• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dave Allen death threats from the IRA...

NewGoldDream

Website
-
...documentary on BBC now about the great Dave Allen, sadly a figure who was pretty much persona non grata in this country because of his stance on the Church.

He recounts the death threats he received in the 70s from the IRA, and the documentary and searches on Google suggest that he got the threats because of that humour. It seems a bit unusual, had never associated the IRA with taking a stand for the image of the Church. Is this an error, had he told some other gags that might have caused offence along a more political line, or had he expressed some opinion on the conflict that was controversial?

Morgellons

Maybe they just didn't like him because he was a successful Irishman living in England.

...documentary on BBC now about the great Dave Allen, sadly a figure who was pretty much persona non grata in this country because of his stance on the Church.

He recounts the death threats he received in the 70s from the IRA, and the documentary and searches on Google suggest that he got the threats because of that humour. It seems a bit unusual, had never associated the IRA with taking a stand for the image of the Church. Is this an error, had he told some other gags that might have caused offence along a more political line, or had he expressed some opinion on the conflict that was controversial?
Questions which require answers.

borntorum

Back in the 70s the Provos were still very traditionally Catholic. I read somewhere recently that An Phoblacht used to have articles condemning contraception. This was when the Provo movement was still controlled by the likes of Daithi O Conaill and O Bradaigh. They became more liberal and left wing when the Nordies took over post the Hunger Strikes

Back in the 70s the Provos were still very traditionally Catholic. I read somewhere recently that An Phoblacht used to have articles condemning contraception. This was when the Provo movement was still controlled by the likes of Daithi O Conaill and O Bradaigh. They became more liberal and left wing when the Nordies took over post the Hunger Strikes
The PubLocked was never anything other than toilet paper.

D

Dylan2010

religious Irish terrorists, fu*ck me but that would have made a perfect comedy sketch for him

bogtrotter

religious Irish terrorists, fu*ck me but that would have made a perfect comedy sketch for him
You've not been educated by the Brothers,then:

History: how the fuppers stitched us up:
Chemistry: sugar and fertiliser can be fun;
Geography: find the best launch sites on this map with the best coverage:
Maths: Let's look at parabolas, gentlemen, shall we?:
Irish: this is why we are who we are:
Physics: let us luook at the forces involved in a mortar launch:
French: you may have to take some time abroad as a volunteer:
Religion: you may need to fall back on this crap. Good luck in France.

bogtrotter

Where do you get your information from? must be the Beano or the Dandy

Liverpoolblue

I always enjoyed his shows it is interesting how some people reacted badly to his comedy in both Britain and Ireland at the time. He was a trailblazer.

Lb

borntorum

Where do you get your information from? must be the Beano or the Dandy
What exactly do you have an issue with? Are you under the impression that the Provos in the early 70s saw themselves as comrades of the ANC and the PLO?

What exactly do you have an issue with? Are you under the impression that the Provos in the early 70s saw themselves as comrades of the ANC and the PLO?
Seriously, an PubLocked was quite anti-RCC as I remember it. Marxist. Check. United Ireland; Check. Pro-Catholic? No.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
I always enjoyed his shows it is interesting how some people reacted badly to his comedy in both Britain and Ireland at the time. He was a trailblazer.

Lb
Only caught the tail end of his career really, when I think what struck me was his style of delivery, which was wonderfully laid back, like a man who was comfortable in his skin telling stories rather than a comedian relying on delivery, punchline, wait for laugh, gag complete, next one. He also seemed to be both charismatic and intelligent, whereas other successful expats like Wogan were much more...harmless.

borntorum

Seriously, an PubLocked was quite anti-RCC as I remember it. Marxist. Check. United Ireland; Check. Pro-Catholic? No.
Here's an excerpt of an interview with Danny Morrison in 1984:

But,
sure, you have to allow that. You can't overrule people's personal beliefs, even in a revolutionary organiisation. But the point about it is - the movement's open political position, for example on divorce, is that there should be divorce allowed in the 26 counties, there should be contraception in the 26 counties. In terms of ten years ago - in January 1974 on the front page of Republican News there was an article on the front page against contraaception, right? Front page article, England was trying to corrupt the morals of the Irish people, right? I mean, that has been a big change.
Irish Politics, Current Affairs and Magazine Archive - Politico.ie | The IRA has to do what the IRA has to do

Thats coming from the mouth of one of the leading Provos of the era. Sounds to me like they were pretty conservative alright.

Morgellons

Up until last week Ribeye hadn't heard of Dave Allen and then boom, two threads within a week. Now that's what I call a ribism.

Lúidín

DES Q: Seriously, an PubLocked was quite anti-RCC as I remember it. Marxist. Check. United Ireland; Check. Pro-Catholic? No.
Not so. In fact the Provos split because they claimed the republican movement had become Marxist.

The Dave Allen programme said that he had received death threats from "the IRA and the Provisional IRA." Doesn't make sense.

Popular Threads

Most Replies