• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Daniel Binchy

Ardillaun

Boy M5

Interesting thank you.

A question, or sweepstake about who gets attached to Hitler?

Is this Godwin's Law brought to its natural conclusion - an OP about the top Nazi?

However, we could reverse it, "natural orator" I was going to make a quip about Ahern, or whether Adolf had a bank account. However, I didn't want to upset the apple tart.

rainmaker

Administrator
Is this Godwin's Law brought to its natural conclusion - an OP about the top Nazi?
No, Godwins involves the comparison of an unrelated thing or person to Hitler or the Nazis in a discussion about an unrelated topic.

Mentioning Hitler or the Nazis in a discussion about Hitler & the Nazis is not invoking Godwins :roll:

Ireniall

The Guardian had some extracts from Binchy's diary describing an early speech by Hitler:

'A born natural orator': Irish student's account of Hitler in 1921 emerges | World news | The Guardian

It's from a new biography with a hefty price tag:

https://bookshop.theguardian.com/catalog/product/view/id/410391/

I must confess that my own previous knowledge of the man did not extend beyond much beyond this poem:

Zeitschrift fr celtische Philologie
I get a chill when reading about those times knowing what is to come yet you are drawn to it like the proverbial moth. Bad times for humanity.

rainmaker

Administrator
He was right about the natural born orator.
Of course he was. It has to be borne in mind this man convinced a civilized, industrialized, first world nation to carry out the most terrible crimes the world has ever seen, & gave humanity it's darkest night of the soul.

Thankfully ordinary Joe public is not able to that.

Karloff

Of course he was. It has to be borne in mind this man convinced a civilized, industrialized, first world nation to carry out the most terrible crimes the world has ever seen, & gave humanity it's darkest night of the soul.

As an Englishman who do you suppose was his English equivalent? For example you are planning to keep killing Indians until they stop resisting, it is 1857. You style yourself as a 'civilised, industrialised first world nation'

And..

rainmaker

Administrator
As an Englishman who do you suppose was his English equivalent? For example you are planning to keep killing Indians until they stop resisting, it is 1857. You style yourself as a 'civilised, industrialised first world nation'

And..
Typical Republican barstool bore. Any discussion steer it around around to the evil Brits :roll:

Tedious and predictable.

Karloff

Typical Republican barstool bore. Any discussion steer it around around to the evil Brits :roll:

Tedious and predictable.
That's the problem. You are very forthright about the wrongs of other peoples but refuse to accept the same for your own people's past - when it is reasonable to do so.

Here is what Charles Dickens said in 1857 about the Indians (and he was the epitome of Victorian civilisation)...

“I wish I were Commander in Chief over there [ India ]! I would address that Oriental character which must be powerfully spoken to, in something like the following placard, which should be vigorously translated into all native dialects, “I, The Inimitable, holding this office of mine, and firmly believing that I hold it by the permission of Heaven and not by the appointment of Satan, have the honor to inform you Hindoo gentry that it is my intention, with all possible avoidance of unnecessary cruelty and with all merciful swiftness of execution, to exterminate the Race from the face of the earth

RasherHash

Are you blaming every German on these alleged crimes?

rainmaker

Administrator
That's the problem. You are very forthright about the wrongs of other peoples but refuse to accept the same for your own people's past - when it is reasonable to do so.
No. This thread is not about me or any other Brits. The problem is you being a mono-topical bore. This topic about someones impressions of Hitler. You joined the thread to make it about the British a century earlier. And about me.

Here's a really radical suggestion & I know you have never considered this; if there is something you want to discuss, start a separate thread about it instead of hijacking other threads & boring everyone with your Republican cliches.

Now, get on topic or go away.

rainmaker

Administrator
Are you blaming every German on these alleged crimes?
Christ almighty. You could only extract that conclusion from that post if you are congenitally thick. Given your record of anti Semitism and holocaust denial it's the only possible explanation.

I have spent a lot of time in Germany and have forgotten more about the place you could possibly Google. You & Karloff make a hilarious tag team.

Karloff

No. This thread is not about me or any other Brits. The problem is you being a mono-topical bore. This topic about someones impressions of Hitler. You joined the thread to make it about the British a century earlier. And about me.

Here's a really radical suggestion & I know you have never considered this; if there is something you want to discuss, start a separate thread about it instead of hijacking other threads & boring everyone with your Republican cliches.

Now, get on topic or go away.
You made your argument around a set of conditions. Genocide by a first world, civilised, technological power and suggested that this was unheard of, unprecedented. I merely pointed out that it was not.

Perhaps if you hadn't couched your criticism of Nazi Germany in such sensationalist and exceptionalist terms my reply would not have been possible. You were in error, that is all.

rainmaker

Administrator
You made your argument around a set of conditions. Genocide by a first world, civilised, technological power and suggested that this was unheard of, unprecedented. I merely pointed out that it was not.
No I didn't moron. Show me anywhere I stated genocide itself was unprecedented? Of course you wont because you can't because I didn't, but claiming this is the only way you can justify your crude derailing & clumsy ad hom.

Now, this is the last time I'm telling you - if you want to discuss British India in the mid 19th century, start a thread.

RasherHash

Christ almighty. You could only extract that conclusion from that post if you are congenitally thick. Given your record of anti Semitism and holocaust denial it's the only possible explanation.

I have spent a lot of time in Germany and have forgotten more about the place you could possibly Google. You & Karloff make a hilarious tag team.
You're so angry all the time, are you posting from a mental hospital or something?

RasherHash

No I didn't moron. Show me anywhere I stated genocide itself was unprecedented? Of course you wont because you can't because I didn't, but claiming this is the only way you can justify your crude derailing & clumsy ad hom.

Now, this is the last time I'm telling you - if you want to discuss British India in the mid 19th century, start a thread.
Lol, this is the last time he's telling you Karloff, best be careful

parentheses

I've never read a biography of Hitler.

When did he become an anti semite?

Boy M5

This thread could have been interesting, instead it is illuminating.
In December, I put Rainmaker on ignore when, characteristically he started trying to score points on a pedantic point, ignoring substantive issues. Though in this case about an illness. In short I found him offensive - not to me but generally. I put Rainmaker on ignore, using energy reading those posts of Rainmaker wasn't morally right.

I thought he'd gone away.

Sadly tonight I discover. This was wrong. As he's the biggest poster on this thread.

So tonight, having a look at this thread I am reminded why, when I see him quoted, why half a year back he went on ignore.

Maybe the rest of ye should follow my example?

RasherHash

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies