• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

David Begg: "The Troika has done more damage to Ireland than Britain ever did in 800 years"

Dublin 4

David Begg: "The Troika has done more damage to Ireland than Britain ever did in 800 years"

"The Troika has done more damage to Ireland than Britain ever did in 800 years," said David Begg, head of the Irish Confederation of Trade Unions.
Mr Begg said the image of Ireland as the poster-child of EU recovery was a myth culitivated by EU creditors whose only interest is to recoup their money.
"At least the IMF officials are willing to admit they have been wrong but the EU officials are total ideologues."

EU 'Troika' rule in Ireland worse than British Empire

Dave will now be granted Europhobe immortality by Irish Skeps & no doubt treated like Royalty by the Yookys henceforth.

These remarks may well be forever referred to by all Anti-EU Movements.

Recently Snipper Mac stated that "our relationship with the EU had turned sour".

Niamh Lyons, Dr Karen Devine, Dave Mac, Prof Ray Kinsella, The Dunph, Matt Cooper, Vin B - are all none too hot on the EU at the mo.

Could we be seeing the beginning of a new rapport with Brussels as Berlo et al refresh the Eurozone Crisis & the Brexit debate looms whilst the True Finns grow from strength to strength in parallel???? :shock:

sic transit

Overpaid union boss comes out with typical blame game hyperbole. Slow news day so.

borntorum

Unsurprising that the Telegraph are reporting this, it plays to their ideology perfectly.

Have the Troika sat on their hands while a famine has killed one million and led to the emigration of at least another million in the past five years? No? Well then Begg should STFU. The man is an idiot and a hypocrite; it was thanks to him and his friend Bertie that 'social partnership' led to the destruction of the State's finances. He should be watering his pot plants in his retirement home, not lecturing the rest of us on history.

ruserious

Collective bargaining has kept the ordinary Irish people under far more restraint than Mr.Begg concedes.

wexfordman

Yeah, well I suppose the brits supported an admisitrative monster like the cs/ps, that had been left as is for the last 800 years. The troika (ore more likely the defecit), has exposed the need to change it radically!

So I suppose, the man is right, it has caused more damage to those that he represents!! I mean look, didnt they loose the kings birthday :)

firefly123

Begg is a tool. He sat in the board of banks whilst all the shîte was happening. He is just one of an entire generation of so called leaders that failed the Irish people and will go off in to the sunset comfortable whilst we try to pick up the pieces for ourselves and our children. I hate to say it but if I saw him or O'Connor or Fitz or Cowen on the street I might not be held responsible for my actions.

Socratus O' Pericles

EU officials are total ideologues
There's a smidgin of truth in that.

Also I didn't see any of them taking a paycut ,despite the fact that they did such an appaling job.

I'd suggest 21% plus an enhanced contribution to their gold plated rolls royce pension.

firefly123

Yeah, well I suppose the brits supported an admisitrative monster like the cs/ps, that had been left as is for the last 800 years. The troika (ore more likely the defecit), has exposed the need to change it radically!

So I suppose, the man is right, it has caused more damage to those that he represents!! I mean look, didnt they loose the kings birthday :)
The word is lose. If you are going to spout shîte at least spell it correctly.

dunno

Even in context David Begg speaks a good of nonsense there. Worse than 800 years of British rule, worse than the Famine which is within the 800 years?

Howya

I think what Begg meant to say is that the Troika are trying to undo the damage that he and various governments have done to this country.

Raketemensch

Unsurprising that the Telegraph are reporting this, it plays to their ideology perfectly.

Have the Troika sat on their hands while a famine has killed one million and led to the emigration of at least another million in the past five years? No? Well then Begg should STFU. The man is an idiot and a hypocrite; it was thanks to him and his friend Bertie that 'social partnership' led to the destruction of the State's finances. He should be watering his pot plants in his retirement home, not lecturing the rest of us on history.
It really is quite the most incredible statement, isn't it? The Troika lends us the money to keep going, including the waster's wages which are paid by members out of the exchequer. And that is worse that a millenium of low-level genocide? He really must remember to take his tablets the poor old duffer, it's actually quite sad.

stopdoingstuff

Obviously a few cuts are way worse than the Famine or the Penal Laws. Everyone knows that.

cricket

The Brits eventually cut a deal, will the troika ?

ShoutingIsLeadership

David Begg, member of the Board of Directors of the Central Bank of Ireland, during the greatest property bubble in history.

dunno

David Begg is right at the core of an establishment that accepted the Troika deal. The hyperbole and hypocrisy has to merit a prize of some sort.

firefly123

It truly is An Gorta mor all over again.

wexfordman

The word is lose. If you are going to spout shîte at least spell it correctly.
Yeah, cos thats important!! I'm knid of proud to say, I've never been desperate enough, to use someones spelling mistakes to try and make a point (especially, when the point is quite obvious). I wouldnt be that pedantic!

BTW, the kings birthday was a joke (hence the smiley), but the context of the post was not!