Damson Jam

lilesosanne

Website
jobpathmyexperienceoftheemploymentandskillsprogram.wordpress.com
Twitter
@lilesosanne
Does anyone know why my damson jam, won't well, jam. I boil it with the right amount of sugar until it reaches setting point. I pour it into the jars and it goes like juice !
Boiled it, the juice, again the next day and exactly the same - added some red currents just in case there was a lack of pectin.

I have damson juice and I need jam.

Any explanations, suggestions welcome as the whole tree is laden with them and they need to be jam.

former wesleyan

Does anyone know why my damson jam, won't well, jam. I boil it with the right amount of sugar until it reaches setting point. I pour it into the jars and it goes like juice !
Boiled it, the juice, again the next day and exactly the same - added some red currents just in case there was a lack of pectin.

I have damson juice and I need jam.

Any explanations, suggestions welcome as the whole tree is laden with them and they need to be jam.
Wrong about the currants for a start. Plums and berries don't mix. Add a little apple, the juice of a lemon and put the lemon pips in a holder or a bit of muslin if you don't want them in the jam. You can also cheat by buying a bag of jam sugar.

You're welcome.

soubresauts

Ah, ripe damsons are the finest of fruit. You cannot get better!

So what if it's a bit runny! Treat it all with reverence.

I once had a bounty of very ripe damsons. They were so sweet I decided to make jam without adding sugar. It worked! It was probably a bit runny, but I just remember it as being the finest thing I ever created. 100% wild damsons. Rare, precious and wonderful.

In any case, make sure to eat plenty of the ripe damsons before you make the jam. They are the best, for body and soul.

soubresauts

Damsons are wild plums, usually found in hedgerows. Does anyone cultivate them seriously?

Ripe damsons are small and dark blue-grey, and have the most intense flavour of all plums.

If you find a damson tree you'll want to watch it come September/October as the fruit nears ripeness. Then, just as you decide "today's the day to pick the damsons", you go along and find them -- gone. That's the usual experience. Somebody else knows about the tree. And that somebody else will probably pick them before they're fully ripe.

blokesbloke

I read somewhere you have to use cane sugar not sugarbeet sugar.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
Wrong about the currants for a start. Plums and berries don't mix. Add a little apple, the juice of a lemon and put the lemon pips in a holder or a bit of muslin if you don't want them in the jam. You can also cheat by buying a bag of jam sugar.

You're welcome.
Redcurrents do hold a lot of pectin and can be used the same as, as you quite rightly say, lemons and apples.

lilesosanne

Website
Twitter
@lilesosanne
Ah, ripe damsons are the finest of fruit. You cannot get better!

So what if it's a bit runny! Treat it all with reverence.

I once had a bounty of very ripe damsons. They were so sweet I decided to make jam without adding sugar. It worked! It was probably a bit runny, but I just remember it as being the finest thing I ever created. 100% wild damsons. Rare, precious and wonderful.

In any case, make sure to eat plenty of the ripe damsons before you make the jam. They are the best, for body and soul.
Just to make you jealous, the wild damson is not only in my garden but just outside my door, I can almost pick them without going outside. Yep, damson pie, damsons in the fruit bowl nom nom nom.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Cheat.

Use sugar with pre-added pectin. It's much easier. And you won't have to boil it indefinitely, which will mean the cooking time will be shorter and the flavour will be that much better, fresher and sharper.

I've been picking my Boysen berries at rate of about 250 g twice a week, adding 2:1 jam-making sugar and getting about 350 to 400 g of delicious jam in about ten minutes' work.

Boysen berries, like the blackberries they're as good as identical to, have practically no pectin in them. They always had to be mixed with apples to make jam until jam-making sugar came along.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies