David McWilliams to take to the stage in "Outsiders"

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane

Libero

I hope McWilliams has put himself forward for the SEEDS initiative designed to "seek out, enable, encourage, develop and stage the work of a new generation of theatre talent".

It's run by Rough Magic theatre company and funded by the Arts Council and, eh, Allied Irish Banks.

Sadly, the same programme didn't recognise my own artistic genius when I pitched "NAMA: the Musical" (tagline: "It's the only show in town!"), featuring reworkings of classic Jungle Book tunes such as The Bare Necessities, My Own Home, That's What Friends Are For (The Vulture Song), and Trust In Me (The Python's Song). Also featured is a touching song-and-dance paen to the strategic decision making of Irish banks vis a vis the apparent success of Anglo Irish Bank: I Wann'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song).

Tom Red

Sadly, the same programme didn't recognise my own artistic genius when I pitched "NAMA: the Musical" (tagline: "It's the only show in town!"), featuring reworkings of classic Jungle Book tunes such as The Bare Necessities, My Own Home, That's What Friends Are For (The Vulture Song), and Trust In Me (The Python's Song). Also featured is a touching song-and-dance paen to the strategic decision making of Irish banks vis a vis the apparent success of Anglo Irish Bank: I Wann'na Be Like You (The Monkey Song).
I'd go and see it. I'd even buy the cd soundtrack for sale in the foyer.

He3

Nationwide tour underway

Maybe I'll do it as a pantomime instead.

Anglo banker: "Where's the Regulator?"
The audience: "He's behind you!"
Anglo banker: "He sure is!" *evil laugh*
Plenty of evil laughs at his sold out show in the Everyman Cork last night and a lot more beside, followed by a Q and A.

Remaining dates -

Town Hall Theatre, Galway
Tuesday 30 November, 8pm
Tickets €18/15 (conc.)
Booking: 091-569777/ Now Playing: The Performance Corporation Slattery?s Sago Saga - 29 Nov

Glór, Ennis
Thursday 1 December, 8pm
Tickets – €18/€15 (conc.)
Booking: 065 6843103 / www.glór.ie

Backstage Theatre, Longford
Thursday 2 December, 8.30pm
Tickets €18/€16 (conc.)
Bookings 043 3347888 / Entertainment - Backstage Theatre, what's on in Longford

Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise
Friday 3 December, 8pm
Tickets €20/€16 (conc.)
Booking: 057 8663355 / Dunamaise Arts Centre

Siamsa Tíre, Kerry
Saturday 4, Sunday 5 December, 8pm
Tickets €19
Booking: (066) 7123055 / What's On in Kerry, Kerry Entertainment, Concerts in Kerry, Event Listings - Siamsa Tire, National Folk Theatre of Ireland, Tralee, Co. Kerry.

Pavilion Theatre, Dun Laoghaire
Tuesday 7 & Wednesday 8 December, 8pm
Tickets: TBC
Booking: 01 231 2929 / The Pavilion Theatre | Welcome

Garterlane, Waterford
Monday 13 December
Tickets: TBC
Booking: 051 855038 / www.garterlane.ie

Draíocht, Blanchardstown
Main Auditorium
Tuesday 14 December, 8pm
Tickets: €18 / €14 (conc.)
Booking: 01-885 2622 / Draíocht Arts Centre - Blanchardstown Dublin 15 Ireland

Riverbank Arts Centre, Kildare
Wednesday 15 December, 8pm
Tickets : €20/ €18 (conc.)
Book 045 448327 / Riverbank Arts Centre, Main Street, Newbridge, Co.Kildare | Entertainment, Comedy, Film, Cinema, Theatre, Arts, Workshops, Gigs, Music, Exhibitions, Children's Events in Newbridge, Kildare

An Grianán Theatre, Letterkenny
Thursday 16 December, 8pm
Tickets €20/€15 (conc.)
Booking: 074 912 0777 / Entertainment : Letterkenny : Theatre : Donegal : Venue : Drama : Comedy : Music : Fun : Family : An Grianán Theatre :

Nationwide Tour of ‘Outsiders’ | David McWilliams

Cael

In all fairness, the Abbey gets a grant of 30 million euro to be a theatre. That's a Greek word which brings to mind the great tragedies of Sophocles and Euripides. Sure, it great that McWillaims has a platform to do his thing - but thats not drama. If the management of the Abbey cant find drama in our present crisis, then its time for them to step aside and let better men and women take their place.

Libero

In all fairness, the Abbey gets a grant of 30 million euro to be a theatre. That's a Greek word which brings to mind the great tragedies of Sophocles and Euripides. Sure, it great that McWillaims has a platform to do his thing - but thats not drama. If the management of the Abbey cant find drama in our present crisis, then its time for them to step aside and let better men and women take their place.
I'm not sure the Abbey is ready just yet for Stalin! The Musical

Also, the monologue is an established dramatic form, as is the one-man/woman show.

He3

I'm not sure the Abbey is ready just yet for Stalin! The Musical

Also, the monologue is an established dramatic form, as is the one-man/woman show.

The stage set features a series of moving and still images on a back projection, shifting from the National Debt Clock ticking away, to Bertie in the Dodder, and various points in between.

His story about being sent to the Dorchester in 1992 as a Central Bank representative to persuade sovereign bondholders that Ireland would not devalue the Punt was hilarious and revealing.

He3

PorT Laoise Friday, Siamsa Tíre, Saturday,

The Examiner has this from Gordon Deegan about the audience discussion in Ennis:
Mr McWilliams warned that the austerity plan will result in increased unemployment and emigration.

"Irish people need to take back decision-making. Our political class needs to be aware that the deal with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is not in our interests. We need to make our politicians aware of the fact that they won’t get our vote if they stand over the deal with the IMF."

Mr McWilliams also hit out at the bondholders, describing them as ‘bullies’ -

"They need to be told what to do. Rather than stand up to the bullies, every single time we get an opportunity to stand up to them, we say ‘what would you like us to do?’."

Mr McWilliams said that instead of paying off the banks’ debts, there needs to be a debt equity swap with the European banks owed money.

"We should tell them that we can’t pay you all of the debts, but we have a plan, ‘you take a share of our banks and we work together and the banks are still breathing and then recover and then you get paid back’."

"This allows us to grow and recover and prevents the crisis that is happening all over Europe."

"We don’t want to default. We are not a delinquent nation, but the figures are just too big."

McWilliams: Plan will vaporise the economy | Irish Examiner

Sucker Punch

Ask him did Samson ever have any regrets when he brough down the temple.

He3

How was the show?

Sucker Punch

Met the man himself after the show in the pub across the street in Waterford. Crazy bearded chap who described himself as a historian and political scientist who had a funny smell wouldn't let McWilliams alone.
Who, Samson? I never knew he was a political scientist.

He3

He moonlights for Goldman.

Vote_No_on_Everything

He had a comment on how Garret Fitzgerald saved AIB in the early '90s and because of that had €200,000 of debt written off recently. "His own little NAMA"
This is interisting, can you give more detail?

zig

My only problem with McWilliams is that he makes the claim that we'd be open to bond investment real soon after a default/debt for equity. I would like to see some good examples of this happening. I couldnt see investors showing their faces until we have a genuine sign of growth which would be very unlikely short term with a default and no bailout.

Even if we did it would probably be at a much higher interest rate than 5.8% for at least 5 or 6 years.
Although Id like to be corrected on this.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies