"Dear Brian...Please Resign from the European Parliament"

ruserious

An Open Letter to Brian Crowley MEP

Dear Brian,

May I begin with my best wishes during your illness. I wish you the best in what must be a terrible time for you personally.

I write this letter, not because I wish to make political capital, but because I want the best for Ireland on the European stage as we prepare to enter uncharted waters surrounding Brexit and tax harmonisation.

It has not gone unnoticed that you are currently ranked 750 out of 751 MEPs in Europe in terms of your voting record and attendance in parliament. You have not taken part in a single vote. While I am fully aware why you have been unable to fulfil your duties, there is a growing awareness that you need to resign so that somebody else can replace you and represent the South Constituency in a meaningful way.

Ireland is facing immense challenges in the coming months and years. Our near neighbour is leaving the EU, and Ireland will be left isolated geographically and politically as the core of the EU has called for tax harmonisation and a multi-speed Europe. This is the time that Ireland must play smart, as Juncker said recently. We need to have a full compliment in Europe representing Ireland at this time. Unfortunately, it is obvious that you are no longer in such a position to do your best for your constituents.

This should not be coming as a shock to you. Your attendance record in the last European Parliament was equally appalling and it is my personal opinion that you did your constituents as a disservice if you were unable to fulfil your duties. You are held in high regard throughout Munster. This is reflected in the amazing electoral results you have notched up at each election. However now is the time to ask yourself, "am I doing my constituents a favour by continuing?"

If you read this letter, I ask that you consider your position. Allow somebody else to take up the baton and be a presence in the European Parliament representing Munster during the coming months. If and when you are able to fulfil your duties, there is nothing stopping you from running again but you need to be made aware of these sentiments.

Regards,

A concerned constituent.

theObserver@hotmail.com

My views on the European parliament is that Irish MEPs should not take attend or take part in its sham democracy.

So Brian Crowley is the perfect MEP. Keep up the good work !

Deadlock

Well done! I hope you get a great response from Ireland South constituents.

I could be wrong but usually an EU ballot will specify an alternate to a sitting elected candidate. This is the person who will assume Crowley seat if he does vacate during any medical absence on Crowleys part. Do you by any chance know who Crowleys alternate is?

ruserious

My views on the European parliament is that Irish MEPs should not take attend or take part in its sham democracy.

So Brian Crowley is the perfect MEP. Keep up the good work !
I'm no fan of what the EU is becoming but that is all the more reason to have an extra body in parliament.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Can we send Enda...or is he destined for the big jobby with the big salary and the bigger pension.

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Is there any way of finding out exactly what Brian has done for his people...

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
Was he going for President as well some time ago.

jacko

Kieran Hartley would be the MEP if Brian Crowley resigned

Deadlock

Kieran Hartley would be the MEP if Brian Crowley resigned
So I guess then the question that also needs to be asked is if Crowley was under medical treatment or otherwise unable to discharge his responsibilities as MEP, did Hartley assume his place as he was supposed to, or not. And if not, why not.

jacko

So I guess then the question that also needs to be asked is if Crowley was under medical treatment or otherwise unable to discharge his responsibilities as MEP, did Hartley assume his place as he was supposed to, or not. And if not, why not.
Crowley would have to formally resign before Hartley gets the seat

Florence

Is there any rule whereby if an MEP is absent most of the time over a protracted period and does not put in his sub, that he can be removed or at least his salary and allowances stopped?

In irish law if an employee is sick so often that its unreasonable for the employer to continue his employment, that employee can be made redundant on health grounds.

okibb

I have corresponded with BC more than once and have received considered replies.

The man has alternates who vote on his behalf, I remember a story in the ST naming them two or three weeks ago.

Having been ill for extended periods myself, I'm willing to cut him some slack.

automaticforthepeople

I didn't vote for Brian as my pencil was too ill to write a No 16 beside his name in 2014. Hopefully it will be working better in 2 years time.

jacko

I have corresponded with BC more than once and have received considered replies.

The man has alternates who vote on his behalf, I remember a story in the ST naming them two or three weeks ago.

I am more than happy to cut him some slack but you are wrong in stating that he has alternates who vote on his behalf.

You are either present for plenary votes or not.

His group will have alternates for committees but that's it

ShoutingIsLeadership

You might have re-worked the "there is nothing stopping you from running again" line

Vega1447

Who are these "alternates"?

If a local TD never attended the Dáil because of illness would you not agree that he should resign?

ruserious

According to a recent media article, Brian has not voted since 2014 and is currently renting an office with public funds from his brother. Hmm.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies