• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Date set for Scottish independence referendum set

Sangreel

Last edited:

Ryan Tubbs

Can't wait for this. I'll go drinking for a week when there is a 70% "No" vote, dealing a pretty calamitous crushing blow to the SNP and their oily slug of a leader.

Sync

For the love of Jesus could you not have included the date in the title or the op?

Tea Party Patriot

Scottish referendum date announced - World News | Latest International News Headlines | The Irish Times - Thu, Mar 21, 2013

I think this is a good thing. The Scots will get the right to decide if they want to remain in the UK or if they want to go their own way. I wonder if we should have a referendum up north. It may go a long way to settling the issue once and for all. Let the people who live there have their say one and for all.
You might edit the OP to put in the date of September the 18th 2014.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Date set for Scottish independence referendum set

What is a 'referendum set'?

Happytolearn

Any Scot I've talked to is dead against it.

Tea Party Patriot

If the Tories thought this through properly they should push for a yes vote on this, they would get rid of a massive burden on the exchequer that the Scottish welfare state has become and also have a fair chance of keeping Labour out of power for the next 20 years.

Partizan

Eugh. 18 months to wait for a giant anti-climax 'no' vote. How dull.
Abso************************************gloutely. The Jocks dont have the balls to cut the strings as they are hooked on welfare money that London throws at them.

Roll_On

If the referendum gets a yes vote, it'll be very interesting to see the effect on Irish unionist politics,especially at a time when the unionist vote is falling. Would they still be supporting a union with England and Wales?

Happytolearn

Sync

If the referendum gets a yes vote, it'll be very interesting to see the effect on Irish unionist politics. Would they still be supporting a union with England and Wales?
Yes of course they would. Jesus. Why the hell wouldn't they? Apart from you not wanting them to?

Nemesiscorporation

Scottish referendum date announced - World News | Latest International News Headlines | The Irish Times - Thu, Mar 21, 2013

I think this is a good thing. The Scots will get the right to decide if they want to remain in the UK or if they want to go their own way. I wonder if we should have a referendum up north. It may go a long way to settling the issue once and for all. Let the people who live there have their say one and for all.
I hope Scotland goes independent.

It would be a brilliant day for Scotland to get back control of its own affairs.

Nemesiscorporation

If the referendum gets a yes vote, it'll be very interesting to see the effect on Irish unionist politics,especially at a time when the unionist vote is falling. Would they still be supporting a union with England and Wales?
I asked that question in my very first thread - what is their primary allegiance - their (main) ancestral home of Scotland or the rump Union? It was once believed by many that Scottish independence would lead to a constitutional and civil crisis in Northern Ireland, possible UDI and civil war even. Probably a bit extreme nowadays, but still there is an interesting question about how they would respond to the dissolution if the 1707 Union (though I imagine the Scots would keep the monarchy joined as it has been since long before the Union).
http://www.politics.ie/forum/current-affairs/19656-scottish-independence-irelands-nightmare.html

Partizan

A Yes vote will leave behind a rump UK which would be quickly be reconstituted into a wholly England dominated Union. A bit like what happened to Yugoslavia when Slovenia and Croatia left it in late '91/early '92. The Unionists in the North would have to rethink their relationship with London in a reconstituted UK. It could very well have a knock on effect towards us as in speeding up a United Ireland.

Nebuchadnezzar

Abso************************************gloutely. The Jocks dont have the balls to cut the strings as they are hooked on welfare money that London throws at them.
"Hooked on welfare"?? Almost sounds like you think that's a bad thing. Are you really WP Dublin SE?

Popular Threads

Most Replies