DCC , is their no end to their stupidity ?

brughahaha

Council offers bike scheme for deliveries - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 17, 2010

Unlike the people attempting to keep those nasty delivery men (doing their jobs!) from the city centre, I was once worked delivering in Dublin

As it is the jobs an utter nightmare ..... not helped by all those accountants , Teachers and Planners on DCC that have never done a days physical work in their lives refusing to provide anything close to suitable delivery options (preferring to believe that house elves provide them with their stationery coffeee cups coffee and every other part of everything in the city centre)

So how many bikes will Mand S and Tesco need just to keep the shelves filled not to mention kegs in every pub?:rolleyes:

Excellent idea for other business too .... pay for a van, pay for its annual D.O.E. pay Fuel duty pay road tax , pay a driver and then leave it in Smithfield and pay someone else to deliver it for you .... in a recession!!!

Warned that Busgate and 30kmph was the thin end of the wedge from these gobshiite ideologues

Stupidity beyond belief... who left them in charge of a city:rolleyes::mad:

SilverLining

In Denmark, Germany and the Netherlands, this would not be seen as a stupid idea at all. I will always remember seeing a guy carrying a chest of drawers on a cargo bike in Copenhagen. In Amsterdam, one always sees some very unusual cargos.

[ame="http://vimeo.com/15030578"]Cargo Bike Copenhagen by Streetfilms [/ame]

brughahaha

Except those bikes in the videos are used by private individuals not commercial entities as being proposed by DCC ..... very very different !

DCC aren't encouraging individuals to own these things the're proposing enforced use of a single private courier company .... again very different

Didimus

Not sure what the problem is here.
Metro North will be disruptive, and if a business can switch to this new facility to ensure ontime deliveries why wouldn't they?

brughahaha

Have you watched the video ? People do use them for work purposes. I have seen it firsthand and www.copenhagenize.com bears withness to that as well !
Yes I have ...lots of individuals using cargo bikes .... yes "people use them for work purposes" not companies and certainly nothing like what is proposed by DCC ....

Are you not getting it or deliberately comparing using a bike for occasional individual needs to keeping business and shops in a city centre stocked?:rolleyes:

stripey cat

Are you not getting it or deliberately comparing using a bike for occasional individual needs to keeping business and shops in a city centre stocked?
What is the actual problem with using bikes instead of trucks?

It seems like a laudable idea. There is a similar thing in central Paris I think.

brughahaha

Not sure what the problem is here.
Metro North will be disruptive, and if a business can switch to this new facility to ensure ontime deliveries why wouldn't they?
So How many bikes do you think Mand S will need for both shops ? Tesco ? Mc Donalds ? The various Hotels? and on and on and on and on . just how many bikes will be required to facilitate the fleet of vans required (not there for any other reason than the're needed!!)in Dublin City centre every day , 1000? 10'000 100,000??

Lofty and ignorant notions from desk bound and cossetted ideologues

brughahaha

What is the actual problem with using bikes instead of trucks?

It seems like a laudable idea. There is a similar thing in central Paris I think.
Fine to encourage anyone with that can , unfortunately with DCC its a proposal, then a trial and then utter enforcement from a small bunch of zealots

And as someone who lived in Paris I can honestly say I never witnessed it and it certainly doesn't apply to the entire city centre as proposed by DCC ..

corelli

So How many bikes do you think Mand S will need for both shops ? Tesco ? Mc Donalds ? The various Hotels? and on and on and on and on . just how many bikes will be required to facilitate the fleet of vans required (not there for any other reason than the're needed!!)in Dublin City centre every day , 1000? 10'000 100,000??

I really don't think they intended to convey that articulated trucks with tons of weight onboard should be replaced by a tricycle. However, there are plenty of deliveries done in small vans that could easily be accommodated by such tricycle vans. You need a valium I think. :)

Didimus

To quote myself :"if a business can shift".
There is no suggestion that all cargo will be delivered by bike. There are plenty of small businesses in the city centre.

F.U.B.A.R

Council offers bike scheme for deliveries - The Irish Times - Wed, Nov 17, 2010

Unlike the people attempting to keep those nasty delivery men (doing their jobs!) from the city centre, I was once worked delivering in Dublin

As it is the jobs an utter nightmare ..... not helped by all those accountants , Teachers and Planners on DCC that have never done a days physical work in their lives refusing to provide anything close to suitable delivery options (preferring to believe that house elves provide them with their stationery coffeee cups coffee and every other part of everything in the city centre)

So how many bikes will Mand S and Tesco need just to keep the shelves filled not to mention kegs in every pub?:rolleyes:

Excellent idea for other business too .... pay for a van, pay for its annual D.O.E. pay Fuel duty pay road tax , pay a driver and then leave it in Smithfield and pay someone else to deliver it for you .... in a recession!!!

Warned that Busgate and 30kmph was the thin end of the wedge from these gobshiite ideologues

Stupidity beyond belief... who left them in charge of a city:rolleyes::mad:
Best medicine for those at DCC, would be for all couriers, postal and delivery people to refuse to deliver to them for one week, they'd soon start to appreciate the need for these people. "Take them dirty trucks and vans off our little nice streets"!!, ohh hang on, " then i wont be able to have my morning paper, or my cuppa coffee, or that hard drive delivered that i so badly need"?? Fools.

F.U.B.A.R

To quote myself :"if a business can shift".
There is no suggestion that all cargo will be delivered by bike. There are plenty of small businesses in the city centre.
Moron.If you pay a van to deliver 50 large box's from a to b, we'll say €40. (a short trip 3-5 miles). How do you propose we shift them by bike at that cost Einstein?

brughahaha

I really don't think they intended to convey that articulated trucks with tons of weight onboard should be replaced by a tricycle. However, there are plenty of deliveries done in small vans that could easily be accommodated by such tricycle vans. You need a valium I think. :)
And you need to read the article before accusing anyone :rolleyes:

"The scheme would be retained long term to protect road surfaces in pedestrianised areas such as Grafton Street and Henry Street and to allow for the better operation of bus systems in the city centre.
Larger lorries could bring cargo to the depot, instead of entering the central business district – and the bikes would then be used to distribute the goods to businesses.
the council did not want a return to the use of “unsustainable transportation vehicles”

Its being brought in under the guise of Metro North .... not yet approved and already admits it is a long term plan with nothing to do with Metro North but based on a view that those nasty delivery vans are an evil eyesore and inconvinience to the poor citizens of Dublin

It also specifically states larger vans are included in the proposals

After the mind boggling stupidity of the 30kmph backed up by nothing but ideology you need a reality check I think

fiannafailure

Anyone up to the challenge of designing a temperature controlled cargo bike, must be capable of meeting food safety legislation ?

Didimus

Moron.If you pay a van to deliver 50 large box's from a to b, we'll say €40. (a short trip 3-5 miles). How do you propose we shift them by bike at that cost Einstein?
Again I said "if a business can shift".
There is a business in France doing this for nearly ten years
Cargo bikes for greener business deliveries in congested cities - Springwise

I note that the IT article says that it is a joint initiative with the Dublin City Business Association, who might be expected to have a view on the economic viability of the scheme.
And what's with the aggressive opening to your post?

EvotingMachine0197

Anyone up to the challenge of designing a temperature controlled cargo bike, must be capable of meeting food safety legislation ?
It would need an engine to run the alternator to power the chiller compressor. So it would need a fuel tank too ..:)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies