Decathalon is coming.

Erudite Caveman

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/french-sports-retailer-decathlon-to-open-up-to-nine-shops-in-ireland-1.3379797

Awesome news this morning. Nevermind the jobs created, we will now have access to the finest sporting and leisure clothing and equipment small amounts of money can buy.

According to Decathlon Ireland CEO Bastien Grandgeorge, who moved to Dublin last August from Singapore, where he led Decathlon’s launch, the company is close to negotiating a deal for a 2,000-5,000sq m store on the outskirts of Dublin.

Once this is up and running, it will then look to open in Galway and Cork. A further two stores may then follow in Dublin, as well as another three around the country.

silverharp

lard arse west Dubliners will never have looked so good

Cellachán Chaisil

Blanchardstown people wearing French Clothes?

Catalpast will be expecting the apocalypse.

Morgellons

They do great bikes.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No

Hillmanhunter1

This is not really designer gear (though they do have the brands), but really good value own-brand sports gear, for every activity under the sun.

We've been stocking up every summer in France for years.

Last edited:

Nebuchadnezzar

Anything as an alternative to Sports Direct is very good.

Mike Ashley....uber a$$hole.

hammer

Robut and his ilk will be stunned.

Surely they have a website with direct delivery to the Republic ?

Disillusioned democrat

This is not really designer gear (though they do have the brands), but really good value own-brand sports gear, for every activity under the sun.

We've been stocking up every summer in France for years.
That may be the weak link...100% agree that it's a great opportunity to get good value (assuming they keep the prices close to French prices) but a lot of the stuff we've bought there has been for holiday activities where good weather was 80% guaranteed....I hope they'll stock "weather" appropriate stuff.

Emily Davison

That may be the weak link...100% agree that it's a great opportunity to get good value (assuming they keep the prices close to French prices) but a lot of the stuff we've bought there has been for holiday activities where good weather was 80% guaranteed....I hope they'll stock "weather" appropriate stuff.

They stock everything. I purchased my children's ski equipment there and indeed most of their sports stuff. Really good quality at reasonable prices.

They have a cheap tent around 20 Euro or so, that I've purchased a couple of times for the kids to play in the garden with. When it gets old or damaged just get a new one.

Fantastic range of sports gear.

hammer

Eventhough

Rents, rates, insurances, staff costs, banking, legal, accounting ETC overheads are more than likely higher in the Republic of Ireland.

GDPR

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/french-sports-retailer-decathlon-to-open-up-to-nine-shops-in-ireland-1.3379797

Awesome news this morning. Nevermind the jobs created, we will now have access to the finest sporting and leisure clothing and equipment small amounts of money can buy.
I've had a Decathlon store near me for years. It is not that great. Some of its stuff is tacky, and some really overpriced. One of its running machines was £650 more expensive than the same in the store I bought it from.

Upper Chamber

Good news. A lot of Irish people are already well used to their brand(s) from shopping overseas and not unknown on the island as they have been in Belfast for five years. A lot of good value sports goods on offer from them, even especially bikes. Should add a bit of much needed competition to the Irish market.

Spanner Island

Is there ever a silver lining in your world..?

Deadlock

In another move bound to cheer the consumer, and revitalise consumer choice, the EU Parliament will this week outlaw the practice of directing on-line consumers from lower priced priced continental retailers to higher priced UK or Irish subsidiaries.

Fine Gael MEP Brian Hayes said he welcomed the piece of legislation.
He said: “For far too long European citizens have been disadvantaged when buying goods or services from an online store based in another EU Member State. The new agreement means that there will no longer be barriers to access websites of companies. In addition, a consumer cannot be redirected to another country specific website without consent.
“The new rules makes perfect sense. We have a European Single Market – consumers should not be disadvantaged when purchasing from another Member State.”
Online shopping is going to become a lot cheaper thanks to a new EU law

New Threads

Most Replies