• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

David Beresford RIP

ffc

The British journalist, David Beresford, has died in South Africa. He wrote for the Guardian for most of his career, and was a mainstay of the "Troubles" during the 80's
He wrote the seminal account of the hunger strikes, "10 Men Dead" , which featured, in my opinion, the most gripping and emotional account of those terrible days. I thought his objective and non-judgemental recording of the mindset of republican prisoners, and the inability of their British counterparts to understand them, was a superb journalistic effort. A real attempt as someone once said " not to weep at them, or hate them, but to understand them"

Award-winning Guardian reporter David Beresford dies aged 68 | World news | The Guardian

kbcav

The British journalist, David Beresford, has died in South Africa. He wrote for the Guardian for most of his career, and was a mainstay of the "Troubles" during the 80's
He wrote the seminal account of the hunger strikes, "10 Men Dead" , which featured, in my opinion, the most gripping and emotional account of those terrible days. I thought his objective and non-judgemental recording of the mindset of republican prisoners, and the inability of their British counterparts to understand them, was a superb journalistic effort. A real attempt as someone once said " not to weep at them, or hate them, but to understand them"

Award-winning Guardian reporter David Beresford dies aged 68 | World news | The Guardian
I read 10 Men Dead many years ago an outstanding book.RIP.

His obituary and his record are things to be proud of.

An exceptional man.

HereWeGoAgain

Simon Tisdall of the Guardian wrote the following tribute:

David Beresford was one of the greatest correspondents of his generation. He was a tenacious and brave reporter, a brilliant investigator, had a fine analytical mind, and was a wonderful, lucid, graphic writer – a rare combination of skills. He was also disarmingly charismatic and charming – to friends, colleagues, and the host of admirers of his shambling good looks.

“For news editors, he had the infuriating habit of agreeing vigorously to carry out instructions, then ignoring them completely to pursue what he believed the story should be, with an apologetic shrug, a brief mumbled apology and a mischievous grin. He was invariably right to do so.”
RIP. If only we had more journalists like him

link

I met him on a couple of occasions. Charming and engaging on any subject.

PBP voter

He exposed Micheal Devine as a wife beater. Good journalism.

onlyasking

Beresford and David Hirst reported for the Guardian through the 80s. What a fine couple of real journalists to have on the staff at the same time.

Where are their like in the Irish media? I guess they wouldn't be tolerated for long, even if they were able to get a foot in the door.

To be fair, there are few in the British media these days of the calibre of David Beresford. RIP.

ygargarin

Beresford and David Hirst reported for the Guardian through the 80s. What a fine couple of real journalists to have on the staff at the same time.

Where are their like in the Irish media? I guess they wouldn't be tolerated for long, even if they were able to get a foot in the door.

To be fair, there are few in the British media these days of the calibre of David Beresford. RIP.
You're correct on both.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies