David Norris Presidential Campaign

CookieMonster

Colmog said:
twowheelsgood said:
Colmog said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
Vote for Norris and let's put a queen back in the Viceregal Lodge!
Hardly bodes well if already his possible candidacy is being turned into juvenile joke.
Actually, Norris himself used this joke when he was on 'The Panel' a year or so ago
True enough, he said it to me himself not very long ago.

The point still stands though...any candidacy would have to rise way above that kind of cliche...we are talking about our head of state after all.
Indeed, but you know I can't see him not whipping out a tiara and flouncing about the Áras for a few hours as soon as he got in the door. I mean I'd be disappointed if he didn't!

Colmog

Website
www.colmogorman.ie
CookieMonster said:
Colmog said:
twowheelsgood said:
Colmog said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
Vote for Norris and let's put a queen back in the Viceregal Lodge!
Hardly bodes well if already his possible candidacy is being turned into juvenile joke.
Actually, Norris himself used this joke when he was on 'The Panel' a year or so ago

The point still stands though...any candidacy would have to rise way above that kind of cliche...we are talking about our head of state after all.
Indeed, but you know I can't see him not whipping out a tiara and flouncing about the Áras for a few hours as soon as he got in the door. I mean I'd be disappointed if he didn't!
True enough...that and a high kicking run across the lawns sounds about right. Imagine the garden parties...fabulous.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Colmog said:
CookieMonster said:
Colmog said:
twowheelsgood said:
Colmog said:
[quote="Ard-Taoiseach":2rcklar8]Vote for Norris and let's put a queen back in the Viceregal Lodge!

True enough...that and a high kicking run across the lawns sounds about right. Imagine the garden parties...fabulous.[/quote:2rcklar8]

Meh why not be a bit fun ? He needn't be flagrantly camp but a bit of silliness and humour would be a good thing to inject to the role.

cYp

mollox

Re: Holy Pink!

The Lighthouse Keeper said:
Can imagine the posters.
Norris For The Áras
(it's all in the pronunciation) :lol:
Yes, clearly fodder for too many poor taste jokes about being "up in the Áras".

shameless

I think this is a great idea - although I would not agree or in fact have a great knowledge of all of his views he is a very charismatic amiable and able person. I would hope that he would shake up the presidency and be a more than pleasant change from boring Mary McAleese and Mary Robinson etc.
From a public perspective he would have a lot of goodwill and has a very good public profile across all sections of society
He definitely would get my vote

scotusone

though we might be ready to accept the non threatening camp uncle gayness of Norris , who has become one of irelands stately homos ; would the picture of his partner at his side as queen consort at state occasions and foreign trips be as easy to sell ?

as regards a contest twixt norris and higgins id be voting norris ,early and often .

Eddiepops

Would he be the first openly gay head of state? We could be world leaders!

The Collective.

Funny. I was talking about this recently to people. If FG dont run someone, I would activily campaign for Norris. I dont give a dam about his opinions, I just find hi funny. Like a big gay clown.

Stroke

Whilst I respect the guy as a gutsy human rights activist, he annoys me because he is so shrill. Not a runner, IMV, he does not have the tact and diplomacy required to occupy this titular head of state position. Principles would do for him what "thundering disgrace" did for O'Dálaigh....

Pauli

I would be supportive of his candidacy on the grounds that, if we elect this particular "mary" we would break the sequence of Marys in the Aras, pertinent when one considers that Marys Harney and O'Rourke may be mooted as candidates nearer the time of the next election. A nightmare scenario!

madura

scotusone said:
though we might be ready to accept the non threatening camp uncle gayness of Norris , who has become one of irelands stately homos ; would the picture of his partner at his side as queen consort at state occasions and foreign trips be as easy to sell ?

State visits to Saudi Arabia or Iran (do we do those?) would be priceless.

ptesweeney

Eddiepops said:
Would he be the first openly gay head of state? We could be world leaders!
Laughing stock morelike - I could see it happening with all the ultra liberal morons floating around these days who love nothing more than to be controversial and shocking. Get a grip!

drjimryan

david would be an excellent choice as president
a fitting head of state
a good reason to re-enter the commonwealth
and a great ambassador for us all

OH..YES!...and has the brains and understanding only to take one term!!!!!

DAOINE

Norris who has fought discrimination for many years discriminates on a daily basis. If he is such a democrat why does he not insist on reforming Seanad Eireann?
J Waters alluded to the fact that Norris doesn't want reform on Primetime a few months ago.
He is an elitist snob more concerned with his standing in the Seanad than actually helping equality.
I will certainly not be voting for him but I will also not vote for any former Senator and Mary O Rourke is an idiot.
I would vote for Gerry Adams should he run on an abolish the Seanad ticket.

Riadach

How could a presidential candidate run on a such a ticket?

Kal-El

Riadach said:
Ard-Taoiseach said:
[quote="Kal-El":ei4owglk]I doubt he would be palatable to a majority of the electorate...a few pinkos on p.ie does not an elected candidate make
Why, he's funny, self-deprecating and quite intelligent and has a good profile? We can get the 50+ percent no prob.
Because kal-el is the antithesis of funny self-deprecating and quite intelligent. And don't get him started on the ould homos :)[/quote:ei4owglk]

As usual Riadach you stoop to the level of personal insults...you're quite pathetic really. I have no problem with David Norris whatsoever, in fact I quite like him. My point is that I do not believe he would be palatable to a majority of the electorate. Generally the aim of running for office is to win.
I have met him a few times and actually organised a small performance of a short story from Dubliners once and invited him along. His presence added to the evening and I enjoyed an entertaining few drinks afterwards.
A nice guy but I doubt he could win. Less of the offensive and insulting posts please

Riadach

Kal-El said:
Riadach said:
[quote="Ard-Taoiseach":30kj2ict][quote="Kal-El":30kj2ict]I doubt he would be palatable to a majority of the electorate...a few pinkos on p.ie does not an elected candidate make
Why, he's funny, self-deprecating and quite intelligent and has a good profile? We can get the 50+ percent no prob.
Because kal-el is the antithesis of funny self-deprecating and quite intelligent. And don't get him started on the ould homos :)[/quote:30kj2ict]

As usual Riadach you stoop to the level of personal insults...you're quite pathetic really. I have no problem with David Norris whatsoever, in fact I quite like him. My point is that I do not believe he would be palatable to a majority of the electorate. Generally the aim of running for office is to win.
I have met him a few times and actually organised a small performance of a short story from Dubliners once and invited him along. His presence added to the evening and I enjoyed an entertaining few drinks afterwards.
A nice guy but I doubt he could win. Less of the offensive and insulting posts please[/quote:30kj2ict]

Meh I like calling it how I see it.

Kal-El

Riadach said:
Kal-El said:
Riadach said:
[quote="Ard-Taoiseach":11h5noqm][quote="Kal-El":11h5noqm]I doubt he would be palatable to a majority of the electorate...a few pinkos on p.ie does not an elected candidate make
Because kal-el is the antithesis of funny self-deprecating and quite intelligent. And don't get him started on the ould homos :)
A nice guy but I doubt he could win. Less of the offensive and insulting posts please[/quote:11h5noqm]

Meh I like calling it how I see it.[/quote:11h5noqm]

So do I but I refrain from trading personal insults on a forum like this...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies