• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

David Quinn: We'll pay a heavy price for allowing same-sex unions

cgcsb2

David Quinn: We'll pay a heavy price for allowing same-sex unions

The following is a rather offensive rant by David Quinn of The Irish Independent:

Friday March 12 2010

Despite the protestations of the gay lobby, the Civil Partnership Bill creates de facto marriage for same-sex couples. The media will call civil partners 'husbands'. That is guaranteed.

The bishops describe the Bill as "an extraordinary and far-reaching attack on freedom of conscience and the free practice of religion which is guaranteed to every citizen".

How does it do this? Here's how. For one thing, a parish will be required by law to rent out its hall to a same-sex couple if they want to use it to hold their reception there following a civil-union ceremony.
They will be found guilty of discrimination. They will be put in the same boat as people who refuse to facilitate inter-racial marriage. That is, they will be treated as the exact functional equivalent of racists for believing in traditional marriage.
So you see where we are? The Government has told us that this Bill will affect only the few hundred same-sex couples who will choose to avail of it. In fact, it will treat belief in traditional marriage as a form of prejudice, to be outlawed under certain circumstances.

It should also know that over time, more and more Christians are going to discover that through this Bill the Government will equate their belief in traditional marriage with racism. Sooner or later it will pay a price for this because it will not be forgotten.

dquinn@independent.ie

- David Quinn

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
The fact that the bishops and their sock puppets like Quinn are against the Civil Union bill, just like the hysterical drag queen stormtroopers, says the government got this one right.

Nodin

Second, Bishop Christopher Jones attacked the media for singling out the Church as though priests are responsible for the majority of child abuse in this country,
...but, as Bishop Jones has been reminded, thats not quite the case. His rather disgusting whinge will avail him and his naught, thankfully.

sondagefaux

They will be found guilty of discrimination. They will be put in the same boat as people who refuse to facilitate inter-racial marriage. That is, they will be treated as the exact functional equivalent of racists for believing in traditional marriage.
No they won't David.

They WILL be treated as bigots if they discriminate against people on the grounds of their sexuality - and rightly so.

Harmonica

The bishops describe the Bill as "an extraordinary and far-reaching attack on freedom of conscience and the free practice of religion which is guaranteed to every citizen".

How does it do this? Here's how. For one thing, a parish will be required by law to rent out its hall to a same-sex couple if they want to use it to hold their reception there following a civil-union ceremony.
I guess this was the argument to deny women and other races equality? Why do people like him invest so much time on these topics. Why not just get on with life. Who really cares...

Before the divorce Referendum we were told the skies would fall in & despite a narrow Yes margin there has been almost no talk about since as people move on.

Nugget

Quinn will have his own column in the Sunday Indo if he keeps this up.

Foghorn

No they won't David.

They WILL be treated as bigots if they discriminate against people on the grounds of their sexuality - and rightly so.
A bit like those who deny religious people their beliefs? Bigots?

sondagefaux

What religious beliefs are being denied?

The law doesn't say that you can't believe that marriage is only between a man and a woman.

The law doesn't say that a same-sex couple have the right to be married in a religious ceremony and that the religion must perform that ceremony.

In fact, the law doesn't even legalise same-sex marriage.

eoinod

Bigot is almost certainly the wrong word. Discriminatory and intolerent would be more apt.

I really cannot see the negative implications of allow Gay Civil Union. I cannot see how it will affect me in the slightest if it is implemented and it will give the gay community a certain amount of happiness that thus far they have been deprived of.

Cato

And rightfully so because it is the same. Mere prejudice cannot be the grounds for denying people their rights.

If anything the bill does not go far enough as it should allow for a full civil marriage for homosexuals. But the government are right not to have allowed a conscience clause to allow public officials who are against homosexual marriage to opt out of conducting the ceremonies.

I will never understand the need that some people have to impose, using the law, their own morality on others.

If you don't agree with gay marriage than it is very simple: don't marry someone of the same sex. Otherwise keep your nose out of other people's business.

T

The_Big_Fellow

There will always be some ************************* that will have his own views.

toughbutfair

I just don't get how a gay couple marrying affects the rest of us. Their happy and there's no victims.

I'm no bleeding heart but I don't understand the objections.

sondagefaux

If your religious beliefs prevent you from entering into a same-sex civil partnership then don't.

D

Deleted member 17573

Only reservation I have about kicking the institutional church out of the country is that it will be replaced by a section of the laity that pose an even bigger threat to the evolution of a secular society.

White Horse

I wonder who he means by "we".

It is irrelevent to Christians that the government allows same-sex unions. It isn't marriage and any attempt to call partners husband or wife can be easily dismissed as hyperbole.

Are homosexuals likely to seek church halls for their receptions? Maybe a few politically motivated attention seekers, but that is all.

The only people who will pay a heavy price for the increased acceptance by society of the homosexual lifestyle are homosexuals.

It is a fact that men who live a homosexual lifestyle die 20 years sooner than other men. Those are the people who pay a heavy price.

cgcsb2

the conscience clause was always going to be pretty dumb, If you were a really hard core catholic, why would you be working in a registry office, marrying mixed faith/ no faith couples and people who have been married before. Why would someone then, at that point, suddenly decide to get up and start bible thumping.

cgcsb2

It is a fact that men who live a homosexual lifestyle die 20 years sooner than other men. .
you know, and I know that that's not true, why would say something you knew wasn't true, you are otherwise usually a reasonable poster.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Would this heavy price be anything like the one we've paid to date for abdicating the provision of social services to the church at their behest? We gave them our children and they let kiddie fiddlers at them. I've new for the bishops and David Quinn, I'm a Catholic and someone who believes in the message of Jesus Christ you're not. I'll take my chances when we're meeting our maker.

Just a question but is the rental of parish halls not already covered with regard to their hiring out by a couple who have a civil but not religious marriage and as such are not married in the eyes of God. If parish are ok with renting out to people who are not married in the eyes of the church provided they are of the opposite sex then what value does that parish place on religious marriage and why was this not raised as a problem before now by David Quinn and the bishops?

jackryan

I nearly got sick when I read this article. He really considers gays as 2nd class citizens and as for his theory that marriage is for reproduction, tell that to those Hetrosexuals who can't have children or those women over 50 who want to get married. I hope that none of his children are not gay for their sakes!