Death announced of Darcus Howe

Socratus O' Pericles

Darcus was the son of a priest, you cannot get much holier than that, sure Anglicans are just Catholics with a more up to date name, Snickers to the more Roman Marathon if you like.

Last edited:

Mushroom

The Field Marshal

Darcus was the son of a priest, you cannot get much holier than that, sure Anglicans are just Catholics with a more up to date name Snickers to the more Roman Marathon if you like.
Darcus was the son of a vicar.

Unless he converted then

"extra ecclesiam nulla salus" applies .

'orebel

Man free.

Clanrickard

Levellers

Howe was great in the '70s and '80s fighting racism but by the turn of the century his cosy middle class life left him totally isolated as to the attitude of black and Asian working class youth. Particularly the growth of the nihilistic under class.

The Field Marshal

Shut up you moron.
Darcus was the son of a protestant vicar.

Unless he converted to roman catholicism then his chances of salvation are remote.

That is what the phrase "extra ecclesiam nulla salus" means.

I hope you can understand that because it is quite important in the grand scheme of things.

dalyp

Unless he converted to roman catholicism then his chances of salvation are remote.

I hope you can understand that because it is quite important in the grand scheme of things.
So a brief comparison between the circumstances for one with/one without salvation when they die please.

diaspora-mick

Careful now ...

Saddened to read of the death of Darcus Howe. I enjoyed watching and listening to him, even if I didn't always agree with him. Certainly a much better advocate than Diane Abbott or mad Bernie Grant.

Civil rights activist Darcus Howe dies aged 74

RIP.
Careful now ... who knows what skeletons may yet emerge from the closet ...

"In 1981, he was elected editor of a magazine called Race Today in a workers' coup. ... He printed a short story by the IRA hunger-striker Bobby Sands ... as an act of revolutionary consciousness."
Darcus Howe: The bruiser | The Independent

'orebel

There is no 'grand scheme of things'.

The Field Marshal

There is no 'grand scheme of things'.
Ah but there is .

There are but two final realities.

Heaven and Hell.

Only catholics have a reliable chance of entering the former.

Non catholics : chances not so good at all.

Hunter-Gatherer

GDPR

Ah but there is .

Heaven and Hell.

Without speculating on their judgements you should only say Rest In Peace about at least fellow Christians. For everyone else the correct phrase to use is "May God have Mercy on their souls".

The Field Marshal

Without speculating on their judgements you should only say Rest In Peace about at least fellow Christians. For everyone else the correct phrase to use is "May God have Mercy on their souls".
I have not nor do I speculate on any souls judgement as that is none of my business, thank God.

In addition there is no death etiquette concerning what is said about the dead.

The dead are dead and its up to each individual to decide how they want to speak about the dead.

Out of social custom generally I do try follow the dictum "de mortuis nihil nisi bonum" .

'orebel

Ah but there is .

Heaven and Hell.

There is but one final reality, Fieldy. Death, that's it, all over. Same for catholics as it is for everyone else.

Best get busy living.

'orebel

we have both types of music here. Country AND western.

you never heard of oblivion ?
If there was a hell I imagine country and Irish music to be looped on the muzak system.

Shannon73

Even 70 years ago as a child, I thought the teaching "outside the Church (Roman Catholic, of course) there is no salvation" was a bit OTT. In my mature olds age, I know it is not just OTT but ridiculous; just like the idea that an innocent unbaptised baby would stay in Limbo and much worse,could not -and wasn't - buried in sacred ground; just as a bishop's ruling that anyone who went to a certain dancing venue committed a mortal sin by just being there; just as, just as a whole pile of similar Ráiméis.

Field Marshall, if you're serious, get a grip and realise that God cannot be a small-minded bigot. He's no longer behind the door with a hammer to belt every wrong-doer . He has to be a God of Love - without the hammer.

The Field Marshal

There is but one final reality, Fieldy. Death, that's it, all over. Same for catholics as it is for everyone else.

Best get busy living.
Wrong.

Death is the prelude to the actual reality of eternal happiness or eternal misery.

You are right everybody suffers death.

Not everybody will enter heaven and some people will enter Hell forever.

Hence if you are not a member of the catholic church, which alone contains the full means of salvation, then you have a higher probability of going to Hell.

That is the teaching of the catholic church.
You also know that is the teaching of the catholic church.

If you reject those truths that is nothing to do with me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies