Dáil may sit through Christmas break

Barnacle

Now I missed everything that happened in the Dáil yesterday. I know the Green want this but a spokesman for the Government said yesterday that recalling the Dáil over the usual Christmas break was "a matter for discussion". You would have thought that it was a given fact considering the state we are in and the unrest that out there.

According to this article, Enda Kenny want the Dáil to sit five days a week during December but it does not mention his views on when the Dáil should break up and when it should return. Was this mentioned in the Dáil yesterday? What holidays should they get?

A spokesperson said a post-Christmas recall of the Dáil, which usually takes holidays for most of January, is a "matter for discussion".

Read more: Dáil may sit through Christmas break | Irish Examiner

He added sitting through January "is something the Green Party favours".

Fine Gael leader, Enda Kenny, called for the budget — scheduled for December 7 — to be brought forward to next week.

He said the House should sit for five days a week throughout December and pass a "slimmed down" Finance Bill before Christmas to pave the way for an election.
Dáil may sit through Christmas break | Irish Examiner

Aindriu

Will they feck as like. They didn't sit during their 3 month summer break did they? It might have been useful then. Now we are just a Franco/Germanic colony FFS!

Harmonica

Will they feck as like. They didn't sit during their 3 month summer break did they? It might have been useful then. Now we are just a Franco/Germanic colony FFS!
+1.

The budget and economic situation are the only issues that matter now. The Dail has to sit for full weeks until it is completed. If they get it done before Christmas they can have their break otherwise they should continue as long as it takes.

Newffowner

Long Christmas break means election in March or April, more time to stuff their pockets

Barnacle

+1.

The budget and economic situation are the only issues that matter now. The Dail has to sit for full weeks until it is completed. If they get it done before Christmas they can have their break otherwise they should continue as long as it takes.

I think we can let them have Christmas Day off! But I agree with you, the Christmas break should not be taken. Could you imagine the international headlines "Country is Broke but Leader Take-a-Break".

leroy42

This does gives lie to the mantra given by Cowed and FF that they are holding off an election only because of national interest.
It is clear that their decision to put back the 4 year plan from Nov 7th created unhappiness in Europe and probably sped up the IMF/EU coming in.
With that, it is clear that they are looking for clear and decisive action, having such downtime over Christmas doesn't exactly show we are taking this seriously.
Bring forward the budget, the 4 year plan is basically it anyway, and get the legislation through before year end. Election can then be held in January.
Seems pretty straightforward to me and anything else just seems to be delaying tactics.

Verhofstadt

Website
Week between Xmas and New Year should be off (for the sake of the staff rather than the deputies themselves).. then back to work in the Dail on Monday 3rd of Jan.. bank holiday or not!

Astral Peaks

Situation is now so serious that our Dail has become part of the problem!
Not just FF, but the whole shambolic lot of them.

FG/Lab should lead a public disavowal of the Govt and immediate demand for cross party and business leader involvment in any policy decisions being considered.

I know that this sounds like a rejection of due process and an abrogation of democracy but I contend that this is happening anyway.

It appears that we have only a few days, Govt sources seem to be suggesting that a deal will be completed by Monday.

The Sovereign needs to be seperated fron the Banks and a controlled default of the bank debt negotiated.
We simply cannot afford the Bank bailout/loan at the rates proposed.

We have a reasonably good economy, with good prospects, are we going to allow Ireland to become an economic wasteland to satisfy the vanity of FF and to spare the blushes of Merkel and the ECB, both of whom have seriously screwed up.?

Posted this on another thread, but it is relevant here.

Anybody agree?

This situation will accelerate, we have to get out of our little comfort zone.

smitchy2

Week between Xmas and New Year should be off (for the sake of the staff rather than the deputies themselves).. then back to work in the Dail on Monday 3rd of Jan.. bank holiday or not!
Agreed and the Dail should be sitting 5 days a week to get the bills through.
FF will play politics and wait to pass these bills in February to change their leader.
Hopefully the Greens hold through to their January election target.

bándearg

Can't see it happening. FF will be delaying as long as possible for a spring, nice weather election with enough time for them to axe Cowen and install a new leader. This is FF - the election will be their focus.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
A few quotes on this from Dan Boyle on Facebook this morning.
I'm sure he won't mind me making public:
We want the the Finance Bill brought forward ... We want a shorter Christmas recess... I think Enda's comments in the Dáil yesterday were helpful.

bándearg

Thanks for that Quizmaster. While this will lead to tension, will the Greens have the bottle to pull out early before the finance bill is passed when FF inevitably stall for time? I would suggest they don't.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
FG should make any support and abstension on the budget conditional on the Dail only breaking up on Dec. 23rd and returning on 29th. We can still get an election on late January/ early February, if people apply themselves.

Last edited:

Mushroom

In the past few years the practice of the Taoiseach of the day heading off to faraway climes in an effort to drum up jobs / investment in Ireland has sprung up. These promotional tours generally take place during the Christmas/New Year Dáil recession and involve use of the Government jet and staying in 7 star hotels wherever possible.

Does anyone know if such a tour is planned for Jan 2011? If so, then surely the Biff is the man to go - given that he is a high-profile, internationally-recognised statesman thanks to Jay Leno and the Ardilaun Affair! (If necessary, he could be put in a cage, so foreign investors could poke him with long pointy sticks.)

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Thanks for that Quizmaster. While this will lead to tension, will the Greens have the bottle to pull out early before the finance bill is passed when FF inevitably stall for time? I would suggest they don't.
No I think they just have to vote for any FG/Lab amendment to the xmas arrangements.
The worst Cowen can do is fire them. So they cross the floor. But they can still vote for the budget.

anarko

good point mushroom
we need to maximise and utilise the exposure ireland inc is getting right now
bord failte have an amazing marketing oppurtunity on there hands,....petunia

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
In the past few years the practice of the Taoiseach of the day heading off to faraway climes in an effort to drum up jobs / investment in Ireland has sprung up. These promotional tours generally take place during the Christmas/New Year Dáil recession and involve use of the Government jet and staying in 7 star hotels wherever possible.

Does anyone know if such a tour is planned for Jan 2011? If so, then surely the Biff is the man to go - given that he is a high-profile, internationally-recognised statesman thanks to Jay Leno and the Ardilaun Affair! (If necessary, he could be put in a cage, so foreign investors could poke him with long pointy sticks.)
Can anyone point me in the direction of the government jet, or lend me a spanner?

Barnacle

:p:p Thanks Mushroom, you have given me my first chuckle of the day.

bándearg

No I think they just have to vote for any FG/Lab amendment to the xmas arrangements.
The worst Cowen can do is fire them. So they cross the floor. But they can still vote for the budget.
Good point. With their absence in the Dáil and what has leaked from the cabinet meeting last night, it's clear they were on the verge of being fired anyway.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies