• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

johnny365

After two separate incidents involving pit bull terriers in the last week in Tralee town, the question is being asked does a child have to be killed before something is done?. This question is being asked by local Sinn Fein Councillor Cathal Foley who seems to be the only public representative concerned by the issue. The two incidents occurred on Sunday last and this afternoon. The incident on Sunday was the most serious when a 4 year old girl narrowly avoided serious injury in the Shanakill area of the town. The incident involved a vicious and sustained attack on a dog that the child was petting by a stray pit bull. Gardaí arrived and had to baton and pepper spray the pit bull to halt the attack. It was pure luck that the 4 year old girl was not injured.

In the 2nd incident the dog warden and Gardaí responded to a number of calls that three pit bull terriers were roaming in the Oakpark area of the town. Later on in the afternoon cattle were attacked by a pit-bull in a field in the nearby Clash area. The Gardaí have said that Tralee does not have a problem with stray dogs. I disagree as a jogger I get attacked on a regular basis by stray dogs. I have heard many other similar stories from joggers and walkers.

Is the dog warden irrelevant and powerless? I would like to hear the views of others on p.ie about the issues of dangerous/stray dogs in their areas, and what is done about it? Do we need stronger enforcement or new legislation? I support Cathal Foleys view that the issue doesn’t get enough attention and will it take a serious injury/ death to a child before we get proper enforcement?

Also does the dog warden get the necessary support from the courts? Earlier this year two local Tralee criminals launched an attack on a dog warden performing his duties. There sentencing was adjourned so that they could attend a family members wedding. What message does this send out?

Girl, 4, has lucky escape in attack by unmuzzled pitbull | Irish Examiner

Kerry's Eye News Headlines

http://www.radiokerry.ie/news/second-pit-bull-attack-in-tralee/

Brothers guilty of dog wardens attack | Irish Examiner

IbrahaimMohamad

Several commonly available substances in small quantities will kill a dog if injested in small quantities on a suitable bait food.

One poisoned dog leads to hundreds of dogs being withdrawn from uncontrolled wandering through communities.

damus

Several commonly available substances in small quantities will kill a dog if injested in small quantities on a suitable bait food.

One poisoned dog leads to hundreds of dogs being withdrawn from uncontrolled wandering through communities.

Are you suggesting poisoning dogs who are stray or roaming loose?

johnnypockets

You are a little bit scary...

Bea C

Alright, lads, killing dogs is a tad extreme.
And I know a girl who was there last Sunday as that attack went on, she said the dog was with a guy?
I haven't seen the papers

damus

Dogs are very intolerant of minute quantities of copper!

So you're suggesting poisoning dogs then. What about parents teaching their kids not to be going around petting dogs that they don't actually know? The number of times that I have to stop kids coming up and trying to pet my mutt is unbelievable and I am talking about toddlers with their parents nowhere in sight. There's also so many irresponsible dog owners, who let their mutts of the leads in open spaces, who let their dogs out of their out to defaecate, or owners who couldn't be ar*ed spaying their animals or getting them vaccinated. Put simply there's a lot of people who shouldn't be let next to near an animal, let alone kids!

johnny365

And I know a girl who was there last Sunday as that attack went on, she said the dog was with a guy?

No mention of a man in the paper only that it jumped a boundary wall, also suggestions that the dog was being used for illegal fighting.

IbrahaimMohamad

Indeed but I have known people who have resorted to poisoning dogs because of a danger to locals and no action from the local authority.

I can understand people who eliminate dogs which are not under control. In many cases it is simply a matter of people deciding whether the public spaces are for children or dogs?

johnny365

So you're suggesting poisoning dogs then. What about parents teaching their kids not to be going around petting dogs that they don't actually know? The number of times that I have to stop kids coming up and trying to pet my mutt is unbelievable and I am talking about toddlers with their parents nowhere in sight. There's also so many irresponsible dog owners, who let their mutts of the leads in open spaces, who let their dogs out of their out to defaecate, or owners who couldn't be ar*ed spaying their animals or getting them vaccinated. Put simply there's a lot of people who shouldn't be let next to near an animal, let alone kids!

The dogs owner was a family friend and that child had played with that dog before so that is why she was petting it.

Peppermint

After two separate incidents involving pit bull terriers in the last week in Tralee town, the question is being asked does a child have to be killed before something is done?. This question is being asked by local Sinn Fein Councillor Cathal Foley who seems to be the only public representative concerned by the issue. The two incidents occurred on Sunday last and this afternoon. The incident on Sunday was the most serious when a 4 year old girl narrowly avoided serious injury in the Shanakill area of the town. The incident involved a vicious and sustained attack on a dog that the child was petting by a stray pit bull. Gardaí arrived and had to baton and pepper spray the pit bull to halt the attack. It was pure luck that the 4 year old girl was not injured.

In the 2nd incident the dog warden and Gardaí responded to a number of calls that three pit bull terriers were roaming in the Oakpark area of the town. Later on in the afternoon cattle were attacked by a pit-bull in a field in the nearby Clash area. The Gardaí have said that Tralee does not have a problem with stray dogs. I disagree as a jogger I get attacked on a regular basis by stray dogs. I have heard many other similar stories from joggers and walkers.

Is the dog warden irrelevant and powerless? I would like to hear the views of others on p.ie about the issues of dangerous/stray dogs in their areas, and what is done about it? Do we need stronger enforcement or new legislation? I support Cathal Foleys view that the issue doesn’t get enough attention and will it take a serious injury/ death to a child before we get proper enforcement?

Also does the dog warden get the necessary support from the courts? Earlier this year two local Tralee criminals launched an attack on a dog warden performing his duties. There sentencing was adjourned so that they could attend a family members wedding. What message does this send out?

Girl, 4, has lucky escape in attack by unmuzzled pitbull | Irish Examiner

Kerry's Eye News Headlines

Second pit bull attack in Tralee

Brothers guilty of dog wardens attack | Irish Examiner

What do you recommend?

johnnypockets

I can understand people who eliminate dogs which are not under control. In many cases it is simply a matter of people deciding whether the public spaces are for children or dogs?

If the dog owners are responsible, it doesn't have to be one OR the other.

damus

Are those breeds not supposed to be muzzled?

johnny365

Are those breeds not supposed to be muzzled?

Yes a pit bull is one of the eleven breeds of dog covered under the Dangerous Dogs Act so they should be muzzled on a lead at all times and not to be handled by anyone under 16 years of age.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom