• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dawkins to take on Islam

TradCat

Professor Richard Dawkins is ready to confront Islam on the question of evolution.

Islamic fundamentalists have already shown their willingness to oppose literature with violence. Dare they oppose science in the same way?

netron

Professor Richard Dawkins is ready to confront Islam on the question of evolution.

Islamic fundamentalists have already shown their willingness to oppose literature with violence. Dare they oppose science in the same way?
doubtful.
because what Dawkins is saying isnt insulting to Islam.

The counter argument will probably involve Islamic scholars pointing out that "algebra" is an Arabic word. Not to mention the huge amount of stars with Arabic names

ICOP: Arabic Star Names

Science and Islam go back a long way - thats not to excuse the current crop of lunatics. But i get the feeling that Islam and science just dont have the clash that Christianity v Science has.

Wakeupcall

Religion is a joke imo.

It is also a control mechanism. People think they are enlightened because they find god or whatever nonesense they rabbit on about. In reality, these people are trapped and I pitty them. I love being free, I love butterflies in my tummy which I have always had naturally! God? God me hole!

Factorem

Always this underlying assumption that religion is at odds with science.

Cato

Always this underlying assumption that religion is at odds with science.
Great contribution. I love the way it's backed up with reasoned argument and evidence; just like religion...

Factorem

Great contribution. I love the way it's backed up with reasoned argument and evidence; just like religion...
Funny how the Vatican have their own team of expert scientists on hand to advise them on the latest happenings in the scientific world. Many priests have advanced degrees in science and many top professors are Catholics. Of course people like you claim there must be some rupture in Catholic thought for this to be the case.

Dawkins is no match for the might of the Vatican. He should focus his efforts on what he's good at: selling books at airports.

Wakeupcall

Funny how the Vatican have their own team of expert scientists on hand to advise them on the latest happenings in the scientific world. Many priests have advanced degrees in science and many top professors are Catholics. Of course people like you claim there must be some rupture in Catholic thought for this to be the case.

Dawkins is no match for the might of the Vatican. He should focus his efforts on what he's good at: selling books at airports.
http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/70860-religulous.html

Watch that video Factorem. Even the top priests in the vatican who are 'scientists' admit they are at odds with their own religion most of the time.

Wakey wakey! :)

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
Science and Islam go back a long way - thats not to excuse the current crop of lunatics. But i get the feeling that Islam and science just dont have the clash that Christianity v Science has.
Would not be so sure. Islamic scientists met a brick wall about a couple of hundred years after the first millenium. The scientist Avicenna probubly represents the zenith of Islamic scientific endevour and thinking. But after him (a Shia Persian) the Sunni world seemed to retreat from the early explosion of science. The Shia world though still embraced or at least maintined an interest in it. Hence perhaps the current glaring disparity between singular Iran and the rest of the Sunni Arab world in the area of scientific advancement and industry (and that even with sanctions in place).

Maybe the clash between Islam and science is not so obvious because majority Sunni Islam won the battle so completely early on. There is certainly a differance in the way Shai Iran and the rest of the Sunni world treated science over the last several centuries.

Avicenna is Iran's Di Vinci and recognised as such. What Sunni Arab nation has a simular reverance for a scientist and like Iran raised them to the level of national figure?

Clanrickard

You mean Richard Dawkins as in the man ranked as one of the 3 greatest living academics? One of the most influential and biggest selling scientists on the planet? He is more than a match for anyone.

Also the article says his publisher was threatened with arrest for blasphemy when his book the God Delusion was published in Turkey. Moderate modern Turkey, the country some people want in the EU.

Clanrickard

Mr.De-Regulation

You mean Richard Dawkins as in the man ranked as one of the 3 greatest living academics? One of the most influential and biggest selling scientists on the planet? He is more than a match for anyone.

Also the article says his publisher was threatened with arrest for blasphemy when his book the God Delusion was published in Turkey. Moderate modern Turkey, the country some people want in the EU.
He is a idiot. God Delusion doesnt even make any sense.

Factorem

That's all very fine, but the Pope would eat him for breakfast.

Clanrickard

Clanrickard

That's all very fine, but the Pope would eat him for breakfast.
I am a big fan of Pope Benny but he wouldn't beat Dawkins. I reckon it could be a draw but Dawkins would win on points in the end.

Popular Threads

Most Replies