Death of the former Archbishop of Dublin Cardinal Desmond Connell

Cruimh

From the link

Cardinal Connell formally resigned in April 2004 and handed over the care of the Dublin archdiocese to his co-adjutor, Archbishop Martin.Then, Archbishop Martin said history would recognise that Dr Connell acted in accordance with his conscience when handling clerical sex abuse scandals.
Paul Durcan ripped him apart with the letter on the Pat Kenny Show.

Socratus O' Pericles

The 2009 Commission of Investigation into the Catholic Archdiocese of Dublin, known as the Murphy Report, found that the then Archbishop Connell's strategies in refusing to admit liability often added to the hurt and grief of many victims of abuse.
From OP link, that's all ye need to know.

mr. jings

From OP link, that's all ye need to know.
While we should always try to temper our RIP posts out of consideration for the family of the deceased, I'm one hundred percent convinced that this man's life caused vastly more pain to many more people than his passing.

the secretary

RIP Desmond Connell.

HereWeGoAgain

a priest for 65.75 years
a bishop for 28.95 years
a cardinal for 16.00 years
Re/ Murphy Report
As Murphy put it: “The commission has no doubt that he was stunned not just by the fact but by the extent of the clerical child sexual abuse with which he had to deal.” But it felt it “took him some time to realise it could not be dealt with by keeping it secret and protecting priests from the normal civil processes”.

he 'asked for forgiveness from child sex abuse victims who suffered at the hands of paedophile priests under his control.'

''Although I am all too aware that such apologies and expressions of regret can never be adequate as a response to so much hurt and violation, and, in any case, lose value through repetition, I apologise again now from my heart,''
The abuse of children is an unspeakable crime,''
''Perpetrated by priests, it becomes something even more gravely reprehensible involving as it does so grievous a betrayal of innocence and trust.
''I wish to express without reservation my bitter regret that failures on my part contributed to the suffering of victims in any form.''

Links:
Desmond Cardinal Connell [Catholic-Hierarchy]
Murphy extracts show 'agonies' of Connell over abuse cases
Ireland's Cardinal Desmond Connell apologises for church sex abuse - Telegraph

Socratus O' Pericles

While we should always try to temper our RIP posts out of consideration for the family of the deceased, I'm one hundred percent convinced that this man's life caused vastly more pain to many more people than his passing.
He was willing to go to the High Court to protect secret Catholic Church documents from public scrutiny. All you need to know he was an evil cant and as has been mentioned above if there were a hell it woul be too good for him.

mr. jings

He was willing to go to the High Court to protect secret Catholic Church documents from public scrutiny. All you need to know he was an evil cant and as has been mentioned above if there were a hell it woul be too good for him.
Let's just hope - just this one time - that his god does indeed exist.

Socratus O' Pericles

Re/ Murphy Report

he 'asked for forgiveness from child sex abuse victims who suffered at the hands of paedophile priests under his control.'

Links:
Desmond Cardinal Connell [Catholic-Hierarchy]
Murphy extracts show 'agonies' of Connell over abuse cases
Ireland's Cardinal Desmond Connell apologises for church sex abuse - Telegraph
Did he DO anything? He had to say all that when he saw the way the wind was blowing. True contrition involves making amends, sincerely no t just doing the minimum to get let off. And by fukk he was let off.

Congalltee

So, was he a peadophile himself?
(Since Defamation and not speaking ill of the dead are out)

Half Nelson

From the link

Paul Durcan ripped him apart with the letter on the Pat Kenny Show.
Second post in - not even an RIP.
Haters will hate.

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.

RIP

ShoutingIsLeadership

Father Tony Flannery just tore Connell's legacy a new one, on newstalk.

An apt metaphor, on this occasion.

Socratus O' Pericles

Second post in - not even an RIP.
Haters will hate.

The evil that men do lives after them; the good is oft interred with their bones.

RIP
Well plenty of evil is going to live on after this particularly sinister individual.

mr. jings

Did he DO anything? He had to say all that when he saw the way the wind was blowing. True contrition involves making amends, sincerely no t just doing the minimum to get let off. And by fukk he was let off.
To be fair he did do something. He made sure to secretly insure the Church out the wazoo for an avalanche of claims he claimed to be ignorant about.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies