Death of baby in car

Emily Davison

RTE news said no charges will be brought. I thought that is the correct response as that father will be punished for the rest of his life and he may lose his marriage.

TheWolf

ger12

If you genuinely don't want to add to the grief don't start a thread and have P.ie dissect what happened.

galteeman

I've no wish to intrude on the family's grief, but is anyone else surprised by the media coverage surrounding this, apparently treating it as a tragic accident?

Here is the Irish Times on it today.

‘I had to accept ... that I had killed him, my own son’
After baby Chloe Fogarty’s death in her dad’s car we are stunned – here are some answers

For me, what happened was inexcusable.
No, it could happen to anyone. I left my daughter in a car once just like that by accident forgot she was there. This guy so unlucky it was hottest day ever for May.

Jack O Neill

If you genuinely don't want to add to the grief don't start a thread and have P.ie dissect what happened.
Yes , but if this was a traveler child , or a child of emigrants would we be as reticent to comment or would our news channels show the same level of compassion ?

Emily Davison

It might help to understand that it is rare but not uncommon for parents to make tragic mistakes and leave their baby in a car resulting in death. Also it might trigger people to be more careful.

Voluntary

This happens every year and media and police all over the world warn to never leave children in cars on their own. In majority of countries this would be considered a crime and such adults would be prosecuted.

Cdebru

I've no wish to intrude on the family's grief, but is anyone else surprised by the media coverage surrounding this, apparently treating it as a tragic accident?

Here is the Irish Times on it today.

‘I had to accept ... that I had killed him, my own son’
After baby Chloe Fogarty’s death in her dad’s car we are stunned – here are some answers

For me, what happened was inexcusable.
Inexcusable would be doing it deliberately, if it's a genuine accident I don't see what would be achieved by dragging the man through the courts.

Voluntary

Inexcusable would be doing it deliberately, if it's a genuine accident I don't see what would be achieved by dragging the man through the courts.
How can you leave your child in a car on a hot day by accident? Maybe causing death by neglect, but definitely not by accident.

EUrJokingMeRight

I'm frankly surprised at the blase responses from some quarters.

You NEVER leave a child in a car unattended, summer nor winter, not for a second.

Careless parents, slack levels of personal responsibility and frankly an almost criminal ignorance regarding caring for minors.

Lets say its a winters evening and you leave your kids in the car in a carpark and saunter off to super valu or whatever, you slip and get knocked unconscious? You get mugged? You bump into an old friend you havent met in 20 years and get distracted? You get run over by a car crossing the road?

People who leave children in cars should be prosecuted imho. Sure they will have to live with their decision but the kid gets to die with the decision.

How many more kids have to die because of the laissez faire attitude of careless parents? :mad:

Emily Davison

How can you leave your child in a car on a hot day by accident? Maybe causing death by neglect, but definitely not by accident.

There is no suggestion that it wasn't an absolutely appalling mistake, you don't get much worse then this as parenting mistakes go. He probably was sleepy or distracted and just forgot the baby was there. Awful, yes, but it happened so what exactly would you like to see happen to the father, do you really think a court case will achieve anything or that the man isn't in total agony and probably suicidal. He will never get over this, for the rest of his life he will be punished.

talkingshop

He forgot about the child. Terrible, awful, but it wasn't deliberate. I don't care if they charge him with something or not, and probably he doesn't either. I don't see the point of this thread.

Orbit v2

I think you are expressing a commonly held view on incidents like this. But, where do you draw the line between genuine accident and recklessness? If the gardai hadn't concluded so quickly, maybe encouraged by a very sympathetic report in the Indo yesterday, to drop the case, then I wouldn't have started a thread on it.

TheWolf

One can only presume that the guy was to leave the child at a babysitter/childminder and on the way the child fell asleep in the back and when he pulled up at his workplace the car was silent so he went about his business.
It seems to have been a tragic accident.
People calling for him to be prosecuted need their heads examined.

This guy will have to live with his mistake for the rest of his life.

Just think about that for a minute before ye all jump in looking for his head.....

Jack O Neill

One can only presume that the guy was to leave the child at a babysitter/childminder and on the way the child fell asleep in the back and when he pulled up at his workplace the car was silent so he went about his business.
It seems to have been a tragic accident.
People calling for him to be prosecuted need their heads examined.

This guy will have to live with his mistake for the rest of his life.

Just think about that for a minute before ye all jump in looking for his head.....
right , but again

if this was a traveler child , or a child of emigrants would we be as reticent to comment or would our news channels show the same level of compassion ?

Orbit v2

The baby was left in the car alone for five hours. Mistakes aside, how can it happen that nobody is wondering where the child is for five hours?

tipofdiceberg

The father is not called Murphy so no action.

The baby's death was an "accident" caused by parental neglect.

Half Nelson

I've reported this thread. I'm hopeful that the mods have more humanity than the op and some of the posters here.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies