• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

December 2009 coldest in 28 years

Wakeupcall

This is a worldwide phenomena at the moment...

Sunday marked the coldest Dec. 13 in Edmonton’s history.

Environment Canada recorded a frigid -46.1 C, or -58.4 with wind chill, at the Edmonton International Airport at 5 a.m., Environment Canada meteorologist Pierre Lessard said.

The old record of -36.1 C was set last year, he said.
http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/posted/archive/2009/12/13/edmonton-breaks-weather-record-for-coldest-december-13.aspx

Last month was the coldest December in almost 30 years according to readings taken at the Armagh Observatory.
The mean temperature was 1.5C, the coldest average measurement since 1981.
However, December was sunnier and drier than normal with 53.3 hours of sunshine, about 40% more than normal for the time of the year.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8438408.stm

Heavy snowfall and seemingly permanent freezing temperatures have made this December the coldest for 13 years, UK forecasters said yesterday.
http://www.hyscience.com/archives/2010/01/britain_suffere.php

It was a battle to the finish, but December 2009 was nosed out by a fraction of a degree and wound up as the third-coldest December on record.
The contest was neck and neck with 1978, a brutal year closing with a brutish December where the mean temperature for the month was just 16 degrees. Right up to the last days, however, December 2009 was in the running, finishing up with a mean of 16.6 degrees as of Wednesday, said Joe Lester, meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Billings.
http://www.billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/wyoming/article_5feebcf4-f683-11de-a46e-001cc4c002e0.html

NCDC has compiled the October temperatures and it ended up the 3rd coldest in 115 years. As we have shown it was cold over almost all the lower 48. Indeed only Florida came in above normal. There is no [NOAA/NCDC] press release out yet but it should be interesting.
http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/11/07/october-2009-3rd-coldest-for-us-in-115-years-what-about-the-upcoming-winter/

Every region in the United States trended colder than normal, Planalytics said, which helped boost energy prices as consumers nationwide turned up their heating.

"Following the warmest November since 2001, the month of December 2009 ended the coldest since 2000," Planalytics said on Monday.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6033CJ20100104

For the second time in the past three months, Denver has experienced monthly average temperatures in the ‘top 10 coldest’ category. In October, the Mile High City saw its second coldest October on record since record keeping began in 1882. Now Denver has just wrapped up its seventh coldest December in history.
http://www.examiner.com/x-219-Denver-Weather-Examiner~y2010m1d3-Denver-records-seventh-coldest-December-in-history

Frigid temperatures are expected to drive up U.S. heating demand to 21 percent above normal, with consumption in the U.S. Northeast, the largest heating oil market, seen up 11 percent above average levels.

This follows the coldest U.S. December in nine years, which helped boost heating oil prices by nearly 10 percent.
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B30OK20100104

The average temperature during the winter 2009-2010 in Latvia will be a bit colder than previous years, as the Latvian Environment, Geology and Meteorology Agency informed LETA.
http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/baltic_news/?doc=4426

Shimla, Dec 31 (IANS) Himachal Pradesh experienced the coldest December in over 15 years this winter with the minimum temperature recording two to three degrees Celsius below normal across the state, the Met office said Thursday.
http://india-forums.com/news/article.asp?id=219697

Last edited:

TommyO'Brien

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Ireland is but a little island. Edmonton covers an even smaller area of the earth's surface.

There's the small matter of the ice caps on Greenland and Antartica disappearing and the progressive disappearance of perennial polar sea ice.

No climatologist ever claimed that every square metre of the whole world would end up warmer. Even if there was a trend in Ireland (and Edmondton) to colder weather (and there's no evidence that there is such a trend), it says nothing, absolutely nothing, about any global trends.

Catalpa

Do you know the difference between climate and weather? The neanderthal denialists don't seem to, in their flat earther analyses.
Oh please if we were going around in our T shirts over Christmas are you seriously suggesting that would not be evidence of Global Warming?:rolleyes:

IIRC Washington DC had its coldest weather ever recorded last month?

TommyO'Brien

Ireland is but a little island. Edmonton covers an even smaller area of the earth's surface.

There's the small matter of the ice caps on Greenland and Antartica disappearing and the progressive disappearance of perennial polar sea ice.

No climatologist ever claimed that every square metre of the whole world would end up warmer. Even if there was a trend in Ireland (and Edmondton) to colder weather (and there's no evidence that there is such a trend), it says nothing, absolutely nothing, about any global trends.
Dead right.

The denialists' claim that month X was cold or year Y was cold, therefore global warming doesn't exist, is a bit like someone telling a cancer patient who has had a good day and not felt sick "see. You are not sick today. Therefore you don't have cancer."

Global warming doesn't mean there never will be a cold snap, just that there will be fewer of them and far more of the other kind, with seriously damaging effects on the environment we are dependent on.

BTW, for all those cold right now, here's a cheerful thought. The last cold snap that lasted this long in Ireland was in 1947. Snow remained on the ground in some parts of the country in that cold snap until . . . April!!!

Yikes!

asset test

Whatever one's views on all this is, the very fact that the Global phenomenon is now called "Climate Change",(in the best tradition of rebranding), rather than the "Global Warming" of heretofore, says it all for me.

If it's hotter, or colder, it's all down to the actions of CO2 or whatever the hell they can put a tax on now.

Catalpa

Dead right.

The denialists' claim that month X was cold or year Y was cold, therefore global warming doesn't exist, is a bit like someone telling a cancer patient who has had a good day and not felt sick "see. You are not sick today. Therefore you don't have cancer."

Global warming doesn't mean there never will be a cold snap, just that there will be fewer of them and far more of the other kind, with seriously damaging effects on the environment we are dependent on.

BTW, for all those cold right now, here's a cheerful thought. The last cold snap that lasted this long in Ireland was in 1947. Snow remained on the ground in some parts of the country in that cold snap until . . . April!!!

Yikes!
1947 was the worst in living memory but the Winter of 1962/63 lasted longer than this.

The birds were dropping out of the sky from the cold.

I know because I saved one!:)

Wakeupcall

Whatever one's views on all this is, the very fact that the Global phenomenon is now called "Climate Change",(in the best tradition of rebranding), rather than the "Global Warming" of heretofore, says it all for me.

If it's hotter, or colder, it's all down to the actions of CO2 or whatever the hell they can put a tax on now.
Yup and in my opinion anyone who buys into the scam deserve all they get, the poor who don't get a choice will pay. It wont affect my standard of living at all, as usual it is the poor who will pay :(

sharper

Oh please if we were going around in our T shirts over Christmas are you seriously suggesting that would not be evidence of Global Warming?:rolleyes:
Then which is it? Is it acceptable to make unwarranted extrapolations from short term weather trends or isn't it? What I hear from skeptics is that it's never ok to make claims about warming (for that is simply alarmism or ignorance) but as soon as a flake of snow falls anywhere skeptics are out in force claiming this disproves warming completely.

So by all means folks you can tell me right now and put yourselves on the record or else you're going to look awfully silly the next time a hot summer rolls around.

ManOfReason

I called to order heating oil today. I was trying to decided whether I need 300 or 500 liters when the salesperson reminded me that the price would be going up in May with the carbon tax. All I could think is that they are taxing us to help prevent global warming, but they can't manage to spend the few quid to put a bit of salt and grit on the road when we get less than an inch of snow. That carbon tax money will be pi$$ed away just all the other tax we pay. It is all take and no give. Money grubbing filthy politicians.

Wakeupcall

I called to order heating oil today. I was trying to decided whether I need 300 or 500 liters when the salesperson reminded me that the price would be going up in May with the carbon tax. All I could think is that they are taxing us to help prevent global warming, but they can't manage to spend the few quid to put a bit of salt and grit on the road when we get less than an inch of snow. That carbon tax money will be pi$$ed away just all the other tax we pay. It is all take and no give. Money grubbing filthy politicians.
Yep the poor getting poorer and the rich getting richer... No wonder FF government was one of the first governments in the world to introduce this draconian carbon tax on their people. The same year they were voted the most corrupt politicians in Europe. :rolleyes:

2 + 2 ============ 4 !!!!!!!!!!

Dead right.

Yikes!
Fantastic! That means I'll be able to bang on and on to my children like my dad has done to me for the last 30 years about the winter of 1947 (the snow was up to the roof, apparently) and the big freeze of 1962 (they couldn't work for weeks because the factory machinery was all frozen, apparently). I'll be able to say 'You don't know what cold is, this isn't a real winter, not like the Great Icing of 2009/10. It got so bad that I had to wear a jumper...'

ibis

In other news, next winter will also involve cold in the Northern hemisphere. Summers are predicted to continue being warmer than winters. Also, 'skeptics' will not be using this line in spring and summer as it grows warmer, but will trot it out next winter again, because they still won't distinguish between noise and signal, variation and trend.

In other news, next winter will also involve cold in the Northern hemisphere. Summers are predicted to continue being warmer than winters. Also, 'skeptics' will not be using this line in spring and summer as it grows warmer, but will trot it out next winter again, because they still won't distinguish between noise and signal, variation and trend.
You peddler of fear, you...

derm0t

Fish in a barrel.

2009 one of hottest years on record: US study

The world saw one of the hottest years on record in 2009 and has notched up the hottest decade since records began, a report by a US climate agency said Tuesday.

Scientists at the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) found in a preliminary annual report that compared current data with information dating back to the 1800s, that global land and ocean surface temperatures so far this year were the fifth warmest on record.

Temperatures from January to the end of October have been 1.01 degrees Fahrenheit above the long-term average, the report said.

A similar temperature rise was seen for the decade from 2000-2009, making it the hottest on record.
Has everyone forgotten about the strangely warm winter of 07, when trees were blossoming in January?

Trees Abloom Amid Winter Warm Spell - washingtonpost.com

Scientists were cautious about assigning credit or blame for the unusual weather. Many think global warming, caused by man-made air pollution, is increasing temperatures worldwide. In the United States, 2006 will be the second- or third-warmest year on record.

But the balmy cooler months might also have something to do with the El Niño climate pattern -- a complicated phenomenon brought on by warming of the eastern Pacific Ocean.

I'm sure the "skeptics" will give the above links just as much weight and consideration
as their evidence to the contrary. I'd hate to think them guilty of selection bias. Anyhow,
the warming mentioned above could be AGW/CC, could be El Nino, could be a
compound of both - or something totally different.

Or it's all being caused by evil Al Gore's weather machine. Part of his Machiavellian
plan to rule the world. (Didn't he kind of drop the ball in 2000, Florida? Shut up, you
idiot, he's an evil genius who wants POWER, and will do anything to get it. Except
for a recount in a contested election.
Yes, but other than that, he's the next HITLER).

Anyway, it's a good thing that we don't really live in a Democracy. If decisions really
were baseon the wisdom of "de peepel", we'd be in serious trouble.

Oh, almost forgot: I'm an eco-nazi, eco-nazi, eco-nazi. Hippies, hippies, hippies, damned
greens, stupid greenies want to tax us all they're all in league with big oil taxes carbon
credits the sun did it eco-fascists hitler hitler hitler.
(I know the "skeptics" are busy people,
what with reading those science articles in the Daily Mail, so just cut and paste this into
your replies, and move along to the next "humans aren't to blame" thread. There are hundreds).

Last edited: