Deafness in old age

blokesbloke

Hello Piesters

My beloved Mumsy and Dadsy are sadly getting on in years a bit now.

Dadsy has gone very deaf. He's got some very high tech digital hearing aids which cost a fortune, but he has a habit of being unable to go to sleep unless he listens to audiobooks at night.

The hearing aids are supposed to charge overnight but he has taken to charging them during the day so he can listen to his audiobooks at night!

This means he is pretty much deaf during the day and it's driving dear Mumsy demented.

Can anyone think of a solution for this? He is obviously very deaf now as he puts the speaker up high but still needs his hearing aids.

Is there something else? I was thinking maybe wireless headphones set very loud but not sure how comfortable that would be at night.

Are there some sort of wireless earbuds or something he could use instead?

D

Deleted member 42179

Get two hearing aids. Charge one during the day and one at night. Simples! :p

Or if you can easily replace the battery itself then get two batteries to charge separately

Last edited by a moderator:

Franzoni

Get two hearing aids. Charge one during the day and one at night. Simples! :p
Might be you aren't at that stage of life yet Dammit....i think you will be in for a shock when you see the price of dem yokes....:D

BB....you can get bluetooth earbuds that sit right into the ear that have a small wire connecting them together that goes around the back of the neck that might work....my chizellers have them plus they got bluetooth headphones for Santa... neither weren't particularly expensive and sound very good even compared to my AKG's....i think the headphones were only about 30-40 euro..the headphones might be a bit bulky though in bed if your Dad was lying down and falls asleep listening like i do........

Last edited:

blokesbloke

Encourage him to take up reading instead?
I've tried! He does still read, but seems to prefer audiobooks.

Probably his sight isn't what it once was either.

Sigh.

Old age seems very cruel.

Could he do what I do with my mobile, which is to have a separate battery? I use a battery pack to charge up overnight. It means that the next day I have three charges for my phone if needed.

Franzoni

I've tried! He does still read, but seems to prefer audiobooks.

Probably his sight isn't what it once was either.

Sigh.

Old age seems very cruel.
Yep...went through this with the Ma...loved her books and the library until the Glaucoma which is a whole other saga and then started losing her hearing.....

Anyways the war office has told me in the past in no uncertain terms to turn the light off so audiobooks or music can keep the peace..your Dad is a wise man......:D

Bill

Hello Piesters

My beloved Mumsy and Dadsy are sadly getting on in years a bit now.

Dadsy has gone very deaf. He's got some very high tech digital hearing aids which cost a fortune, but he has a habit of being unable to go to sleep unless he listens to audiobooks at night.

The hearing aids are supposed to charge overnight but he has taken to charging them during the day so he can listen to his audiobooks at night!

This means he is pretty much deaf during the day and it's driving dear Mumsy demented.

Can anyone think of a solution for this? He is obviously very deaf now as he puts the speaker up high but still needs his hearing aids.

Is there something else? I was thinking maybe wireless headphones set very loud but not sure how comfortable that would be at night.

Are there some sort of wireless earbuds or something he could use instead?
Get a stereo for the bedroom, crank up the volume to ten. I foresee no issues with this solution.

Betson

I reckon there are more than a few men who would choose deafness at certain times of the day if they could , are you sure not been able to hear during the day bothers him?

blokesbloke

I reckon there are more than a few men who would choose deafness at certain times of the day if they could , are you sure not been able to hear during the day bothers him?
Oh not at all - I did say it was driving Mumsy mad, not Dadsy!

blokesbloke

Might be you aren't at that stage of life yet Dammit....i think you will be in for a shock when you see the price of dem yokes....:D

BB....you can get bluetooth earbuds that sit right into the ear that have a small wire connecting them together that goes around the back of the neck that might work....my chizellers have them plus they got bluetooth headphones for Santa... neither weren't particularly expensive and sound very good even compared to my AKG's....i think the headphones were only about 30-40 euro..the headphones might be a bit bulky though in bed if your Dad was lying down and falls asleep listening like i do........
Hmmm wirless earbuds sound a good choice... any idea what brand you have if you're satisfied with them please?

Sangreel

It did occur to me but one set cost quite enough!
I am deaf in one ear and more than 50% deaf in the other. My sweet wife got me some wireless headphones that I can turn wayyyy up and not disturb her sleep or TV watching pleasure. I have hearing aids, by truth be told, I hate them. Charging them up is a pain.

danger here

My wife is not deaf and insists on listening to her audiobooks so that she can sleep, though she usually falls fast asleep a few seconds in anyway. Kraut audiobooks blaring . Now we both snore so we have flexible sleeping areas but still it's not what you want to hear.

I suggesting cutting off his ears to cure the deafness and a LARGE bottle of something for Mumsy.

Seriously though my mother in law has bad hearing and since she got this micro hearing aid she seems a lot more chilled out, she'd get very frustrated sometimes trying to follow conversations and so on. Wireless headphones would seem to be the way to go, though I know very little about them myself. No matter how bad things are BB, just be thankful it's not the 1950s :)

Franzoni

Hmmm wirless earbuds sound a good choice... any idea what brand you have if you're satisfied with them please?
Not sure where Mrs F got them i'll ask later...fairly sure it might of been Lidl....although you can get most of that stuff on Amazon as well now....have to say i'm usually a bit wary of cheap earphones/headphones as i have AKG and Fischer Audio and have had Shure and Sony in the past but the ones she got for the peskys ain't half bad...!

Franzoni

My Ma used to call it the 'bothered ear' with the ould lad...never worked when she was looking for a few bob or trying to get him to do something but miraculously came back to life when someone asked him if he was going for a pint...!

I've learned well from the wisdom of my father as i inhabit a house with several women....:cool:

milipod

Amazon has blue tooth headphones at good prices.

Dame_Enda

While not deaf my 74 yr old mother is certainly very hard of hearing, though hearing aids sometimes seem to work.

blokesbloke

While not deaf my 74 yr old mother is certainly very hard of hearing, though hearing aids sometimes seem to work.
I have always been rather suspicious of hearing aids. Lots of people who wear them still seem to struggle to hear.

My dad spent an absolute fortune on his and they're supposed to be the most advanced you can get, tuned to his individual profile etc. but whilst they certainly seem to help a bit, he still seems to miss a lot.

Crack hoe

Hearing aids suffer from background noise. My mother inlaw drives me cracked as she is vain a won't wear them. My missus has started to wear them and she gets on well with them.
A possible solution is you get another set of them not so top of the range and he could use those at night as they won't have the same problems with background noise. I think also the bigger Boots do hearing aids you could ask them for advice...better them than piesters (who know everything don't you know)

New Threads

Most Replies