• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

De Brugh V Crawley cage fight.

Pat Mc Larnon

Big fight outside the back of the Gaiety where Irish singer Chris De Burgh has taken a mighty offence to a review of his concerts by the Irish Times critic (sic) Peter Crawley.

The spritely singer has accused the said hack of writing a hackneyed and cliched piece that was merely a cut and paste of a number of similar articles going back over thirty years. De Burgh points out that the concerts were a sell out and that the review did not take account of what actually happened on the night.

While obviously a piece on entertainment the article does stray into the real world of writer bias and of reporters broaching a subject with pre conceived ideas and a closed mind (regardless of the subject matter).
It has to be said that De Burgh does appear to take satisfaction at what he believes will be the ultimate demise of the print media at the expense of the net and information sharing technology.

Chris De Burgh the champion of the blog against the luddites and closed minds of the Irish Times. Who'd have thought it.

Kevin Doyle

Big fight outside the back of the Gaiety where Irish singer Chris De Burgh has taken a mighty offence to a review of his concerts by the Irish Times critic (sic) Peter Crawley.

The spritely singer has accused the said hack of writing a hackneyed and cliched piece that was merely a cut and paste of a number of similar articles going back over thirty years. De Burgh points out that the concerts were a sell out and that the review did not take account of what actually happened on the night.

While obviously a piece on entertainment the article does stray into the real world of writer bias and of reporters broaching a subject with pre conceived ideas and a closed mind (regardless of the subject matter).
It has to be said that De Burgh does appear to take satisfaction at what he believes will be the ultimate demise of the print media at the expense of the net and information sharing technology.

Chris De Burgh the champion of the blog against the luddites and closed minds of the Irish Times. Who'd have thought it.
There was an article in hotpress where they published De Burghs letter to Crawley.

You should read it, seriously, De Burgh comes across like an infantile meglomaniac.

TradCat

You should read it, seriously, De Burgh comes across like an infantile meglomaniac.
Maybe he was just high-ei-ei on emotion.

But seriously I imagine people going to such an event know what they are getting and writing a review in what some still consider a serious newspaper is a kind of snobbery so the insecure readers can titter at those they consider to have taste even worse than their own.

CookieMonster

There was something in the Daily Mail on monday about this too.

Kevin Doyle

Maybe he was just high-ei-ei on emotion.

But seriously I imagine people going to such an event know what they are getting and writing a review in what some still consider a serious newspaper is a kind of snobbery so the insecure readers can titter at those they consider to have taste even worse than their own.
I'm sure theres an element of that but Crowley alluded to such in his piece.

'But while he certainly gives us some reason (to cringe-sic) – “I often wonder where religion came from,” goes one introduction, as though he is considering starting one – any embarrassment we feel says more about us than him.'

Here is the review and the resulting letter in full.

Chris de Burgh sees red - The Irish Times - Fri, Sep 11, 2009

tmesis2008

Sounds like someone is fed-up with being under-appreciated artistically.

De Burgh's argument is that people showed up and were entertained by his decades-old songs and some covers, and therefore he should have gotten nice things written about him. Oh dear.

tmesis2008

Actually, journalists are usually invited to shows (and I would be stunned if one wasn't invited on this occasion), and most bands/performers would give their eye teeth for one to show up and write about them. Of course, if one does show-up and write a review you don't like...

...unless there is something factually inaccurate (like, let's say he said that the show was sparsely-attended when it was in fact sold out etc.) you should never write a "don't you understand how brilliant some people think I am you snobbish, prejudiced d*ck?" letter.

This won't lose him any fans (apparently some women wear red dresses to his shows) but it won't gain him any new ones.

tmesis2008

Someone who might have cause for a little complaint is Cliff Richard. He once sent a new song to Radio Stations under a pseudo-name and they raved about it and played it. When it was revealed that is was a new Cliff Richard record they stopped playing it.

Maybe some singers have such a strong reputation for being naff that the mere mention of the name or sound of the voice is enough to put people off (or switch stations) without even listening to the new material.

Kevin Doyle

Actually, journalists are usually invited to shows (and I would be stunned if one wasn't invited on this occasion), and most bands/performers would give their eye teeth for one to show up and write about them. Of course, if one does show-up and write a review you don't like...

...unless there is something factually inaccurate (like, let's say he said that the show was sparsely-attended when it was in fact sold out etc.) you should never write a "don't you understand how brilliant some people think I am you snobbish, prejudiced d*ck?" letter.

This won't lose him any fans (apparently some women wear red dresses to his shows) but it won't gain him any new ones.

I was actually shocked at the tone of the letter, It exposes CdB as a particulalry nasty and vindictive piece of work.

Cincinnatus

Website
www.supernatural.ie
There was an article in hotpress where they published De Burghs letter to Crawley.

I'm no fan of his music, but Chris de Burgh is now my hero. Putting Pen to Paper or what!! apart from the tetchy ps. at the bottom it's one of the best ripostes I have ever read. Infantile megalomaniacs can never write that well!

Sec

I'm no fan of his music, but Chris de Burgh is now my hero. Putting Pen to Paper or what!! apart from the tetchy ps. at the bottom it's one of the best ripostes I have ever read. Infantile megalomaniacs can never write that well!
Agreed! I thought De Burgh's letter was both eloquent and tongue in cheek. It made me smile anyway :) The best way to reply to a bad review! De Burgh definitely came out on top, proving that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

constitutionus

in fairness to de burgh he's been the butt of jokes for decades.

bill baily alone has been remorselessly ripping the piss out of the mono browed "evil one" :)

and i cant help thinking there IS an element of hackery. critics are WELL known for targeting people to destroy them once theyve built them up.

i remember a few years ago NOTHING steve martin could do was considered any good and got ripped to peices by the film critics on an ongoing basis. which stood in stark contrast to when you actually watched the film yourself and came to your own conclusion.

the same is not surprising from the IT

draiocht23

Are you serious? Meglomaniac may not be an accurate enough description for his own particular brand of self-delusion.

How it must have galled you to hear the rapturous welcome I received at the start of the show; how you must have writhed at every standing ovation; how you must have cringed at every call of “Chris, we love you”; how you must have felt isolated as the audience rose to their feet as one, singing, dancing and shouting out for more; how you must have growled to yourself as you left, surrounded by so many happy people, to make your curmudgeonly way to the safety of the street outside.
How it must gall Chris de Burgh to imagine way more people - than read the initial review - now reading his ridiculous letter of complaint and sn1ggering at his pomposity.

Words fail me but laughter hasn't.

The part when he starts going on about "an entire new generation" threatening the newspaper industry was particularly hilarious, seeing as he routinely performs 30-year-old songs in front of a room full of OAPs.

I wonder how he feels about his letter being made public? He can comfort himself with the knowledge that he has done the state some service - we needed a laugh.

draiocht23

Oh, nearly forgot. This is probably as good an excuse as any to resurrect this gem...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DINu35v3eMU&feature=related"]YouTube - Twink goes mad on the phone[/ame]

hiker

"Creepy Crawley"....
I liked that one.
Good on de burgh. Its not often you get a well delivered critique of the critics.
It gave me a good laugh over breakfast this morning.

jmcc

Nice to see an artist strike back. :) Many critics are superfluous pieces of blowfish sh*te who seem to think that they matter more than the work of the artist.

Regards...jmcc

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Irish Times is desperate to spin this as De Burgh losing the plot.
The reality is that his letter (which they initially refused to print, and only ran after it had been published elsewhere and on the internet) is witty, sarcastic and frankly much fairer comment (not to mention better written) than the original concert review.
Chris de Burgh 1 Irish Times 0.

Derrida

That letter was-in-its-hole tongue in cheek. He really is that mental. However it is the most entertaining thing he has ever written.

Eighties stars who should be put into a bag and drowned like kittens:

CdB
Bryan Adams
Phil Collins (tortured first)
Madonna

feel free to add to the list.

Lao-Tse

I remember my father's parody of De Burgh:

The Lady in Pink
Will Drive me to drink!
;)

Popular Threads