour it chilled out.
I thought by 8am though the frenzy had died down, but bank holiday weekends, I suppose.
Oh, as for that fast track thing, for some reason the security woman left that, so they'd to join us scrubbers - ie they were skipping ahead of us scrubbers. One bloke with a Louis Vuitton bag attempted to shove me out of the way when I reached the top.
Let's just say he didn't succeed :)

Bea C

Had you told me in time Bea C I could have arranged to fly you out in a private jet and avoid all those plebs in Dublin airport.
Let me know your desired date of return and I may be able to arrange something more salubrious.
Thanks!
What I'm most bitter about is the cosmetics' hall, I always love pottering about that for ages!
I try out new products and everything :(
I was such a pig by the time I boarded the flight, then again everybody was!

gijoe

Bea, if your only going for the bank holiday weekend what were you doing checking-in and putting luggage in the hold for? That's the major hiccup on your part surely. If you had checked-in online everything should have been ticketyboo.

dizillusioned

Typical .. I bet Bea is the one in front of you at the security check,that has to wait for the last minute to get shoes off, open the bag, look for the liquids, search for a clear bag to put them in, then has change in pockets forgets the belt on the second time, not to mention taking an age to put all the stuff back on while all the plastic trays build up behind hers.

Analyzer

DAA

Dear (as in expensive) Airport Authority.

1 Billion Euro on a terminal, and it includes a cheap set of stairs that would be less than the standard of the old terminal. I don't know how they do it.

And now we find out that there is a bottleneck at the booking desk. Strangely enough, people are nbot using the ticket printing machines. What is going on there ?

Are DAA trying to make Ryanair, and the "print your own ticket" approach look entirely sensible and reasonable ? Perhaps Ryanair did it to circumvent BS from Airport Authorities ?

Eddie C

Some years ago - pre-T2 - I arrived into Dublin Airport late in the evening on a day in between Stephens day and New Years Eve, it was relatively quiet and I'd bags to collect. As I say it was fairly quiet and I arrived into a smallish area with two baggage carousels and at the end a sign saying 'customs'. I wasnt going to go off down to 'investigate' what was down nearer the end of this area in case the customs guys got suspicious, one guy solo returning from Europe. I waited and waited, 'Nante' and 'Milan' were showing on the baggage carousels. I think in the end I decided I'd simply head off home, no bags, I wuz there about an hour. As I walked down twds where the exit and customs are, here I spot a small door (the customs area is out sharp left) here I spot a door into a HUGE hanger-sized area where ALL the individual airlines each had a baggage unloading area - and there was my solo forlorn-looking bag going round on round on the empty carousel. I could have bitten thru' massed concrete!
People said did you not see 'the screens'? I said and say there are NO screens indicating that one has to go off out into the big baggage area, I only saw 'Customs' written on a board down at the end.
This has probably changed since the advent of T2 but if & when I'm in that airport again and encounter this again I'm going to have a talk with someone up there about it.

When I heard about the big fiasco and the Czech plane arriving complete with explosives and no-one had seen a fax notice indicating this plane was to arrive.... it was some kind of intelligence operation by the Czech equivalent of the special branch. Mind you, wasnt it an awful stupid idea of someone to send explosives to Ireland.....!? Jayney.

Eddie C

All is needed is a notice and an arrow simply indicating something like all airlines baggage and an arrow pointing out. Why oh why are two small minority airlines carousels are so near this entry area, if they're only smaller minority why are those carousels not away further?
If someone wants to say about 'screens' etc., I saw NO screens anywhere about where I was to go. It was about late 2006 I think. It may have changed by now.

asterix

Bea, if your only going for the bank holiday weekend what were you doing checking-in and putting luggage in the hold for? That's the major hiccup on your part surely. If you had checked-in online everything should have been ticketyboo.
Travelling carry-on only is of course the best option. However, if you have a bag to check in, then you're often better off not checking in online, because the queue at "bag drop off" can be much longer than the queue at "check in".

The Field Marshal

Thanks!
What I'm most bitter about is the cosmetics' hall, I always love pottering about that for ages!
I try out new products and everything :(
I was such a pig by the time I boarded the flight, then again everybody was!
Great.

On our way home remind me tell the captain to stop over in London for a few hours session at the Berkely Spa.

dresden8

Is it not the airlines who man the check in desks? Are they the ones cheaping out here?

hammer

Another FF disaster.

How much did it cost again ?

1 billion. Peanuts using DELUDED currency.

daveL

It was such a zoo.
Think Dublin Airport is grand. No issues with it other than not enough seating in the departure lounges and a woeful PA system.

Your major issue is you didn't get to shop.

Analyzer

Is it not the airlines who man the check in desks? Are they the ones cheaping out here?
I think you are correct actually. It is usually the air stewards who do this.

But, why are people not making more use of the automatic tool ? These were designed to speed up matters. But, if nobody is using them....