• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Death of Historian Robert Kee

picador

Robert Kee has died aged 93.

BBC News - Author Robert Kee dies aged 93

I'll always remember him for his TV series on the history of Ireland which was required viewing in our house. He introduced British audiences to some uncomfortable matters - i.e. the notion the British were capable of carrying out atrocities.

Later he campaigned for the release of the Guildford Four and the Maguire family.

Ar laimh dheis Dé go raibh sé.

Last edited:

edifice.

Remember the series well. RIP.

former wesleyan

Robert Kee has died aged 93.

BBC News - Author Robert Kee dies aged 93

I'll always remember him for his TV series on the history of Ireland which was required viewing in our house.
He introduced British audiences to some uncomfortable matters - i.e. the notion the British were capable of carrying out atrocities.
Later he campaigned for the release of the Birmingham Six and Guildford Four.

Ar laimh dheis Dé go raibh sé.
In reality he was pushing at an open door. The real difference he made was that he presented Irish history as an historian and not merely the patchy work of the likes of the Sunday Times Insight Team.

Paddyc

I got his Ireland; A Television History book for Christmas one year.

RIP

ManOfReason

He produced a decent body of work, definitely a career to be proud of. RIP.

I wonder in these days of required 'earth shattering revelations of historical figures' would there be a market on TV for such straight forward history telling.

Clanrickard

RIP A really good historian

Truth.ie

Coincidence or not, I just spent last Sunday afternoon watching 3 episodes of the History of Ireland documentary, one after the other.
I'd seen it on the telly in 1980, and for some reason watched it again this week.
The interviews with the old Black and Tans, and Collins' personal executioners was fascinating.
It should be digitally remastered and put on RTE, if the thought police can let us watch it that is.

H.R. Haldeman

I remember as a kid being struck by a British accent telling Irish history in a way that was not hostile. It seemed very strange. In retrospect, it seems Key was way, way ahead of his time. And those must not have been easy times for an Englishman to have any kind of pro-Irish (or, at least, vaguely sympathetic) view of Irish-British history. I think he really sought simply to understand and explain.

gatsbygirl20

I remember as a kid being struck by a British accent telling Irish history in a way that was not hostile. It seemed very strange. In retrospect, it seems Key was way, way ahead of his time. And those must not have been easy times for an Englishman to have any kind of pro-Irish (or, at least, vaguely sympathetic) view of Irish-British history. I think he really sought simply to understand and explain.
So true. Good historian, and also a real gentleman.Very attractive man at many levels.

Truth.ie

The Irish Times website doesn't seem to mention it at all. The RTE News website mentions it some way down. I think this good friend of Ireland (and former Wicklow resident) ought to be accorded more prominence than that.
RTE have aped, bought and copied every British tat show from "I'm a celebrity" to "Who wants to be a Millionaire" but not decent documenteries like Kee's.
Was it ever shown on RTE??
Was Irish History ever tackled by RTE in an impartial manner as Kee achieved.
Do you think Conor Cruise O Brien or Eoghan Harris would've allowed Kee's documentary on the airwaves?

Boy M5

I really enjoyed Ireland a TV History and the Green Flag.
He was my favourite type of English historian - one with an open mind and an arched eyebrow (he had a healthy degree of scepticism).
I've tried in vain to get ITVH as a DVD.
A few years back I wondered if he'd died as he looked quite old when the programmes were made. I was happy he was still around. So that sad day is today, I hope his soul finds happy repose.

macbar37

Used to really enjoy his programe back in the '80s. He was all that is good about being British. Reached a great age hope his mind was intact right to the end his knowledge was immense. RIP.

Boy M5

Coincidence or not, I just spent last Sunday afternoon watching 3 episodes of the History of Ireland documentary, one after the other.
I'd seen it on the telly in 1980, and for some reason watched it again this week.
The interviews with the old Black and Tans, and Collins' personal executioners was fascinating.
It should be digitally remastered and put on RTE, if the thought police can let us watch it that is.
Is it on DVD?

Ex celt

A great historian/journalist and an implacable opponent of sf/ira,its murder campaign and lies. May he rest in peace.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies