• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Dan McLaughlin Rides Again!

B

birthday

Where has Bank of Ireland's one and only Dan McLaughlin been for the last 18 months?
What a pleasure it was to read his latest views in last weeks Irish Times!

It is good to see that the Irish Times, with all their current difficulties, can still maintain a sense of humour by including contributions from this wizard!

carlovian

You mean there wont be a "Soft Landing " ???

onthefence

Its funny I too was wondering where he was hiding. I could not waste time reading the article, did it have ANYTHING worth quoting?

mccafferty cat

FF's favourite economist comes out of hiding.

Dan McLoughin, photographed in June 2007, predicting a "soft landing" for the Irish economy

Ah Well

Tis a bit like "Reeling Back the Years" - we're reminded of a past voice and think god yeah I remember that :)

Kf

Its amazing he is still employed as an economist.

GordonGekko

Dan 'The Phoenix' McLaughlin rises from the ashes of our fundamentally sound economy.

Is this a sign that NOW is the time to buy?

wysiwyg

I had a good old laugh myself earlier on today..

I had reason to be sitting in a branch of AIB, and I picked up an in-house bank magazine, well was from Goodbody's stockbrokers.

My eye was caught by the headline on the front cover outlining shares that Goodbodys were predicting were "on the rise", and were a "good time to buy into"..

Lo and behold, one of the preferred shares was AIB itself... and I had a quick look inside to see what Goodbodys had to say about AIB's future prospects.. .

When I looked inside.. AIB were listed at €8.90.. my eyes nearly popped out of my head.. so I flicked back to the front cover.. and it turns out it was the September 2008 issue.. 6 months old..

I casually asked one of the staff what their AIB shares were worth today, and she smiled and said "Oh, I think they're back up around 60 cent.. thank God"

Thank God ?????

There f***ing chancers were talking them up at 8.90 six months ago.. they have dropped practically 90% since then... and the shareholders think "Thank God"...

Is it any wonder people still vote for FF in this country ???

Abacus

He always reminds me of one of the hitmen in 'The Magnificent Seven'.
Can't figure out which one tho'.

B

birthday

Just listening to RTEs Today at Five and heard Bank of Ireland's Dan McLaughlin talking about an upturn in the property market.........
'In spring the garden will grow' said Chauncey, the character played by Peter Sellers in the 1979 film 'Being There'
This movie should be mandatory weekly viewing for the Board and all Senior Management in Bank of Ireland as long as the receive any state aid.
Or maybe they should be forced to run a new series of '100 steps to better banking' with gardeners providing advice and guidance on how to run a bank.

SamVimesBoots

Just shows how completely and utterly shameless these vermin are.

Hanging's too good for the likes of Desperate Dan.

irish_shrink

Would that be an economically prudent use of rope, in these fiscally challenging times?

hammer

Did he write Berties economic speeches ?

Mr. Optimistic ? More like Mr. Haven`t a clue and I`m up batting for Bank of Ireland

PS Keep your head down you tw............at

Jock_the_Waster

Just listening to RTEs Today at Five and heard Bank of Ireland's Dan McLaughlin talking about an upturn in the property market.........
'In spring the garden will grow' said Chauncey, the character played by Peter Sellers in the 1979 film 'Being There'
This movie should be mandatory weekly viewing for the Board and all Senior Management in Bank of Ireland as long as the receive any state aid.
Or maybe they should be forced to run a new series of '100 steps to better banking' with gardeners providing advice and guidance on how to run a bank.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sAl3iq0J7g"]YouTube - Being There - Original Trailer 1979[/ame]

Covert2007

I had been wondering where the hell that geezer had been hiding, I thought maybe he had high tailed it off to the caymans. I wished he had, and stayed there. He is not wanted.

I really hope that some smart lawyer goes after him for all his snakeoil sales pitches to the young people of Ireland.

If ever section 31 should be put back on the statute books he should be kept him off the airwaves, to prevent a complete collapse of the country into the North Atlantic.

Cassandra Syndrome

I had been wondering where the hell that geezer had been hiding, I thought maybe he had high tailed it off to the caymans. I wished he had, and stayed there. He is not wanted.

He took a sabbatical and did some voluntary work experience with this company.....

toughbutfair

I'm no economist so won't pretend to know what will happen but it is good that THREE economists are all saying the same things.

The goal for the next couple of years should be to make the unskilled people on the dole, learn a skill that will be required when/if we have an upturn. No point in 30,000 I.T jobs being created if we have no I.T people and 100,000 construction workers unemployed scratching their ass.

The dole should be tied in to learning a skill. If you are too lazy to use your time to learn a skill then fukk you.

HarshBuzz

I'm no economist so won't pretend to know what will happen but it is good that THREE economists are all saying the same things.
you have to look at who they are and why they are saying it

for instance, during the bubble, you would quite commonly see Dr Dan pop up on a Monday so say that house prices will continue to rise, Austin Hughes say the exact same thing on a Tuesday and Marian Hunt chime in on the Wednesday.

All 3 were completely wrong about basically everything and have been proven to be so. They should all be working in MacDonalds. They should be ignored, and if you can't do that, their track record should be brought up to ridicule their pathetic analysis.

Now if Nouriel Roubini, Robert Shiller and Joseph Stiglitz all came out and said that the fundamentals of the Irish economy were improving and that strong growth was around the corner, we'd have to take them seriously.

Don't be taken in by the charlatans - again.