Dail votes against moving writ to hold Dublin South by election

SideysGhost

Hmm. And did I hear aright that there were, most conveniently, 7 missing FG TDs?

Asparagus

The Dáil has voted down a motion to move the writ for the Dublin South Elections.

The vote was 71 Tá -76 Níl.
There is no justification for this other than seizing power - The previously given reason that byelections would distract the government from important decisions is moot given the fact that there will be one this month

this government is rogue and effectively operating without a mandate.

jacko

6 FG deputies absent

Kenny is a joke as leader - a spineless fool who has no real interest in taking power before the budget

Chrisco

Given that it is a FG vacancy, this is surely FF tearing up all Dáil precedent by denying the party that previously held the seat the right to move the writ?

PUFF DADDY

Can we get the facts on the "missing tds" regardless of which party first ?

Rocky

Given that it is a FG vacancy, this is surely FF tearing up all Dáil precedent by denying the party that previously held the seat the right to move the writ?
It is indeed. But at that this is the second time Fine Gael have moved the writ for Dublin South so they have already teared up Dail precedent.

Aindriu

The seven brave men executed in May 1916 must be spinning in their graves today. They died for nothing as the Ireland they dreamed of is dead and buried.

Fianna FAIL - the Republican party? Yeah right!!

We need to take this country back from the gombeen men of the Greens and Fianna FAIL. Neither must ever be allowed to be in power again for they have destroyed the country I love.

sic transit

Can we get the facts on the "missing tds" regardless of which party first ?
+1
Rumour masquerading as fact seems to be a way of life for some posters.

dalywise

You have to hand it to the Greens though. When they're bought, they stay bought.

JJ5000

As I understand it, Gormless is absent today so the opposition may be holding back at least 1 TD.

Rocky

There is no justification for this other than seizing power - The previously given reason that byelections would distract the government from important decisions is moot given the fact that there will be one this month

this government is rogue and effectively operating without a mandate.
I'll get my gun and meet you on Kildare Street in an hour.

Amach na Casca

6 FG deputies absent

Kenny is a joke as leader - a spineless fool who has no real interest in taking power before the budget
If confirmed this is a damning indictment of Kenny and his leadership. It also begs the question what kind of leader Kenny will be if he does become Taoiseach soon. All the evidence points towards a weak ineffective leader who would make bluffo look competent. :eek:

Niccolo Macchiavelli

Niall Ó Brolcháin was clear last night on Vincent Browne that the Greens supported holding all bye-elections immediately but was equivocal about whether they would vote to support that position. It's clear we have our answer today.

I had been reserving some sympathy for the junior coalition partners demise, but no longer. Bye-bye Greens.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies