Death of Hippie Culture - Funeral Notice dated 6 October 1967

PeaceGoalie

Surely this was the Irish 'peace and love' equivalent of the 60s, no?
[video=youtube;J0aHmMfZTEw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0aHmMfZTEw[/video]

redneck

The hippie culture was a reaction against the Vietnam war. It was also part of the civil rights struggles in the US and Europe.
The hippy culture had a big victory in 1973, with the infamous "Roe v Wade" decision. This legalised Abortion in the US. And had knock on effects here in Ireland also.
Another minor victory was the fall of Saigon- in May 1975. The end of the Vietnam war. Here the IRA declared a ceasefire in early 1975, and sat back and watched the slow motion collapse of the US war effort in South Vietnam. (End of the World stuff!)

PeaceGoalie

The hippie culture was a reaction against the Vietnam war. It was also part of the civil rights struggles in the US and Europe.
The hippy culture had a big victory in 1973, with the infamous "Roe v Wade" decision. This legalised Abortion in the US. And had knock on effects here in Ireland also.
Another minor victory was the fall of Saigon- in May 1975. The end of the Vietnam war. Here the IRA declared a ceasefire in early 1975, and sat back and watched the slow motion collapse of the US war effort in South Vietnam. (End of the World stuff!)
The Hippy culture was a spin off of the rich and decadent 1960s. Only rich people or those who think they are rich can tune in and drop out, as police informer Timothy Leary put in. Roe v wade had nothing to do with this fkkk in. The oik crisis did as it killed the certainty of wealth.
The hippies had nothing to do with the iiberation of Vietnam. The heroic Vietnamese people and their Soviet allies had everything to do with it. You insult them by bracketing them with selfish Americans, not enough ended up face down in Viet paddy fields.
[video=youtube;xD__cd3BJP0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xD__cd3BJP0[/video]

Kilbarry

Altamont VS Woodstock

The Rolling Stones Altamont concert (December 2009) suggests a more typical attitude to the police. Four months after Woodstock the Stones hired a Hells Angels gang to provide security apparently viewing them as "noble savages" and thus "outlaw brothers of the counterculture". The concert descended into chaos with 4 deaths including one stabbed to death by the "Angels".
On This Day: Four Die at Rolling Stones
The Altamont Concert, held only four months after the generation-defining Woodstock Festival in upstate New York, was seen by many as the end of hippie culture, and marked the death of the ’60s, a decade famous for social, musical and sexual revolutions.
Actually the continuation of the above "On This Day"article is also relevant to the title of this thread:

...Mick Jagger rejected this notion. “Of course some people wanted to say Altamont was the end of an era,” he said. “People like that are fashion writers. Perhaps it was the end of their era, the end of their naïveté. I would have thought it ended long before Altamont.”

Eric Danton of the Hartford Courant argues that Altamont is a more accurate representation of the ’60s than Woodstock. “In too many ways, Altamont was a condensed version of the preceding decade, with queasy race relations, well-intentioned non-conformism turned reckless [My emphasis] and a bid for peaceful, harmonious co-existence—among the most valued ideals of the ’60s—shattered by senseless violence,” he writes....

Kilbarry

Surely this was the Irish 'peace and love' equivalent of the 60s, no?

In the way the struggle for Civil Rights descended into IRA and sectarian barbarism yes, it's like the Hippie era ending at Altamont. However a lot of the original Civil Rights people in the North were perfectly genuine types committed to peaceful change whereas I don't think the Hippies had any equivalents - they were decadent hedonists who became violent hedonists!

GDPR

In the way the struggle for Civil Rights descended into IRA and sectarian barbarism yes, it's like the Hippie era ending at Altamont. However a lot of the original Civil Rights people in the North were perfectly genuine types committed to peaceful change whereas I don't think the Hippies had any equivalents - they were decadent hedonists who became violent hedonists!
So now you are arguing that "hippies" were responsible for the outbreak of the Troubles?

That would have nothing whatsoever with Loyalists burning the Ardoyne? Some hippies they were....

Kilbarry

The Hippies and Charlie Manson [2]

There was a lot in Hippie "ideology" (if you could dignify it with that term) and lifestyle that aligned them with criminals - not least their drug abuse and their attitude that police were the enemy. The prosecutor at the Manson trial described Charlie as a "Right Wing Hippie". When someone suggested that Manson's female "Family" were naive middle class girls corrupted by a working class criminal, the prosecutor replied that they had rotted their brains with drugs and promiscuity and if Manson hadn't come along, it would have been someone else!
One way in which the legacy of the "peace and love" era has triumphed, is the fact that nowadays we are all 'Caring and Compassionate' not to mention 'Non-Judgemental and Non-Moralising'. Would any prosecutor nowadays say that a female murderer had "rotted her brain with drugs and promiscuity"? I think the prosecutor would be denounced for his judgemental attitude!

GDPR

One way in which the legacy of the "peace and love" era has triumphed, is the fact that nowadays we are all 'Caring and Compassionate' not to mention 'Non-Judgemental and Non-Moralising'. Would any prosecutor nowadays say that a female murderer had "rotted her brain with drugs and promiscuity"? I think the prosecutor would be denounced for his judgemental attitude!
Now hold on you referred to "IRA sectarian violence". I think you revealed your utter ignorance and closet agenda at just that point.

Why should we listen to your views on Altamont etc when you dont even understand your own country, or what happened in it at precisely the same period?

Kilbarry

So now you are arguing that "hippies" were responsible for the outbreak of the Troubles?

That would have nothing whatsoever with Loyalists burning the Ardoyne? Some hippies they were....
I don't think there were any direct equivalent of the California Hippies in Northern Ireland i.e. decadent hedonists pretending that they were morally superior to ordinary working class people. You had decent people genuinely committed to civil rights and you had barbarians - some of them Charlie Manson types - in the IRA and among Loyalists who basically took over the struggle. There is a very general analogy in that the pursuit of peaceful ideals ended up in savage violence but - unlike the N Ireland situation - the Hippies were corrupt from the beginning.

PeaceGoalie

Song for Wife Beaters and Bad Skiers

blah blah blah
Please tune in and drop out, you narcissistic troll and allow him develop his argument.
[video=youtube;BERd61bDY7k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERd61bDY7k[/video]
I remember being on a train and young teenage girls were singing this and laughing, thinking it was the corniest shttr they ever heard. In thew same carriage was an ageing Hippy couple. Sonny and Cher without the anti Armenian violence

Catalpast

There were various levels of Hippy Culture

- San Francisco might have been its epicentre

- but it was a Counter Culture that spread across the Western World

Some were into the Fashion

- some the Music

Some into the whole Sex Drugs and Rock & Roll thing

It wasn't a Uniformity

- more an al a Carte Menu....:cool:

It certainly hit Ireland in the Summer of '67 too

The Music & Fashion anyway

The Sex & soft drugs came along in the 70s

- and the Hard Drugs and Violence in the 80s....

Hippy Culture had its precedents (anyone remember the Beatniks?:cool:)

- and its offspring....

There is no doubt about it however that the Summer of '67 was a game changer in Modern Western Culture

Dearghoul

think I would have preferred watching the police cracking skulls. who wouldnt have wanted to be in California during the 60's

There's a recent and rightly celebrated clip in Attenboroughs 'Planet Earth' where one of the many, just born, marine iguanas makes it to safety through the legions of serpents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9hn4IGofM

Someone has to be on the side of the snakes I suppose.

Last edited:

PeaceGoalie

There's a recent and rightly celebrated clip in Attenboroughs 'Planet Earth' where one of the many, just born, marine iguanas makes it to safety through the legions of serpents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv9hn4IGofM

Someone has to be on the side of the snakes I suppose.
That iguana should take up hare coursing.
[video=youtube;o4LuoPh2Ku4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4LuoPh2Ku4[/video]

effer

This song opened the floodgates. Beautiful & sensual with a tinge of innocence.
[video=youtube;k3Fa4lOQfbA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Fa4lOQfbA[/video]

silverharp

hell of a decade

[video=youtube;KnPL5OXSBNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnPL5OXSBNE[/video]

[video=youtube;fmIsdMWzdaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIsdMWzdaE[/video]

Kilbarry

There were various levels of Hippy Culture

- San Francisco might have been its epicentre

- but it was a Counter Culture that spread across the Western World

Some were into the Fashion

- some the Music

Some into the whole Sex Drugs and Rock & Roll thing

It wasn't a Uniformity

- more an al a Carte Menu....:cool:

It certainly hit Ireland in the Summer of '67 too

The Music & Fashion anyway

The Sex & soft drugs came along in the 70s

- and the Hard Drugs and Violence in the 80s....

Hippy Culture had its precedents (anyone remember the Beatniks?:cool:)

- and its offspring....

There is no doubt about it however that the Summer of '67 was a game changer in Modern Western Culture
Strange. I remember speaking to a friend around 1970 about the fact that Ireland was usually years behind fashionable trends in the UK and USA. I argued that was probably a good thing because Hippie "culture" had been discredited by then and therefore we should escape the drug problem that was already making news in the USA. I suppose I believed that the Hippies had been sincere but misguided and now that their folly was clearly seen, Ireland would not have to undergo the same trial.

IF they had actually been sincere, my argument might have made sense. The trouble was that the "peace and love" thing was pure hypocrisy, designed only to make people feel happy about an anything-goes life-style. (In fact it was designed to make them feel superior to the Squares who worked for a living.) The fact that this ideology was discredited meant nothing, because it was never real in the first place. So Ireland DID go the same way with sex, drugs and organised crime!

Dearghoul

hell of a decade

[video=youtube;KnPL5OXSBNE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnPL5OXSBNE[/video]

[video=youtube;fmIsdMWzdaE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIsdMWzdaE[/video]
Ermm OK yeah, maybe.

Petsounds is seminal but I get the strong impression them lads were as baffled by what happened from 67 to 69 as the vast majority of right thinking people.

With the possible exception of Brian.

Dearghoul

Strange. I remember speaking to a friend around 1970 about the fact that Ireland was usually years behind fashionable trends in the UK and USA. I argued that was probably a good thing because Hippie "culture" had been discredited by then and therefore we should escape the drug problem that was already making news in the USA. I suppose I believed that the Hippies had been sincere but misguided and now that their folly was clearly seen, Ireland would not have to undergo the same trial.

IF they had actually been sincere, my argument might have made sense. The trouble was that the "peace and love" thing was pure hypocrisy, designed only to make people feel happy about an anything-goes life-style. (In fact it was designed to make them feel superior to the Squares who worked for a living.) The fact that this ideology was discredited meant nothing, because it was never real in the first place. So Ireland DID go the same way with sex, drugs and organised crime!
Did your friend not point out to you that the alternative was the one you were living under:

Clientelism, emigration, stagnation, misuse of resources, hypocritical misuse of partition to foster a gombeen oligarchy.

Not much of a friend.

silverharp

Ermm OK yeah, maybe.

Petsounds is seminal but I get the strong impression them lads were as baffled by what happened from 67 to 69 as the vast majority of right thinking people.

With the possible exception of Brian.
by 69 they seem to have lost their mojo a little

[video=youtube;vzCy0VKMhUs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzCy0VKMhUs[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies