Darkness descends in Winter from today, have you taken your Vitamin D yet?

seanof

It is the cycle of the seasons. I know that.

But the darkness at 4pm or thereabouts quite soon can be problematic for people's mood.

But has anyone taken Vitamin D in the Winter? I have since two years ago, twice the recommended dosage of 10mcgr per day. It does have an effect. Maybe it is just in my head though. But I ain't stopping now!

What say you?
It's a natural cycle but not helped by our use of the clock. Many of us could stick with daylight saving time all year round, thus giving us an extra hour of light in the afternoon.

I've taken vitamin D supplements for the last couple of years and think they provide physiological benefits. I'm not sure if they've improved my mood though - maybe.

asset test

Winter doesn't start for at least another month
Love the optimism! But it is not Winter really that is the problem, that can sometimes be very mild, it is the DARKNESS.

Get up in the dark, go home in the dark. Be a troglodyte!

I do walk at lunchtime every day even for twenty minutes, but darkness still descends at 4pm.

Watcher2

It is the cycle of the seasons. I know that.

But the darkness at 4pm or thereabouts quite soon can be problematic for people's mood.

But has anyone taken Vitamin D in the Winter? I have since two years ago, twice the recommended dosage of 10mcgr per day. It does have an effect. Maybe it is just in my head though. But I ain't stopping now!

What say you?
What affect did it have on you?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Love the optimism! But it is not Winter really that is the problem, that can sometimes be very mild, it is the DARKNESS.

Get up in the dark, go home in the dark. Be a troglodyte!

I do walk at lunchtime every day even for twenty minutes, but darkness still descends at 4pm.
It'll be into December before it gets dark close to 4...but getting out for that walk is ideal

asset test

What affect did it have on you?
Just felt I coped better with the darkness of early evening. Could be all in my head, but so what, it helps my bones anyway.

We all know that it is bright in the early morning. I wish it were otherwise. I would love it to be brighter in the evenings in Winter time. But hey ho, no one is listening.

Watcher2

Just felt I coped better with the darkness of early evening. Could be all in my head, but so what, it helps my bones anyway.

We all know that it is bright in the early morning. I wish it were otherwise. I would love it to be brighter in the evenings in Winter time. But hey ho, no one is listening.
They say God is always listening. Who elsecan change when it gets dark?;)

asset test

They say God is always listening. Who elsecan change when it gets dark?;)
I know,

Am just shooting the breeze, and advocating Vit D too.

Who can ever think that brightness in the early morning morning right now is better for the mood than brightness later in the evening. Doesn't make sense to me anyway.

All kids are either walked (rare) to school or driven there, so it doesn't matter if it is dark or not in the mornings. But the rest of us have to suffer very early darkness in the evenings.

Anyway. Just keep popping those Vit D pills and see what happens!

asset test

It'll be into December before it gets dark close to 4...but getting out for that walk is ideal
21st December, or is it 22nd now, don't want to be controversial here.....

That is the catalyst for upping the ante. Days get longer every day after that, even a few minutes a day makes all the difference.

So it is not really a depressive thing, more a darkness and feck this thing for me.

Won't be long now till 21/22 December and we are on the up again towards the light.

che schifo

I'd love to try it (not Skunk) but I'll wait until it is legalised for my medical condition, or I find a reliable and dependable source :D Smoking oregano doesn't work ;)
It is very pleasant.

FOURGREENFIELDS

The 16/17 hours of darkness per day suffocates you like a fart in a lift. October to December is pretty grim; wet, windy and cold that gets into your ears and shouts at you all day. If I wasn't already depressed this would make me depressed.

silverharp

i tried it for a year or 2, didnt notice a difference one way or the other, still worth doing i guess

SEAMAI

I've been taken vitamin D every winter starting mid October for the last five years. I definitely find the short grey winter days more bearable since I started. No amount of winter sun or daily consumption of fish is going to give you enough.

Ellen Ripley

Probably a good idea, as 30 mins X 3 per week direct sunshine is recommended and our Winters tend to be very cloudy with weak sunlight even when it's dry.
Over 65's especially need VitD as the body can't manufacture it from sun very well.
Oily fish and eggs should provide adequate quantities, but food is now so pharmed the vitamin content is probably depleted...

che schifo

As was alcohol - but alas booze is out for medical reasons. I remember trying Leb Red back in the 70s . Pleasant and quite low in THC.
You mean red leb!! That style was always my preference. Nice bit of flaky hash. That or grass.. Lovely..

KEYHOLE KATE

Cholecalciferol was first registered as a rodenticide in the United States in1984.Cholecalciferol is vitamin D3. Vitamin D helps the body maintain calcium balance by enhancing absorption of calcium from the gut and kidneys. Toxic doses of cholecalciferol lead to too much calcium in the blood, which can affect the central nervous system, muscles, the gastrointestinal tract, cardiovascular system, and the kidneys. The body’s ability to maintain proper calcium levels must be overwhelmed before cholecalciferol becomes toxic. Rodents must eat several doses of this rodenticide. This causes a time lag between exposure and signs of toxicity. Although pets have gotten sick from eating cholecalciferol, poisonings of people are very rare.
(National Pesticide Information Centre-USA)
Even plain vitamin D functions like a steroid hormone and it is fat soluble and so it accumulates in the body. It can become toxic if seen as the answer to winter woes. and gobbled unthinkingly but Vit D3 is the real McCoy if you think you might be a rat with a death wish, The supplement industry is uncontrolled so you can buy D3 in any health food shop. The rules on Strychnine are somewhat stricter!!

FOURGREENFIELDS

On a more positive note there really is nothing like an early morning Autumn walk with the dog on the Cavehill to shake you out of the gloom. The sun over the past 2 days has really shown up the beauty of Bheann Mhadagain, Divis, Black Mountains, Carnmoney Hill and Belfast Lough. Belfast in the sun really is a lovely city,

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom