DAVOS 2017 - The farce is strong in this one! ;-)

• Thread starter Deleted member 42179
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 42179

Thought this needed a thread to tease out and discuss all the silliness. :p

Official site:
https://www.weforum.org/events/world-economic-forum-annual-meeting-2017

Background here:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/13/army-of-staff-descends-on-davos-to-serve-wef-super-rich

or here
Davos 2017: what you need to know about Switzerland's biggest business bash - The Local

Here's a video report to help bring you up to speed if you prefer:

[video=youtube;10U2M-exoBA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10U2M-exoBA[/video]

Post your favourite moments, useless facts, gaffes, attendees, positive stuff even (if you can find some! :p )

D

Deleted member 42179

An alternative view of Davos (2016).

[video=youtube;PHig83EbJ14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHig83EbJ14[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I hear they've changed some of the arrangements this year and that it is harder for NGO chiefs and charity bods to get to the movers and shakers.

I saw the attendee list last year and noticed that it seemed to be getting heavier in terms of middle ranking corporate people and that there were more editors and people attending just to try and network with the Big Elephants- who were spending much of their limited time trying to avoid the same networkers.

I believe this year they've clamped down with a cordon sanitaire around ticketting arrangements so it is harder for the networkers to get into the high end cocktail parties and so on.

It is a filthily expensive caper in terms of accomodation and delegate costs so it will be interesting to see next year's attendeee list and see if the number of hangers on costing their organisations blistering sums of money to attend will have decreased.

Polly Ticks

I know a couple of people at it and some that consult for the WEF on a regular basis.. the WEF isn't all evil.. far from it... the people I know are very much aware of (and looking for equitable answers to) problems such as wage inequality and labor displacement through automation.

I subscribe to the WEF newsletters and while there is a definite bias to their content, to portray all attendees as part of some Machiavellian elite (as some might be tempted to do) just isn't true.

fat finger

The collective noun for a group of has beens? It's official - 'a Davos of has beens'

TheWolf

I see kenny is going to be making a speech (crawling on his belly) today in Davos.
I suppose the best we can hope for is that he doesn't make a complete show of Ireland....again.

Clanrickard

The collective noun for a group of has beens? It's official - 'a Davos of has beens'

Yes George and Amaal Clooney are such has beens.................idiot.

Trainwreck

I know a couple of people at it and some that consult for the WEF on a regular basis.. the WEF isn't all evil.. far from it... the people I know are very much aware of (and looking for equitable answers to) problems such as wage inequality and labor displacement through automation.

I subscribe to the WEF newsletters and while there is a definite bias to their content, to portray all attendees as part of some Machiavellian elite (as some might be tempted to do) just isn't true.
Just another immense waste of money, like 90% of "NGOs". And too often their good intentions lead to bad actions.

Clanrickard

I see kenny is going to be making a speech (crawling on his belly) today in Davos.
I suppose the best we can hope for is that he doesn't make a complete show of Ireland....again.
When at Davos did he make a show of Ireland?

Clanrickard

Never has beens.

He needs to stick to playing make believe and she needs to stick to her womens' magazine fashion shoots.
She is a top lawyer and he is one of the highest paid actors in the world. I wish I was such a "never been".

okibb

No Merkel, no Hollande, May or POTUS this year.

EDIT; Apologies, just heard D Trump there tomorrow.

OOPs May there, too.

Last edited:

TheWolf

When at Davos did he make a show of Ireland?
kenny makes a show of Ireland on the international stage every time he opens his mouth.
Sucking up to billionaires like a beggar on the street is his true level, no pride.
I'm sure he'll get patted on the head like the good little lapdog he is by the likes of Tim Cooke etc etc...

Congalltee

Or Old man Noonan doesn't do another glib insult to a European people like he did with his feta comments.

Enda Kenny describing his own people as mad and greedy. Nothing to do with regulation, nothing to do with government not being held to account for overspending, nothing to do with joining the euro.

"What happened in our country was that people simply went mad borrowing," Mr Kenny told a meeting at the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland.

"The extent of personal credit, personal wealth created on credit was done between people and banks - a system that spawned greed to a point where it just went out of control completely with a spectacular crash."

Taoiseach blames crash on 'mad borrowing' frenzy

Clanrickard

[video=youtube;hr_I45wHVXo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_I45wHVXo[/video]
Two sentences with no context ......................good man.

Clanrickard

kenny makes a show of Ireland on the international stage every time he opens his mouth.
Sucking up to billionaires like a beggar on the street is his true level, no pride.
I'm sure he'll get patted on the head like the good little lapdog he is by the likes of Tim Cooke etc etc...
That's a No then to my question. Ok

TheWolf

are you that thick and ignorant you don't remember kenny mouthing at davos that the Irish "went mad borrowing"
Wasn't that about a week after he went on RTE here and, with that stupid spotty schoolboy face on him, told the country that 'It's not your fault'?

New Threads

Most Replies