• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Daniel Berrigan, U.S. Jesuit anti-war activist (1921-2016)

Utopian Hermit Monk

Ellen Ripley

He died with his boots on.

Rip

D

Deleted member 17573

A truly great man, brave and inspiring. He emerged in an era that produced such men, sadly that era is now over and today's causes neither inspire nor produce inspiring men.
RIP

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The jesuits were always by far the most interesting priests. Berrigan I believe was very much an activist and I seem to recall reading that he and others seized draft records at one stage in the furore over Vietnam back in the states.

Quite an interesting fellow and like a number of jesuits more inclined to politics and action than the more contemplative orders.

There was a thread the other day about the thoughts of the dogmatic on the principle of 'Just War' being debated in the corridors of the Curia. I wonder was that ahead of an awareness of the media attention this anti-war activist's death would produce?

I'd agree with others in the note that they certainly don't make 'em like that anymore.

Utopian Hermit Monk

good summary of his life:

[video=youtube;ODE99vSoDsc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODE99vSoDsc[/video]

blokesbloke

I hadn't heard of him before but he sounds a formidable character and a (positive!) force to be reckoned with.

Truly a life well lived!

RIP.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Perhaps not the right thread for that discussion but the jesuits were a most singular order of the RCC and I would suggest the best educated. Curious in that they did from time to time come into conflict with the reactionary social conservatives- I'm sure that Berrigan would have been castigated by the establishment conservatives in the US as an anti-war activist and of course he would not have fit the profile of the draft-dodging hippy liberal so beloved of the American far right.

For a long time they were the political wing of the RCC and were often found in both camps in any conflict in Latin America, Asia.

From my reading down the years I am left with the impression that they were sidelined substantially in the 1980s with the onset of other factions within the RCC and they seemed to gravitate to the edges- to development roles in the school systems in India and Asia, Latin America generally.

I suppose it is no accident that after the appalling mismanagement of the Benedict papacy and the dreadful PR that came with it that the church has again changed direction and re-employed the jesuits at the centre.

Anyway. Possibly for another thread I recognise.

redneck

The US anti Vietnam war movement provided a great service for very little thanks. Without them the War may have dragged on until the 80's, with the same results but much higher civilian and military casualities.
The was a lot of abuse hurled at the Anti War protestors like "Hanoi Jane" Fonda and Tom Hayden. I don't know too much about Fr Berrigan. Yet he did help stop the madness that was the Vietnam war. I see paralells with the modern Sinn Féin and other Left wingers. He was also anti abortion
RIP

Last edited:
Berrigan brothers were well know anti War campaigners who never stopped be in Vietnam war or protesting against School of The Americas which was used to train Military leaders who happy to overthrow Government.

I see no parallel with any people now as most so called left wingers are happy to take what ever shilling is on offer and dine on the smoked salmon.

Calculusmadeeasy

Rip

gatsbygirl20

A truly great man, brave and inspiring. He emerged in an era that produced such men, sadly that era is now over and today's causes neither inspire nor produce inspiring men.
RIP
He belonged to that rather brief era ( most of it post-Vatican Two) when Catholic priests and the priesthood generally had not been tainted by the revelations of later years, and still carried the possibility of radical, responsible dissent.

The Berrigan Brothers were giant figures for the anti -Vietnam war movement and its generation. Phillip I think was imprisoned, or sentenced to prison...

Daniel was an amazing man. His very existence kept J Edgar Hoover awake at night, plotting smear campaigns against this turbulent priest.

devoutcapitalist

He belonged to that rather brief era ( most of it post-Vatican Two) when Catholic priests and the priesthood generally had not been tainted by the revelations of later years, and still carried the possibility of radical, responsible dissent.

The Berrigan Brothers were giant figures for the anti -Vietnam war movement and its generation. Phillip I think was imprisoned, or sentenced to prison...

Daniel was an amazing man. His very existence kept J Edgar Hoover awake at night, plotting smear campaigns against this turbulent priest.
I say the Berrigan brother activities didn't go down too well amongst the Catholic Church hierarchy from the 60's onwards.

Did Philip leave the priesthood or did he get married secretly?

Karloff

Nebuchadnezzar

As a man of peace he simply recognised a State that would never endorse it, ever and for the simple reason that peace would involve compromises and not getting 110% of what you want.

History has proven this viewpoint correct.
Nope, sometimes true peace does not involve compromise, rather sometimes peace requires truth. What compromise would have resolved WW2 or indeed ISIS today?

Karloff

Nope, sometimes true peace does not involve compromise, rather sometimes peace requires truth. What compromise would have resolved WW2 or indeed ISIS today?
Ok so the Palestinian people are ISIS or Nazis in your reasoning correct?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies