Dangerous homophobia

st333ve

http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0530/paisleyi.html

watch- http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid ... w=bb&mp=rm

Following in his fathers footsteps of the " save ulster from sodomy" campaign, Ian Jr. who calls "those people" as a whole damaging to society is well on his way to becoming another anti-gay promoter in the north.
Mr Paisley is quoted as saying:

'I am, unsurprisingly, a straight person..."
"I am pretty repulsed by gay and lesbianism. I think it is wrong
I think that those people harm themselves and - without caring about it - harm society."

Vulnerable groups who are potential victims of discrimination should be able to look to him for help, not attack.
Ian Paisley is a junior minister in the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister, the department which is charged with promoting equality.

Sinn Féin response -
we demand he appolagises, this is dangerous homophobia.

Gay rights campaigner Andrew Muir response -
"Our research proves that 29% of young people have actually attempted suicide because of homophobia in society and I think these comments are very concerning," he said.

DUP response -
There was no suggestion Mr Paisley's comments were any form of discrimination.

In 2005, Ian Paisley Jr was formally censured by the NI Policing Board for homophobic comments he made about an adviser to then Ulster Unionist leader, David Trimble.

Paisleys Jr.anti-gay past.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2005/0203/paisleyi.html

Paisley Seniors anti-gay past.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Ulster_from_Sodomy

Paisleys "save ulster from sodomy" campaign was quickly met with the "save sodomy from ulster" campaign.

beardyboy

Re: Dangerous homophobia.

st333ve said:
Following in his fathers footsteps of the " save ulster from sodomy" campaign, Ian Jr. who calls "those people" as a whole damaging to society is well on his way to becoming another anti-gay promoter in the north.

I think that those people harm themselves and - without caring about it - harm society."

Vulnerable groups who are potential victims of discrimination should be able to look to him for help, not attack.

Ian Paisley is a junior minister in the Office of the First and Deputy First Minister, the department which is charged with promoting equality.

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6705637.stm
good straight talking from paisley

New Avenger

beardyboy said:
st333ve said:

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

Nice of our own resident republican bigot to join us here. Watch now as the usual homophobic rabble, Skinner, Unicorn et al, all stampede to this page to make ejjits of themselves.

Pidge

Absolutely, all these gays need to be taught a lesson.

(That lesson may or may not be that the DUP is composed of bigoted morons...)

st333ve

Weve heard that kind of "straight talking" before from the DUP.
Last time i remember it was from one of their members who turned out to be gay.

So they can now officially add "homophobia" to their list along with "bigots".

beardyboy

New Avenger said:
beardyboy said:
st333ve said:

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

Nice of our own resident republican bigot to join us here. Watch now as the usual homophobic rabble, Skinner, Unicorn et al, all stampede to this page to make ejjits of themselves.
I am not a republican you eejit - I may be an ejjit or is that an eejit?

st333ve

New Avenger said:
beardyboy said:
st333ve said:

DUP response -

Sinn Féin response -

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of times people take a subject and spin it around on republicans or sinn fein.
No reason needed, and no need to comment on the topic either :roll:

A thread on anti-gay unionist DUP comments is met with a reply calling Republicans bigots????? :?:

bobbysands81

Banned
Typical unionist drivel - if you're not a WASP then you've no place in society.

How can a gay person vote for these muppets?

Petros

This shows up a problem with our system of government up here. If Ruth Kelly (his British equivalent) said this she'dprobably have to resign but under the GFA there's no real way to hold Baby Doc accountable as it just turns into a sectarian headcount. He has the civil right to be a bigotted fool if he wants but as a minister he has to learn that his public statements have to reflect policy. Thankfully the Brits have left a very positive legal framework in place (arguably better than in the south) but I'd worry that this is signal that it will be eroded by neglect rather than active discrimination.

Kwame-Nkrumah

This was one of the major problems I had with so called power sharing, when I was a member of SF. SF as a party who supports gay marriage are linked in government with right wing homophobes. Contrary to what st333ve may believe, this homophobia is nothing new for the DUP.

Quite frankly, it should be none of Paisley Jnr's business whether people are gay, straight or bisexual.

Twin Towers

For every force there is an equal and opposite force, not just in the physical world but also within society. As gay culture is forced more and more on society you can expect an equal and opposite reaction.

Petros

Firstly no one is 'forcing' anything on anyone. I'm a straight, married man and my life is not affected in any way by gay civil partnerships/marriages or by public displays of affection between people of the same sex. No one forced the Free P's to make fools of themselves by protesting outside weddings.

Secondly Paisley Jr is a minister not a private citizen. Because the electorate in NI can't throw a party out of government no party can claim any real mandate. If he can't distinguish between his private opinions and public policy he should resign in protest and spare us all.

fergalr

Ian Paisley Jnr is a bigot? Never!

White Horse

st333ve said:

'I am, unsurprisingly, a straight person..."
This is Christianity's view of homosexuality and would be accepted by the vast majority of practising Christians.

Twin Towers

Petros said:
Firstly no one is 'forcing' anything on anyone.
Turn on your TV! Representation of gay culture is everywhere and unavoidable causing an equal reaction. I guess as a consequence of the number of gays a media career attracts.

Petros said:
I'm a straight, married man and my life is not affected in any way by gay civil partnerships/marriages or by public displays of affection between people of the same sex.
Dont get me wrong I agree with you.

Twin Towers

smiffy said:
Twin Towers said:
For every force there is an equal and opposite force, not just in the physical world but also within society. As gay culture is forced more and more on society you can expect an equal and opposite reaction.
That's complete nonsense. Where are all the supporters of slavery, then?
Explain that stupid comment :roll:

Kwame-Nkrumah

Twin Towers said:
Petros said:
Firstly no one is 'forcing' anything on anyone.
Turn on your TV! Representation of gay culture is everywhere and unavoidable causing an equal reaction.
Heterosexual culture is far more prolific in the media. On most TV programmes for example, there is only ever a token homosexual here and there.