Dál Riata

McSlaggart

"I hope Scotland and Nicola Sturgeon realise how much they may yet owe Boris Johnson. If I were a Scot, I would vote for independence tomorrow. I would want nothing more to do with the shambles of today’s Westminster parliament, which goes on holiday for a month during the worst political crisis in a generation. Labour’s John McDonnell is entirely correct to reassure the Scots of their right to secede from the United Kingdom. The supreme civil right is that to self-government, and the inferior tier of a federation is entitled to claim it, not the superior one to permit.

Scotland has now voted itself a separatist Scottish National party local government unchallenged for 12 years. The party is 20 points ahead in the polls, while support for independence has topped 52%, the same percentage that voted for Brexit across the UK in 2016."

Ruth Davidson sends poll dossier showing Yes victory to Johnson
sends-poll-dossier-showing-yes-victory-to-johnson-1-4978136

Ulster Unionism is closer to Scotland than any other part of the UK. What I am not seeing from Ulster Unionism is any action to deal with the rise of independence in Scotland. The question for "unionism" and the DUP in particular what is the plan for keeping the UK together? Is it better to have Brexit and risk the breakup of the UK?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Just chatting with an English colleague and she has made the point that the defenders of the greatness of Britain seem to be indulging in a fit of hooliganism with the major British institutions, not realising the institutions they are attacking are the closest thing to greatness Britain ever achieved.

(1) Attacking at second hand the position of the monarchy via the strain on the union produced by Brexit,

(2) Attacking the Union itself, albeit unwittingly

(3) Attacking institutions such as the BBC, The National Health Service, British Airways via disruption to its business plan as a global carrier, the service sector in the City of London.

(4) Attacking the value of sterling itself.

If that describes the Tories at the moment I'd hate to see what would happen if you had a set of skinheads running the place.

McSlaggart

If that describes the Tories at the moment I'd hate to see what would happen if you had a set of skinheads running the place.
I do not think a set of skinheads would do so much damage. Boris is hated in Scotland and in the EU.

McTell

Twitter
No
It is tough on the scots, becos if there's a no deal brexit, and they vote to leave the uk,
they are then in the Q behind albania to get back into the eu.

Unless they decide to join us and become our new "north-eastern province", and come along for the Big Win.

Mickeymac

It is tough on the scots, becos if there's a no deal brexit, and they vote to leave the uk,

Unless they decide to join us and become our new "north-eastern province", and come along for the Big Win.

Good point actually, Enda got a guarantee from the EU re Ireland, Scotland on the other hand have not.

recedite

Don't think that's how it works.
How long has Turkey been in the queue now, 20 or 30 years?

McTell

Twitter
No
We could set up a trade for the right (richest, cleverest, sunniest) provinces that want to be "free", and then take them back into the eu.

Catalunya? Sisplau!

Pyewacket

We could set up a trade for the right (richest, cleverest, sunniest) provinces that want to be "free", and then take them back into the eu.

Catalunya? Sisplau!
Or you could do the Putin thing, and set them up to fight against each other.

Like that has really worked out for all of us.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies