Death of Hippie Culture - Funeral Notice dated 6 October 1967

Kilbarry

An 8 page "anniversary" special in the Irish Sunday People today -entitled "Summer of Love" with subheading "Hell of a Do but Party had to End", on the demise of Hippie culture and the after-affects of the Summer of Love in 1967.

The Hippie life-style was becoming squalid by the autumn of 1967. San Francisco was becoming over-run with cynical drug dealers and young teenage runaways. Bulletin boards for the missing started to appear. Criminals could grow their hair long and dress in hippie style too. Free love was used as a cover for rape and abuse. Thousands fell victim to addiction and mental health problems or became homeless.

.. The Haight-Ashbury scene deteriorated through overcrowding, homelessness and crime. From LSD and marijuana, dealers moved on to more profitable drugs such as heroin and barbiturates. When police arrested one heroin dealer they found in his car the severed arm of a murdered rival. The stoned dealer told them; "I'm very, very hazy about that arm"....

Anyway the OFFICIAL (sort of) anniversary of the death of this culture will be with us in a few months time. 50 years ago local resident Mary Kaspar organised a "funeral" and produced the following Notice:

FUNERAL NOTICE
----------------
HIPPIE

in the Haight-Ashbury District
of this city
Hippie devoted son
of
Mass Media

Friends are invited
to attend services
beginning at sunrise
October 6, 1967
at
Buena Vista Park

The 50th anniversary of this event is almost upon us. How should we commemorate it?

Were the remains cremated and installed in an urn?

jpc

The hippies are running Europe now.
And a fair bit of the US education system.
Not too well either!

GDPR

Commemorate it?

Do the hippie-hippie shake, of course!

Mind you, I doubt the lard-arses of subsequent generations could manage it without collapsing in their styrofoam cups of genetically-modified popcorn :)

Kilbarry

Were the remains cremated and installed in an urn?
Funnily enough Mary Kaspar who composed the epitaph, seemed to be in two minds about the hippie movement - or maybe she was afraid of being denounced as a "square" or "Establishment sell-out" or whatever.

One local Mary Kaspar organised a ceremony she called "The Death of the Hippie". Pallbearers carried a coffin filled with beads, hair, incense and flowers.

Mary said: "We wanted to signal this was the end of it - stay where you are. Bring the revolution to where you live. Don't come here. It's over and done with".

Well they sure did that anyway - along with the Criminals and the Drugs and the Mental issues.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Bikers such as the Hells Angels, Outlaws, Pagans etc seen the Hippies as easy prey, also Charlie Manson and his 'family' tarnished the expectation of Nirvana :)

PeaceGoalie

[video=youtube;7I0vkKy504U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U[/video]

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Commemorate it?

Do the hippie-hippie shake, of course!

Mind you, I doubt the lard-arses of subsequent generations could manage it without collapsing in their styrofoam cups of genetically-modified popcorn :)
Rots in his younger guise set up a quasi Hippie enterprise back in the mists of a different Ireland.:shock2: Needless to say it had a short life span, but perhaps future generations of Idealistic Irish youth will revive the Tie-dye lifestyle..:rolleyes:

PBP voter

Bikers such as the Hells Angels, Outlaws, Pagans etc seen the Hippies as easy prey, also Charlie Manson and his 'family' tarnished the expectation of Nirvana :)
You sound like you are still in the primary school playground. :roll:

PeaceGoalie

[video=youtube;N-aK6JnyFmk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk[/video]

PBP voter

Most Hippies(real ones) who are still alive are practically vegetables.

The long term effects of their drug use has ruined the quality of their lives.

Bea C

[video=youtube;7I0vkKy504U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I0vkKy504U[/video]
As a complete aside, that song makes me think of my Grandad. He died in May 1967, Mom remembers hearing it at the time.

PeaceGoalie

As a complete aside, that song makes me think of my Grandad. He died in May 1967, Mom remembers hearing it at the time.
[video=youtube;W4ga_M5Zdn4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4[/video]

GDPR

Rots in his younger guise set up a quasi Hippie enterprise back in the mists of a different Ireland.:shock2: Needless to say it had a short life span, but perhaps future generations of Idealistic Irish youth will revive the Tie-dye lifestyle..:rolleyes:
Eagle when she was a little bitty-baby on the North Coast of Antrim had her tiny mind blown by beautiful grown ups from Belfast and deh place down South where they talk odd who camped out in my fathers fields and played the guitar and and sang songs and gathered bluebells when we still had them and taught me Yeats "Away with us, hes going the stolen child" and propped me on a disused Bushmills whiskey barrel to recite it, and then Mum said "You re giving that girl notions and she has enough of them already."

Happy days.

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Eagle when she was a little bitty-baby on the North Coast of Antrim had her tiny mind blown by beautiful grown ups from Belfast and deh place down South where they talk odd who camped out in my fathers fields and played the guitar and and sang songs and gathered bluebells when we still had them and taught me Yeats "Away with us, hes going the stolen child" and propped me on a disused Bushmills whiskey barrel to recite it, and then Mum said "You re giving that girl notions and she has enough of them already."

Happy days.
Glad your recollections are happy comrade. Rots venture was more in the line of derelict farmhouse and skeptical locals ...:|

Bea C

[video=youtube;W4ga_M5Zdn4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ga_M5Zdn4[/video]
Between that, San Francisco, & the Mamas and the Papas you have it sounding precisely like a certain soundtrack!

effer

If you come to San Fran be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.... me hole. You're going to meet some gentle people there.. yeah right. San Fran is a city that has turned into a place that doesn't want anybody who isn't loaded, not with drugs but money. Sad but true.

GDPR

Glad your recollections are happy comrade. Rots venture was more in the line of derelict farmhouse and skeptical locals ...:|
We lived in a derelict farmhouse, surrounded by sceptical locals - as did everyone else in the Glens.

Whatchoo you talkin' about, Willis?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies