Death announced of Darcus Howe

Cruimh

Saddened to read of the death of Darcus Howe. I enjoyed watching and listening to him, even if I didn't always agree with him. Certainly a much better advocate than Diane Abbott or mad Bernie Grant.

The writer and broadcaster campaigned for black rights for more than 50 years and organised the 1981 Black People's March after the New Cross fire in which 13 black teenagers died.

His biographer Robin Bunce said Mr Howe "died peacefully in his sleep" at his Streatham home on Saturday and that his wife Leila Hassan confirmed the news.

In 2009, Mr Howe wrote in The Guardian about his prostate cancer diagnosis.

"Long live the NHS", he wrote, after describing how his treatment had been successful following the 2007 diagnosis.

Mr Howe was born on 26 February 1943 in Trinidad, where his father was a vicar and his mother a teacher.
He came to the UK in 1961.
Civil rights activist Darcus Howe dies aged 74

RIP.

Socratus O' Pericles

Saddened to read of the death of Darcus Howe. I enjoyed watching and listening to him, even if I didn't always agree with him. Certainly a much better advocate than Diane Abbott or mad Bernie Grant.

RIP.
A sad loss. A principled, intelligent activist and a formidable opponent to racism and to journalistic cant.

eoghanacht

A powerful voice, always listened to him. He spoke beautifully. RIP.

The Field Marshal

Very impressive as a serious heavy presenter but I can not recall a single thing he ever said.

My recollection is that he was a sort of giant canal gate lockeeper who opened and closed the gate to let big boats go either way up and down the canal.

Was he a roman catholic?

Trinidad is staunchly catholic , or at least used to be.

Sorry ,just saw the "vicar" bit.

Probably not a roman catholic so.

Thats a problem straight away for anybody who is dead.

Last edited:

The Field Marshal

Are you for real ?
I take it then you have never heard of extra Ecclesiam nulla salus means: "outside the Church there is no salvation". Catechism of the Catholic Church.?

Unless you are there get with the programme now .

Its no good trying to join after you are dead as by then it,s too late.

Last edited:

Cruimh

I take it then you have never heard of extra Ecclesiam nulla salus means: "outside the Church there is no salvation". Catechism of the Catholic Church.?

Unless you are there get with the programme now before it is too late.

Its no good trying to join after you are dead as by then it,s too late.
Come on-you KNOW this is nonsense - we have discussed it at length in the past.....

Here - listen to this. I'm told the Cardinals loved it - huge when I was first in University...

[video=youtube;XGOoQtYD5co]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGOoQtYD5co[/video]

Mitsui2

I must admit the first time I came across him was on Linton Kwesi Johnson's first LP outing (as "Poet & the Roots") Dread, Beat and Blood.

Though from nearly thirty years' distance, getting namechecked on that epochal album in itself makes you a bit of a landmark!

[video=youtube;5Hrp4mHbSS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Hrp4mHbSS8[/video]

With the name in mind, I followed his career afterwards and learned a great respect for the man.

Just as you say:
Saddened to read of the death of Darcus Howe. I enjoyed watching and listening to him, even if I didn't always agree with him.
Funny there's so few hateful remarks on him on the thread yet. I know he wasn't a Muslim, but at the same time one must presume that our Racial Better Ones haven't ever heard of him and so are missing out on an opportunity to ignorantly p1ss on a dead non-white icon.

storybud1

RIP.
Meh ? boulder on his shoulder, 3 wives, UK black panther etc, in the niche black race marketing plan when the Black population is only tiny in the UK despite the medias over egging,, touch of the Mary Robbo Robinson opening every sentence with womens rights except black etc, bit of a bore , really, not a role model ,

Despite that he did his bit for debate and getting the discussion going, has to be recognised for sticking his neck out giving it a go, that's about it,,,

Mitsui2

Despite that he did his bit for debate and getting the discussion going, has to be recognised for sticking his neck out giving it a go, that's about it,,,
Feck, bud, by your usual hyperbiased standards that almost amounts to actual bloody respect!

If I've translated correctly, fair bloody dues to you!

General Urko

I'm sorry to see that he has gone from us!
R.I.P.

Clanrickard

A sad loss. A principled, intelligent activist and a formidable opponent to racism and to journalistic cant.
I want too repeat this post as it sums up my feeling. Unlike the modern identity obsessed SJWs he understood the true meaning of civil rights.

statsman

Great man, who, like Mits, I first came across thanks to Linton Kwesi Johnson. He'll be missed.

farnaby

For some reason I remember him defending "In Sickness & In Health" when PC types wanted it off the air on account of Alf Garnett's racism. He took the view that showing the latter's rantings were intended to make him the subject of ridicule, light being the best disinfectant etc.

RIP.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies