• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Dealing With Estate Agents

Maction

I am hoping that this thread maybe of benefit to anyone on this site who may have to deal with an Estate Agent or for those who would like to impart their experiences in having to deal with them in the past!

I am a potential first time buyer and have yet to start looking but a very close friend of mine (who I rented with for a number of years) has just bought his first home with his GF and it seems that he went through hell trying to deal with a number of estate agents. His most common experience was that he'd make an offer of 'x', the auctioneer would tell him that he would ring back the next day but would not call back for about 6/7 days and would then pretend that nothing happened.

As I am a potenital first time buyer and hope to start looking soon, has anyone out there had similar experiences?

I would like to hear all negative and indeed positive feedback with regards to dealing with Estate Agents (and the mind games they seem to play!)

Thanks.

IbrahaimMohamad

I am hoping that this thread maybe of benefit to anyone on this site who may have to deal with an Estate Agent or for those who would like to impart their experiences in having to deal with them in the past!

I am a potential first time buyer and have yet to start looking but a very close friend of mine (who I rented with for a number of years) has just bought his first home with his GF and it seems that he went through hell trying to deal with a number of estate agents. His most common experience was that he'd make an offer of 'x', the auctioneer would tell him that he would ring back the next day but would not call back for about 6/7 days and would then pretend that nothing happened.

As I am a potenital first time buyer and hope to start looking soon, has anyone out there had similar experiences?

I would like to hear all negative and indeed positive feedback with regards to dealing with Estate Agents (and the mind games they seem to play!)

Thanks.
Auctioneers take bids "off the wall" during an auction. It is the art of convincing the room that some one has made a bid when they have not.

If you make a bid to an auctioneer always make it conditional for a limited time. Do tell them you have an offer on another property even if you have not. Always look at other houses on their books even if you have no interest in them. Never let them know how much you can spend, or if you particularly like a house.

Do tell them you will require discounts subject to a surveyors or engineers report. Ask them where they go on holidays and if they are going again in the near future. Do thell them you will pay a finders fee if they can find you a house under a certain price!

Northsideman

Thanks.
View the property and if you like it contact the owner direct, tell him/her you are serious and put in a bid and give the owner you phone number and a deadline to make the decision. Tell the owner you want to deal directly with them and cut out all the zigging and zagging. Worked for me.

The Pleb

Thanks.
You could try cutting out the middleman. You're quite entitled to deal directly with the seller, if they are willing to go that way. I've done that before and it worked very well.
I've also used an estate agent to sell a house, and that wasn't a great experience. They messed up the deal and I lost about £10,000, and yes that was Punts, so it wasn't yesterday - and £10,000 then was a lot more then than it is now - plus Punts were worth more than Euro's. I don't know if that info is much good to you, but there you go.

cabledude

Auctioneers take bids "off the wall" during an auction. It is the art of convincing the room that some one has made a bid when they have not.

If you make a bid to an auctioneer always make it conditional for a limited time. Do tell them you have an offer on another property even if you have not. Always look at other houses on their books even if you have no interest in them. Never let them know how much you can spend, or if you particularly like a house.

Do tell them you will require discounts subject to a surveyors or engineers report. Ask them where they go on holidays and if they are going again in the near future. Do thell them you will pay a finders fee if they can find you a house under a certain price!
???????

Thanks.
Ask EA for confirmation in writing of offer.

If they fail to do so then feel free to knock on door of house if owner occupied and tell them you made an offer but EA is not dealing with it or responding.

It happened to a relative and offer not passed on, vendor rang EA to ask them why and got the BS of we were just about to call you and tell you of this offer. EA rang buyer who still with vendor and abused him, all on speaker telling he would never get the house as no intention of passing on anything. Buyer handed phone to Vendor who then told EA to "Go F*** Yourself" and dismissed him.

Relative had only gived his name to EA so after vendor dismissed EA it was bought in GFs name which prevented EA demanding a fee in court for the introduction.

IbrahaimMohamad

You could try cutting out the middleman. You're quite entitled to deal directly with the seller, if they are willing to go that way. I've done that before and it worked very well.
I've also used an estate agent to sell a house, and that wasn't a great experience. They messed up the deal and I lost about £10,000, and yes that was Punts, so it wasn't yesterday - and £10,000 then was a lot more then than it is now - plus Punts were worth more than Euro's. I don't know if that info is much good to you, but there you go.
If you place your house for sale with an agent and sell it your self you will still have to pay the agent their fee.

Northsideman

If you place your house for sale with an agent and sell it your self you will still have to pay the agent their fee.
If you're the buyer you don't give a sh1te, not your problem.

You are BUT if you do so after been given an introduction by EA then they have a right to insist on their fee.

I have come across this in UK,where I buy property, an EA paid £6 to check Land Registry and sued both Vendor and Buyer and won from both as it was an attempt to collude to deprive EA of legitimate fee. Not done it as not worth the hassle if a repeat buyer.

Mackers

When I was selling my last house the First Estate Agent measured the living room. He asked me to hold the tape measure and proceeded to go to the other side of the room. He held the measure up in the air and in doing so added nearly 2 foot extra to the measurement. I told him to remeasure this time telling the truth. He then asked me if I wanted to sell the house I should leave the measuring to him. He was still trying to say it when I threw him out the door.

Depends. If registered with EA then yup as can say they introduced it or it was their sign board etc.

You would need to prove buyer came to you not via EA advertising etc.

The Pleb

I have no idea whether you're right or wrong about that, but I did have the pay the damn fool agent who lost me £10,000. I didn't enjoy that.

IbrahaimMohamad

Depends. If registered with EA then yup as can say they introduced it or it was their sign board etc.

You would need to prove buyer came to you not via EA advertising etc.

It is contract law. You cannot omit work form a contract and give the work to some onelelse like yourself.

If you have a joint agency deal it is different.

The Pleb

You are BUT if you do so after been given an introduction by EA then they have a right to insist on their fee.

I have come across this in UK,where I buy property, an EA paid £6 to check Land Registry and sued both Vendor and Buyer and won from both as it was an attempt to collude to deprive EA of legitimate fee. Not done it as not worth the hassle if a repeat buyer.
Oh sorry - I need to clarify - I bought a house and dealt directly with the vendor.

It was when selling a house that I dealt with an agent.

stopdoingstuff

Do your homework/ Check out what has been selling in the area recently and for how much on Residential Property Price Register - Home Page.

Then take what you find on that website and compare it to what is on offer in the area of choice- ignore the prices on daft and myhome. Just use those sites to get a feel for what is on offer.

The idea is that before you even talk to an estate agent, you know what you want and how much similar properties have been selling for.

Agents' commissions are based on the selling price, so no matter how friendly they appear to be, their interest is for you to pay more and to pay soon. Therefore take your time and use a few agents. They are still more anxious to sell than you are to buy- there is a lot of empty property out there so no need to rush.

Maction

Thanks for the responses thus far....I don't think I will be contacting a potential vendor directly just yet!!

That leads me to another area..... Is there a database of property where the vendor is selling directly without an estate agent? Surprised its not more common to be honest.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies