• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Danish newspaper apologises in Muhammad cartoons row

pete2

probably been posted already and not sure where it belongs..

COPENHAGEN (AFP) - Danish daily Politiken on Friday apologised to Muslims for possibly offending them by reproducing cartoons of the prophet Mohammed in 2008, but said it did not regret publishing the drawings...

..In the agreement Politiken said it regretted if it had insulted Muslims' faith, but that it did not regret publishing the drawings and that it did not renounce the right to publish the controversial drawings again.

Politiken's apologies were condemned by the Danish political class, who said the paper was caving in to pressure and had sacrificed freedom of expression, which is considered a cornerstone of Danish democracy..
Danish paper sorry for Mohammed cartoon
Making it clear its under duress with all the 'possibly' and 'if' caveats which saves face. Then in the brit guardian..

..Last year 11 Danish newspapers were contacted by the Saudi lawyer Faisal Yamani, who demanded that the Muhammad cartoons were removed from their websites, that the newspapers print an apology and that they promise not to use the cartoons again.

Seidenfaden initially refused Yamani's request for an apology, saying it was the paper's duty to print the cartoons as part of its news coverage after Westergaard became the subject of an alleged murder plot.

Yamani, the lawyer who negotiated the settlement on behalf of the descendants, said: "This is a good settlement. It would be wrong to speak of a victory. Both parties have reached the point where they understand the background to what has happened. Politiken is courageous in apologising, even though its was not their intention to offend anyone."http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/feb/26/danish-cartoons-muhammad-politiken-apology
Mr.Yamani seems pleased too which is great!

Not entirely clear to me how Mr.Yamani would have pursued the paper, unless the threat they were faced with was just constant litigation and wrangling in an effort to bankrupt them. Wonder what the other papers will do faced with the same?

Interista

Not entirely clear to me how Mr.Yamani would have pursued the paper, unless the threat they were faced with was just constant litigation and wrangling in an effort to bankrupt them.
That's exactly what I was wondering. The paper did not in any way break Danish or EU law. In what jurisdiction would Yamani have even been able to bring a case against the paper, since they were clearly not in violation of any relevant law?

Clanrickard

Denmark deserves kudos for sticking up for freedom of speech against the Islamofacists. Less kudos due to other EU memebers for not backing them.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
Denmark deserves kudos for sticking up for freedom of speech against the Islamofacists. Less kudos due to other EU memebers for not backing them.
I seem to recall our own president giving a speech in which she basically condoned the Saudi position on the cartoons. Anyone remember?

Trampas

I seem to recall our own president giving a speech in which she basically condoned the Saudi position on the cartoons. Anyone remember?

attempted link to Indo story 19/2/2006 .......not working.

T

The_Big_Fellow

That is really disappointing. It was a cartoon for flip sake, the point of which was to prove that all to many in the Islamic world were intolerant and that the establishment/left are too quick to bend the knee to the ones that complain. It certainly proved that.

Aristodemus

Pointless apologising to the headhackers. It will make no difference to them. Rushdie tried the same thing in an attempt to placate Khomeini who reissued his fatwa! Most of the muslims who worked themselves up into a lather on this issue were ignorant, uneducated savages who rely on news from the local mullah.

Trampas

Pointless apologising to the headhackers. It will make no difference to them.

Worse than that it emboldens them to demand more and more apologies for everything under the sun while placing the kuffar firmly on the back foot, at least in their eyes.
With our utterly craven Oireachtas just about any level of collective debasement is possible here.

agora

Website
www.doonesbury.com
This is all about money though isn't it? Don't we sell a lot of beef to Arab nations for example? Taking a stand (as Ireland and others haven't done) to support a fellow EU member would mean putting our principles before the pursuit of profit, and where would we be then, eh?

fun tzu

That is really disappointing. It was a cartoon for flip sake, the point of which was to prove that all to many in the Islamic world were intolerant and that the establishment/left are too quick to bend the knee to the ones that complain. It certainly proved that.
You can't blame the left on this one. The religious right are just as likely to bend the knee to another religion. I'd lay the blame on religious apologists of all political stripes.

jtbooker

This is all about money though isn't it? Don't we sell a lot of beef to Arab nations for example? Taking a stand (as Ireland and others haven't done) to support a fellow EU member would mean putting our principles before the pursuit of profit, and where would we be then, eh?
True true...

pete2

Not feeling the anger of most here. I know firsthand these cartoons ticked off a lot of moderates (ie. not salafists) in mideast. Hopefully its smoothed over now and hopefully governments in EU will get a grip on immigration and integration- this is the problem I feel, not what muslim religious doctrine says.

jcdf

I could not give sod about some cartoon or about what a bunch of Mullahs think or feel about some obscure cartoon that I have never seen.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
The Newspaper is regretting that offense was taken, not that it published the cartoon, so it is maintaining its position.

But I think that the Ahmed Akkari volte-face is more important.