• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Dangerous fools: The Irish elite's reaction to Brexit

Volatire

Peter Sutherland's views tend to be an accurate guide to groupthink prevailing in Ireland's incestuous ruling elite. Therefore it was particularly sad to read his asinine views on Brexit expressed in the IT this morning.

Sutherland says Ireland should aligning itself to EU

Describing the outcome of the British referendum as “a disaster”, Mr Sutherland said Ireland’s strategic priority should now be to “stand four square with other EU member states” even if that “may not always lead to happy conclusions for Britain”.
“Britain cannot be outside the EU and have the same relationship in trade and services as it had when it was within it. This has consequences, and they are important, because if there were no consequences you might as well dissolve the EU tomorrow.”
In fact, the Irish strategic and economic interest is directly the opposite to the course advocated by Mr Sutherland. Ireland must act as an aggressive lobbyist to help ensure the best possible exit deal and a successful Brexit. We have the greatest exposure to the UK of any EU economy by far. When the UK economy does well, we do even better.

What is the purpose of standing "four square with other EU member states" to punish the UK? Why is it in our interest to try to damage the UK economically? This is just unhinged.

The question changes but somehow the Irish elite's answer is always the same. Closer integration with core EU. The brand of ideological fückwittery promoted by Sutherland etc has massive upside for a tiny cabal of Irish people, and a large downside for the rest of us.

“I feel terrible. I feel that the European Union is the most noble political project in a thousand years of European history. Sharing sovereignty is a noble project which, after centuries of division and war, has created an entirely new situation in Europe."
Brexit ought to be positive for this country. However it may once again expose the fact that this country is run by dangerous fools.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
It is a pity that Mr Sutherland's employers didn't use the same methodology they used to fake Greece's entry conditions to the EU when we most needed a lot of debt to vanish.

What we really need now is a load of political advice from a fat flat-packed colon like him. He's like a sort of Angela Kerins with airmiles. A zeppelin of self-interest and a company credit card.

D

Deleted member 34656

Decrying past divisions while demanding future divisions.

Yes. Very clever.

Half Nelson

Sutherland's attitude is the precise reason we have Brexit.

People are sick and tired of being lectured by snobby fatcats who believe they know what's best for the little people.

What was Sutherland discussing or doing in the Bilderberg Group and Trilateral Commission?..... Me neither!

But I'm sure it was all for our benefit.... as decided by Sutherland.

Karloff

Ireland is in a bit of a catch 22 like the Netherlands.

We have huge trade with UK and want to see that trade preserved. Yet if the deal is too good then this will encourage further breakaways.

This will not be good for Ireland, the EU cannot make things easy for Britain and we are only a small voice in the EU.

The thing is, at this point in time the UK does not even have to exit. They can do what they want, parliament is sovereign not the people, the Constitution such as it is means little. Maybe they are hoping for concessions and then will avert leaving?

storybud1

Sutherland of course is well placed to keep Goldman Sachs tentacles in Ireland strong. I do not trust the end game of the EU, Geithner / Trichet and the other boll1xes that screwed the next generation got away scott free,

The fact that Brexit happened is the first time a get out chance was offered, Lisbon, Nice, really showed up how little they thought of us, I am still in awe of how the British people stood up to Obama and the rest of the Bully boys owned by Wall street.

D

Deleted member 17573

Ireland is in a bit of a catch 22 like the Netherlands.

We have huge trade with UK and want to see that trade preserved. Yet if the deal is too good then this will encourage further breakaways.

This will not be good for Ireland, the EU cannot make things easy for Britain and we are only a small voice in the EU.

The thing is, at this point in time the UK does not even have to exit. They can do what they want, parliament is sovereign not the people, the Constitution such as it is means little. Maybe they are hoping for concessions and then will avert leaving?
This is where the long term strategic view is required, and the most likely longer term scenario is a breakup of the EU. It cannot survive in its present form, and the chances of it achieving the necessary level of political integration that it needs to survive are probably close to zero. Our best interests are served, therefore, by maintaining close relations with the U.K. and protecting and growing our trade with them.

Ruadh

Neo liberal Europe is not happy

If Brexit is a reality then increasing the discomfort to the neo liberals must be a goal and challenging the Brexiteers who want to push their own neo liberalism is important.

The Brexit can be a chance to opose neo-liberalism and to undermine the hold of Britain on part of our country.

Karloff

Neo liberal Europe is not happy

If Brexit is a reality then increasing the discomfort to the neo liberals must be a goal and challenging the Brexiteers who want to push their own neo liberalism is important.

The Brexit can be a chance to opose neo-liberalism and to undermine the hold of Britain on part of our country.
Nonsense, neoliberalism cannot be escaped so easily, the British will likely live in a Tory run country, they will have more deregulation and shrinking of the state than they ever had before. This is the irony of it.

The Europeans are seeing this as just the case of a civil war within the Tories, to be fair to brexiters that is precisely the kind of arrogance and misreading of the situation that really stirs anti-Europe sentiment. To not factor in even the wishes of the millions who did vote and voted out. To only see the Tory angle.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
At the rate things are going with Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland heavily in the Remain camp we may end up discussing the re-emergence of an independent Mercia.

shiel

I wrote the following on another thread. It is just as relevant here.

As one who criticises media I have to say that Tony Connelly on RTE is a magnificent commentator.

He highlighted in detail the enormous significance of what has happened in the UK referendum.

Nearly everyone in a world that is recovering from a deep recession is going to suffer negative consequences of still unmeasurable severity.

And all because the English cannot come to terms with their reduced role in the world.

And they are actually gloating about it.

D

Deleted member 34656

I wrote the following on another thread. It is just as relevant here.

As one who criticises media I have to say that Tony Connelly on RTE is a magnificent commentator.

He highlighted in detail the enormous significance of what has happened in the UK referendum.

Nearly everyone in a world that is recovering from a deep recession is going to suffer negative consequences of still unmeasurable severity.

And all because the English cannot come to terms with their reduced role in the world.

And they are actually gloating about it.
I haven't seen any gloating?

What is happening now is beyond interesting and I suspect many questions will be definitively and truthfully answered in the coming weeks.

I have a great deal of respect for the UK for allowing these issues to be discussed openly at last.

Let's see if the rest of us can behave respectfully towards them.

Irish-Rationalist

Was watching France 24 earlier.

Their discussion of Brexit revolved around how the little people who voted leave really didn't know what they were doing.

An amazing lack of awareness of English nationalism.
I'm just surprised they didn't attribute Brexit to a rise in xenophobia, racism and far-right British politics, such is Europe's woefully poor grasp of internal British politics. Ordinary, decent British people have decided to walk, and the idealistic EU project could now very well witness the beginning of its end.

amist4

Was watching France 24 earlier.

Their discussion of Brexit revolved around how the little people who voted leave really didn't know what they were doing.

An amazing lack of awareness of English nationalism.
Not to mention their own.

antidistinctlyminty (ADM)

Some of the arguments can be summed up as follows

"It's the immigints, I knew it was the immigints, even when it was the bears, I knew it was the immigints" Moe the Bartender

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies