Dáil votes in favour of taking next Tuesday off

The Dude

I'm not surprised that Fianna Fáil didn't want this, but I think an explanation from Enda and Co. After the fuss being made about how there'll be a debate on the economy in the house next week I'd have thought that FG would have turned out in force to oppose this.

nonpartyboy

Nero fiddled while..............

Hewson

At this point I'd prefer if the whole bloody lot of them took the rest of the year off. In fact if they take 2011 off as well we might have some chance of economic recovery. They don't know their butts from their briefs when it comes to figures.

We'd also save a wad in pay and expenses, light, heat and, of course, the bar subsidy.

166 wasters.

goosebump

Fine Gael abstained from the vote, yet claims it wants to debate the economy?
Yes, that's what the economy needs now: lots of debate.

EoinMn

Website
eoinmadden.ie
I'm disappointed in the Greens.

But at least they had an opinion. FG abstained! WTF! Bunch of big girls' blouses.

Akrasia

total disgrace.
pathetic
every single person who voted for this or abstained from the vote should be taken out and shot.

Number2

Legislation should be introduced to force all these wasters to do the job they're elected and handsomely paid to do.

The lot of them should be in work 5 days a week. With 20 days holidays a year.

Half the time, these government and opposition wasters are floating around the country cutting ribbons, kissing babies, and attending funerals.

Next time you see your local TD knocking-about in the constituancy during a Dail sitting day, kindly tell him or her to get back to work, because you're paying through the nose for their massive salary and expenses.

They are supposed to be running the country, not engaging in local popularity contests.

anewbeginning

Democracy, well in an Irish context, doesn't really work. I'm convinced of that.

We need a Presidential system like that in Russia or France, who has more power than the parliament and can order the parliament to do certain things such as not go on holidays.

That's part of the political reform we need in this country.

In our Dail, it seems the majority of idiots always have their way in the end. Our Dail is made up of plebs really, elected by plebs. Allowing plebs run a country will always end in disaster as the plebs are stupid and incompetent.

Odyessus

If posters had read the report referred to, they would see that the government intends to hold a cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

I know many people seem to believe that if the Dail is not in session, politicians have nothing else to do, so they must have the day off.

I would expect people here who have any knowledge of the political system would know better.

Raketemensch

Yes, that's what the economy needs now: lots of debate.
So you are saying that what the Dail do has no effect on the economy so it doesn't matter if they go to work or not.
I completely agree. Then why the hell are we paying them so much money that could be spent either on public services or on on paying off our debts? Leinster house is a vast money pit.

anewbeginning

Odyessus, many TDs have second jobs, as doctors, publicans, etc.

If several TDs have time for second full time jobs, do you seriously think the rest are also not taking it easy most of the time?

As for constituency work, they hold perhaps one clinic a week if that, and the rest of the time they have assistants to do 90% of the work.

CorkHurler

They all fight so hard to get in there and when they are elected all they seem to want to do is get back to their constituencies as quickly as possible. Some of them would be happier if they didnt have to come up to Leinster House at all.

anewbeginning

So you are saying that what the Dail do has no effect on the economy so it doesn't matter if they go to work or not.
I completely agree. Then why the hell are we paying them so much money that could be spent either on public services or on on paying off our debts? Leinster house is a vast money pit.
+1.

We need a system where we elect a strong intelligent president for 4 or 5 years, with powers to implement policy.

After that we could have a small parliament of no more than 60 members who would be the ministers and the opposition.

We simply cannot afford 166 TDs in the current climate, it's complete madness.

And notice how reluctant the TDs are to cut the number of TDs. Complete hypocrits.

greengoose2

If posters had read the report referred to, they would see that the government intends to hold a cabinet meeting on Tuesday.

I know many people seem to believe that if the Dail is not in session, politicians have nothing else to do, so they must have the day off.

I would expect people here who have any knowledge of the political system would know better.
How many TDs attend cabinet meetings? I think that would be directly related to the number of Cabinet Ministers?

As for certain ex taoisigh from Drumcondra... do they attend daily or are they driven, at the taxpayers expense, to fiction book launches whilst mitching from the Dail? petunia

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies