Death of Tessa Jowell announced

Cruimh

Sad to read of the death from cancer of Dame Tessa Jowell, one of the few Labour Politicians of New Labour I respected.

Dame Tessa Jowell dies aged 70 - BBC News

Dame Tessa, who was diagnosed with brain cancer in May last year, suffered a haemorrhage on Friday, and had been in a coma until her death on Saturday.

She played a major role in securing the 2012 Olympics for London when she served as culture secretary.

In recent months she campaigned for more cancer treatments to be made available through the NHS.

She earned a minute-long standing ovation in the House of Lords in January for speaking about the issue.
Obituary: Dame Tessa Jowell - BBC News

Best remembered for setting up Sure Start and her role in bringing the Olympics to London, she had a rocky time from people as diverse as the National Front and the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, and the press were very interested in her private life, divorcing her first husband and marrying David Mills.

petaljam

I saw that today, very sad. I have personal experience of someone dying of a brain tumour and when I heard an interview with her some months ago I recognised the very same symptoms, but she seemed very positive about surviving for at least some years.

Sad to see she had the same outcome, and in a somewhat similar timespan, ie, months not years.
I hope the end wasn't too hard. I don't think we always manage to help people die well.

Talk Back

Sad to read of the death from cancer of Dame Tessa Jowell, one of the few Labour Politicians of New Labour I respected.

Dame Tessa Jowell dies aged 70 - BBC News

Obituary: Dame Tessa Jowell - BBC News

Best remembered for setting up Sure Start and her role in bringing the Olympics to London, she had a rocky time from people as diverse as the National Front and the Society for the Protection of Unborn Children, and the press were very interested in her private life, divorcing her first husband and marrying David Mills.
What relevance has this to Ireland or Irish people???

silverharp

wouldnt be a fan or her defense of Blair and Iraq up until the end

Spirit Of Newgrange

what's the name of this website ? Politics. what was her job description ? Politician. duh

if u want to remove her, remove Trump, Mandela, Assad, Merkel from all discussions.

Deadlock

RIP.

I most clearly remember her pivotal and indispensable role in bringing the 2012 Olympic Games to London, that she was one of the politicians hacked most frequently by the tabloids, calling in police and lawyers, and her support for cancer research and care.

Cruimh

what's the name of this website ? Politics. what was her job description ? Politician. duh

if u want to remove her, remove Trump, Mandela, Assad, Merkel from all discussions.
Not only that but she was a member of a Government that was directly associated with both Ireland (NI) and Irish People living in GB, and indirectly associated with the Government and people of the Republic of Ireland.

former wesleyan

She'd have been a representative of the parliament that determines the lives and livelihood of thousands of Irish who are quite content to make London their home.

HereWeGoAgain

RIP

Contrary to her rather prim and nannyish public image, in private Baroness Jowell was known for her salty sense of humour. Her party piece was a merciless impersonation of Gordon Brown, earnest yet profane, with the Scottish accent rendered accurate thanks to her own childhood in Aberdeen. Behind closed doors she even had a mischievous nickname for her brain tumour: Momentum.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dame-tessa-jowell-obituary-hr6ftg7jv

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies