Date-rape drink spiking 'an urban legend'

Tommy Tayto

Widespread spiking of drinks with date-rape drugs such as Rohypnol and GHB is an "urban legend" fuelled by young women unwilling to accept they have simply consumed too much alcohol, academics believe.

A study of more than 200 students revealed many wrongly blamed the effects of a "bad night out" on date-rape drugs, when they had just drunk excessively.

Many are in "active denial" that drinking large amounts of alcohol can leave them "incoherent and incapacitated", the Kent University researchers concluded.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/issues/daterape-drink-spiking-an-urban-legend-1925339.html

Well it looks like someone finally mentioned the elephant in the room. This 'spiked' nonsense was nothing more than a convenient excuse for drunken morons to evade responsibility. I've lost count of the number of times I have heard some eejit spout this gem after a heavy night of vodka and red bull. (Usually women, it has to be said.)
Furthermore, I would go so far as to say anyone claiming their drink was spiked, when tests prove it hasn't, should be charged with wasting Garda resources. If you can't control your actions, you must pay the consequences. Of course, in very, very rare cases there may actually be drinks spiked, but the vast majority are simply drunkenness.
Rant over.

johnfás

Their is an obvious danger of date rape out there and people should be vigilant in regard to leaving drinks unattended etc. However, I would agree that the danger is overstated and it is something which most people are unlikely to ever experience in their lifetime. I have been on nights out where I haven't had anything alcoholic to drink, have seen people I know drink themselves virtually into a coma and then claim the next day that their drink was spiked when they can't remember what happened, it is obviously something which occurs.

I would have thought lads buying girls doubles rather than singles in mixers, without necessarily telling them, is more of a pressing danger than spiking for most people.

200 students is a crap sample though, so the survey proves nothing, nor does my anecdote above.

Dillinger

It is never the vodka drinkers fault, always something else. But, that is today's society, always blame something or someone else.

If you leave a drink unattended in Ireland it gets robbed by some other pisshead.

bkcaravan

The name of the drug is "Rohypnol". The name of the game is prescription pad procurement, or stealing said prescription for...a legitimately prescribed, although often controversial "memory retrieval" technique drug...colourless, tasteless, scent-free...what chance does an unsuspecting date rape victim have, to withstand such a potent drug, when even psychiatric patients report that they had no sense of ever having been "drugged", when they willingly attend psychiatrists, in order to work out issues from repressed memory of something traumatic.

The truth is, for anyone, particularly men, to comment about the often claimed, but rarely proven, or, even documented, matter of "drug based" date rape, when they've had no medical training, nor psychiatric experience, let alone, experience of rape counselling, or rape survival, is nothing less than a 2009 example of what Vietnam Vets claimed, when they returned to an unsympathetic American public, complaining of "flashbacks" of their wartime traumatic experience, which, decades later, was awarded by International Psychiatrists a definition within their textbook profile, the DSM hadback, refered to as being manifestations of "post traumatic experience"...so, get real, lads, Rohypnol is in Ireland, date rape happens, to men and women, and the underaged...and, stop revealing male associated profiles in ignorance, on this site, by referring to matters you obviously don't understand

Morte

I thought Rohypnol had a blue dye? I'm sure I read that a few times.

I don't think there's ever been a recorded case of a date rape drug being used in Ireland. That's not, of course, to say it has never happened but it would be very rare. I still wouldn't advise leaving your drink unattended, better safe than sorry.

bm42

Date rape may be real but the drug we need to worry most about is is not rohypnol, it is alcohol, and usually self administered.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
The name of the drug is "Rohypnol". The name of the game is prescription pad procurement, or stealing said prescription for...a legitimately prescribed, although often controversial "memory retrieval" technique drug...colourless, tasteless, scent-free...what chance does an unsuspecting date rape victim have, to withstand such a potent drug, when even psychiatric patients report that they had no sense of ever having been "drugged", when they willingly attend psychiatrists, in order to work out issues from repressed memory of something traumatic.

The truth is, for anyone, particularly men, to comment about the often claimed, but rarely proven, or, even documented, matter of "drug based" date rape, when they've had no medical training, nor psychiatric experience, let alone, experience of rape counselling, or rape survival, is nothing less than a 2009 example of what Vietnam Vets claimed, when they returned to an unsympathetic American public, complaining of "flashbacks" of their wartime traumatic experience, which, decades later, was awarded by International Psychiatrists a definition within their textbook profile, the DSM hadback, refered to as being manifestations of "post traumatic experience"...so, get real, lads, Rohypnol is in Ireland, date rape happens, to men and women, and the underaged...and, stop revealing male associated profiles in ignorance, on this site, by referring to matters you obviously don't understand
Huh?

To suggest that people shouldn't comment unless they've "had medical training, or psychiatric experience, or experience of rape counselling, or rape survival," is ridiculous. Does date rape happen? Certainly, but the biggest date rape drug is alcohol not Rohypnol. And the constant refrains about Rohypnol take away from the larger risk of drink.

cactusflower

This is something that wouldn't surprise me:

a person can have a "black out" after three glasses of wine

If you don't believe me, check the reputable medical sites.

I have always thought that the descriptions I read of "rohypnol" incidents have sounded like alcoholic black outs.

It is no less date rape to take advantage of someone's drunken state (too drunk to give consent) than it is to rape someone who's drugged.

Men when very drunk are ironically less likely to get up to anything untoward.

The Caped Cod

This is something that wouldn't surprise me:

a person can have a "black out" after three glasses of wine

If you don't believe me, check the reputable medical sites.

I have always thought that the descriptions I read of "rohypnol" incidents have sounded like alcoholic black outs.

It is no less date rape to take advantage of someone's drunken state
(too drunk to give consent) than it is to rape someone who's drugged.

Men when very drunk are ironically less likely to get up to anything untoward.
Date rape does not require either party to be drunk. It's rape, on a date. Drugs and alcohol are commonly associated with it but their not obligatory.

johnfás

Date rape does not require either party to be drunk. It's rape, on a date. Drugs and alcohol are commonly associated with it but their not obligatory.
Date rape in common parlance refers to drug-facilitated rape, that is where consent to sexual activity is inadequate due to incapacity on the part of the victim, generally resulting from actions on the part of the accused.

General rape is no different whether it is on a date or down a dark alley. The distinction of "date rape" makes no sense unless you read it as apart from other instances of rape, otherwise we'll end up categorising park rape, road rape, car rape etc.

The Caped Cod

Date rape in common parlance refers to drug-facilitated rape, that is where consent to sexual activity is inadequate due to incapacity on the part of the victim, generally resulting from actions on the part of the accused.

General rape is no different whether it is on a date or down a dark alley. The distinction of "date rape" makes no sense unless you read it as apart from other instances of rape, otherwise we'll end up categorising park rape, road rape, car rape etc.
I said drugs and alcohol were commonly associated but not obligatory.
Date rape - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Date rape", often referred to as “acquaintance rape”, is an assault or attempted assault by usually a new acquaintance involving sexual intercourse without mutual consent.
General rape is different from "Drug-facilitated date rape", which is what we commonly asscoiate with date rape. The use of the word "date" refers to a context, not a place like a road, alley, park or car.

Definitely not urban fiction.

UK Cousin known since childhood out with friends incl boyfriend and brother ends up screaming unable to move and not remembering how she got home after 3 glasses of wine, she doesn't do drugs because she spends her life on medication for Crohns.

She was 1 of 4 girls admitted to same hospital same night, another was in same group she was with, drug contains a nausea element which is designed to piss off anybody using as a date rape drug, taken with another drug in hopsital there is no nausea.

Hospital refused to accept initial claims it was something other than alcohol until they had 4 in including one girl found by passer by on street screaming and shouting and completely unable to account for who she was.

Cousin said that worrying thing was she was conscious of what she was doing some of the time like in slow motion BUT she had no control and was incapable of refusing or stopping anybody or anything.

They figured out via process of elimination likely candidate and after 1-2 weeks confirmed it. Cops couldn't prove anything but her B/f, brother and 3 others did one night when they put him in hospital.

johnfás

The use of the word "date" refers to a context, not a place like a road, alley, park or car.
The context is largely irrelevant in the discussion which is ongoing on this thread, a point picked up by most posters except yourself seemingly. Cactus was quite correct in the points she made above which you picked her up on regarding drunkeness.

The discussion here is quite clearly engaging the prevalence of drug and alcohol facilitated rape, which fits the common definition of date rape in Ireland - which itself need not necessarily correspond with the definition provided by users of Wikipedia.

johnfás

@odie1kanobe

I definately don't think that date rape is a myth, it clearly does exist and it arises from time to time before the hospitals and elsewhere. I think what most people are picking up on however is the fact that it is a far rarer phenomenon than media and other reports might lead one, particularly parents, to believe. It would seem from the experience of most here that the dangers of excess consumption of alcohol, are at least equal, if not a greater contributor, to females being taken advantage of but that this fact is not generally discussed at such great length as to do so requires, in many cases, an examination of personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility is of course a difficult concept to square in an instance where someone has been sexually assaulted, or indeed in any way assaulted, because naturally the intoxicated state of one neither excuses nor should encourage the conduct of another. However, being careful around alcohol is perhaps one of the greatest defences that one might have to avoid being in the situation where one might be taken advantage of - that applies not just in relation to any form of assault but a whole host of other situations one might find oneself in.

The Caped Cod

The context is largely irrelevant in the discussion which is ongoing on this thread, a point picked up by most posters except yourself seemingly. Cactus was quite correct in the points she made above which you picked her up on regarding drunkeness.

The discussion here is quite clearly engaging the prevalence of drug and alcohol facilitated rape, which fits the common definition of date rape in Ireland - which itself need not necessarily correspond with the definition provided by users of Wikipedia.
Because I was right, it's irrevelant you mean. I clarified one point in someone else's post with out detracting from her other points, or any one elses. You had no trouble going off topic to correct me when you thought you were though did you.

Collins Online dictionary
Date rape - the act of a man raping a woman or pressuring her into having sex while they are on a date together,
The thread is on Date rape drink sppikeing being an "urban legend", well the idea that drugs or drink spiking are necessary fot it to be date rape is also an "unban legend". THis is relative to the topic.
Now kindly take your hurt ego and your failed lesson on thread ettiquette, and keep them to yourself.

@odie1kanobe

I However, being careful around alcohol is perhaps one of the greatest defences that one might have to avoid being in the situation where one might be taken advantage of - that applies not just in relation to any form of assault but a whole host of other situations one might find oneself in.
I agree however when yur drink is spiked and you no longer have control then being careful around alcohol is irrelevant, it applies as well with soft drinks.

On the case in question my cousin was lucky (!!!) she had who she had around her, on another occasion it could have been a lot worse and she knows this. She unsrprisingly was reticient about going out for 6 months afterwards and would abandon drinks all the time just to a subconscious fear it may have been spiked.

GDPR

Drink Spiking is not a myth. My sister is a tee totaler and had her drink spiked at that snobby sh1thole where our betters hang out, Lillies Bordello . When she went missing from the group for a long time, a search was made and her friend found her half unconscious and semi paralysed in the womens toilets. My sister had the presence of mind to lock herself into a cubicle and had a lucky escape. She had to be carried into a taxi. This is a girl who comes out in a rash if she drinks alcohol.

Stendec

Drink Spiking is not a myth. My sister is a tee totaler and had her drink spiked at that snobby sh1thole where our betters hang out, Lillies Bordello . When she went missing from the group for a long time, a search was made and her friend found her half unconscious and semi paralysed in the womens toilets. My sister had the presence of mind to lock herself into a cubicle and had a lucky escape. She had to be carried into a taxi. This is a girl who comes out in a rash if she drinks alcohol.
thats a load of ********************e!!! she got pissed and made a excuse when sge was found out!!!!!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies