Daniel Shaver shooting

Mick Mac

Yeah, presumably that was a swat team and they're trained to deal with situations they're sent to in a specific way and to not deviate from that unless the situation dictates that they do. Hence, they didn't just walk over and cuff an obviously very confused and distressed man who was struggling to follow their instructions. The cop was just following his training.
The much famed militarisation of American police

Mick Mac

Have a second guy cover him, move the shooting cop past him and get a third to cuff him. They had 5 minutes ffs
If they had a third guy perhaps yeah.

Niall996

Have a second guy cover him, move the shooting cop past him and get a third to cuff him. They had 5 minutes ffs
you need to take that up with the people who do the training. There's probably good reasons why they do it that way, probably learnt over time from numerous situations. I get the sense that the cops were following a process that they've been trained to do for some reason.

General Urko

What a country. Terrify the poor fella so much that he can't absorb the multiple aggressive instructions, and then murder him.

That country is off the wall
A no consequences for the killers, reminds one of the old Nordieland!

Mick Mac

Mick Mac

you need to take that up with the people who do the training. There's probably good reasons why they do it that way, probably learnt over time from numerous situations. I get the sense that the cops were following a process that they've been trained to do for some reason.
Fully agree.

But should this have happened? No!

The kid was drunk, a bit stupid but it was the American culture of guns which got him killed.

JimmyFoley

Plenty of Americans are calling it murder on social media too. Saw this yesterday and was horrified. People have no faith in police here... Cops like this assh0le should be in jail.
Certainly not for murder. He obviously didn't want to shoot the man.

Mick Mac

Walk backwards towards the cops with arms raised"
Unfortunately that would not have worked since it would have meant the view to the hotel room was blocked by a guy walking down the hall

Itsalaugh

Unfortunately that would not have worked since it would have meant the view to the hotel room was blocked by a guy walking down the hall
But they were far from behaving cautiously the way they loitered outside the door. A heavy calibre weapon from inside could have taken out the amateurish police officers.

PeacefulViking

Well, is this training designed with the idea that civilian lives are worth less than police officer's lives? Cause they had zero reason to think there was anyone else in the room as far as I can tell and zero reason to think he was really reaching for a gun, so they are basically taking a great chance that the suspect will be shot (even if completely innocent) to decrease a small risk to themselves.

ellie08

A video has recently been released of brave police officers in Arizona shooting a man called Daniel Shraver. Warning: Disturning footage. He is on his knees, crying for his life when he is shot for putting one of his hands down. The police had received reports of a gun pointing out from the hotel room he was in. As it turned out he had been showing some friends a pellet gun he used in his line of work. He did not have the pellet gun or any other weapon on him when he was shot.

The police officer that pulled the trigger was recently acquitted of all charges and after the trial the video was released.

Arizona is a state that strongly supports the Second Amendment by the way. I would think that if you support the population being armed you would expect the police to deal calmly people with reports of guns (especially when you don't have any reports of shots fired or any threats) but apparently Americans feel differently.

Where Do Many Police Departments Train? In Israel

that was probably the most disgusting thing I've ever seen on the internet. What did he do?

PeacefulViking

In Arizona most people are entitled to walk around with firearms if they want to. So if you are are a taxi-driver, shop-keeper or fast food waitress dealing with an angry customer you got to expect they might be armed. Or indeed, any of your customers might be armed and intending to rob you.

People in these professions are just expected to deal with whatever nervousness they may feel from firearms prevalence (and taxi-drivers are murdered at a higher rate than police officers) but police officers in America are entitled to behave in a way that would make Stasi proud because the people they interact with might be armed.

ellie08

In Arizona most people are entitled to walk around with firearms if they want to. So if you are are a taxi-driver, shop-keeper or fast food waitress dealing with an angry customer you got to expect they might be armed. Or indeed, any of your customers might be armed and intending to rob you.

People in these professions are just expected to deal with whatever nervousness they may feel from firearms prevalence (and taxi-drivers are murdered at a higher rate than police officers) but police officers in America are entitled to behave in a way that would make Stasi proud because the people they interact with might be armed.
That fu££er was trigger happy. With certain states having their police force trained by Israeli military, you no longer have a police force, but a police state.

sadcitizen

It should be noted that the guy who did the shooting was not the officer barking the bizarre orders.

I can understand why the shooter shot, based on the video. A man who is reported to have been waving a gun at people reaches into his waistband? I can understand why the shooter got off.

On the other hand, the psychopath officer shouting the orders was completely incompetent and inflamed the situation, and ultimately caused the guy's death.

ellie08

It should be noted that the guy who did the shooting was not the officer barking the bizarre orders.

I can understand why the shooter shot, based on the video. A man who is reported to have been waving a gun at people reaches into his waistband? I can understand why the shooter got off.

On the other hand, the psychopath officer shouting the orders was completely incompetent and inflamed the situation, and ultimately caused the guy's death.

I can't understand why he was shot. I also cannot understand that once he was down on the grown with his hands shown that another office didn't handcuff him, instead telling him to crawl and put his left leg over his right leg. How are you supposed to crawl in that position. Very strange altogether.

dizillusioned

Certainly not for murder. He obviously didn't want to shoot the man.
He didn’t? But yet he shot an unarmed man on the floor in shorts/underwear found not to be armed, having made him do impossible commands and shouting at him for about 5 minutes,,,,

Gin Soaked

What a country. Terrify the poor fella so much that he can't absorb the multiple aggressive instructions, and then murder him.

That country is off the wall
It's funny, over the years, relocation has been discussed at home, and this thread is my big reason against the US.

Quite simply , it is too easy to be killed by incompetent and callous cops.

Top Bottom