• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

David Norris has some neck

gijoe

Norris says that he is broke, in debt to the bank, close to quitting politics and

"I have given 40 years of public service in this country. I have continually put my money where my mouth was," he said.
No you haven't David. You have continually put the taxpayers money where your mouth is between your Seanad allowance, expenses including the 'Independents' allowance of circa €28k and of course your 'disability' pension from Trinners. I think you have been sucking on the moobs of the public purse quite long enough David.

Mr Norris said he had listened to senators make their case on cutting expenses, including some who "had other good jobs, who admit to double-jobbing".

But he added: "I, at the age of nearly 70, am wiped out financially. I have no savings left. I’m in debt to the bank. And I hear people coming in saying ‘let’s scrap the allowances for this, that and the other’...

"I feel very, very, very close to getting out of this house, while there’s a few bob left, before I’m an old man."
Norris: I
Also I note in the Sunday papers they were saying that his book was not selling. The pr1cks look like to be the one's that are kicking back.

Last edited:

ruserious

I think you have been sucking on the tit of the public purse quit long enough David.
You can say a lot about Norris, but I'm sure that's the first time he's been accused of that.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Any goodwill that I felt towards Norris for he sterling work he did in the 1970s and 80s has been undone in the last 18 months. He is now one of the best reasons I can think of, to get rid of the Seanad.

Bren Boru

The "what might have beens" David....
That Presidential election did for a lot of people.

Speaking of which (and slightly off topic I'll admit) I was at the launch of the 1913 Lockout commemorative tapestry in Liberty Hall the other day. Michael D gave an appropriate (if overlong) speech. I just couldn't have imagined Seanie Gallagher (or Norris or the rest) having any credibility to speak at such an event.

S

simeongrimes

Up to recently his was usually the first name mentioned as a reason for not abolishing the Seanad. How times change.

Hitch 22

Norris and Socrates mirror eachother don't they?

Both were gadflies who fell foul of the establishment?

Radix

Norris and Socrates mirror eachother don't they?

Both were gadflies who fell foul of the establishment?
Indeed, but let us not fall foul of the Bishop while he tries to erect his own bust.

Disillusioned democrat

Norris says that he is broke, in debt to the bank, close to quitting politics and

No you haven't David. You have continually put the taxpayers money where your mouth is between your Seanad allowance, expenses including the 'Independents' allowance of circa €28k and of course your 'disability' pension from Trinners. I think you have been sucking on the moobs of the public purse quite long enough David.

Also I note in the Sunday papers they were saying that his book was not selling. The pr1cks look like to be the one's that are kicking back.
Norris is one of the main reasons I wouldn't just abolish the Seanad, I sometimes think we should lock the doors and fire exits and torch the place while it's in session.

Norris is deluded...."get out of the house"....where the pheck does he think he'll get better money for doing pheck all and even more for showing up?

I don't recall the clamour from the population pleading "Please run for President David!!!!".....he made a decision, he failed, get over it.

potholedogger

331k was a lot to spend on foot of donations if 17k.

I am surprised he did not raise more money before entering the race. There was lots of notice the election was coming up.

Clanrickard

Hubris costs in the long term.

bob3344

Norris is deluded...."get out of the house"....where the pheck does he think he'll get better money for doing pheck all and even more for showing up?
Yeah, you'd have to be deluded to run for president with that many skeletons in your closet. He was treated by the Irish media with kid gloves for so many years that he started to think of himself as untouchable.

Disillusioned democrat

331k was a lot to spend on foot of donations if 17k.

I am surprised he did not raise more money before entering the race. There was lots of notice the election was coming up.
It kind of demonstrates how economically retarded our public representatives are - spending more that you can afford and expect the little people to pick up the tab seems to be the common theme.

Would he be whining if he'd got enough votes to cover his costs, I doubt it, because "only" tax payers would have been effected.

dresden8

David Norris has some neck

I'd say he's got some ringpiece too.