• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Declan Ganley suggests setting up another political party

Nemesiscorporation

Most of us are well versed on Declan Ganley.

The founder of politics.ie (David Cochrane) used to canvass for Declan Glanely.

Declan Ganley has suggested setting up a new political party. See: http://www.thejournal.ie/dg regulations would eclan-ganley-new-political-party-847837-Apr2013/

Ganley seems to be proposing a right of center party.

The problem I see with that is this. FG are in the right of center in Ireland.

However Ganleys politics are not right of center for Ireland. His policies would be right of center in the USA as in US republican party. In Ireland his policies would be far right combined with no business regulation at all.

His approach to banking would most likely be to reduce banking regulation.

Any reduction to the light touch banking regulations that Ireland presently has, would set Ireland up for an even bigger bust and boom with even higher levels of unsustainable debt, than at present.

Also with Ganley's more or less integration into the US military-industrial complex, I can envision him taking Ireland not only into NATO, but using it as a launch pad for any nutcase ideas that the US right would come up with and getting Irish troops involved on the ground in actual combat.

That is my opinion, regarding what an actual Ganley government would do.

What is your opinion?

Clanrickard

What is your opinion?
My opinion is you are talking hysterical rubbish as usual. I'd be delighted to see Ganley setting up a party. The more choice the merrier.

Analyzer

This has to be an Aprils Fools Day special. He already has a party. But it did not work out.

topcat4

Ireland needs a new political party, but it doesn't need Declan Ganley.

RobertW

What's he gonna call them. . . .The Drogressive Pemocrats?

Nemesiscorporation

Ireland needs a new political party, but it doesn't need Declan Ganley.
Thats my opinion as well. However I would go a bit further.

I think Ireland needs genuinely new left of center, center and right of center political parties that are not made up of people from the various vested interests, so as to create genuine change from the bankrupt thinking of the older parties.

turdsl

Fair play to Mr Ganly.Nobody should be afraid of another name on a ballot paper, that is the
basis of our democracy, Great credit to anyone left or right who has the courage to put their name on a ballot paper,

Ribeye

Dunno if this is an April Fool or not, but a low tax, anti-EU party would get a minimum of 20% support, minimum,

But Ribser won't be voting for any defence contractors,

Auld Cynic

The more right wing the better! Privatise the prisons. Hire out the prisoners in chain gangs to the private & pubic sectors to do heavy manual labour in order to generate an income for the new owners. Our sewers need renewing, our water pipes etc.

Bring it on!

Dame_Enda

“If this is to be done, it needs to be done methodically, it needs to be done from the bottom up and it’s not something to be rushed into,” he told TheJournal.ie this week.
He seems to have learned an important lesson from the failure of Libertas. I wish him well.

I don't think DDI should have anything to do with him though as the Establishment parties will project their Ganley-conspiracy theories onto them.

Personally I would like to see a party reflecting these policies:

- EU Treaties should be changed less frequently, like with the US Constitution. There is a conflict in the treaties between "ever closer union" and "subsidiarity" which needs to be settled. The centralisation of power in the EU institutions needs to be halted and the division of powers between the states and Brussels needs to be clarified in a cast iron way to prevent undue encroachment, and the further estrangement of the citizen from the EU as seen in Greece, Hungary, Scandinavia etc.

- Direct-democracy with limits to prevent abuse of process. Except for finance and treaties already ratified, referendums should be triggered based on 400,000 signatures. The referendums should be binding on the authorities, with enacting legislation to be fast-tracked through the Oireachtas.

- It should be possible to recall Ministers/judges so that they don't serve in Cabinet in cases of serious wrongdoing or incompetence. There should be a minimum gap of 4 years between consecutive attempts to recall a minister.

- A citizens legislative initiative, allowing them to introduce legislation to the Oireachtas if they get 100,000 signatures to sign a petition. Voting time must be provided within a set time period.

- Reform of local government. County councils to be replaced with district councils based on population, sharing power with elected district mayors.

- Separation of the government from the legislature. The office of Taoiseach would be abolished and its powers transferred to the President. That way, the Oireachtas would be a check on the govt, instead of a rubber-stamp as at present.

- Oireachtas confirmation hearings/votes on all state-level appointments to ensure corrupt/conflicted persons are not appointed.

- The legalisation of adult prostitution and regulation of drugs, so as to get organised crime and its associated violence out of those industries, and as a new sourceof taxation revenue.

- Complete separation of Church and State including an end to Oireachtas prayers and an end to state-funding of denomination schools and institutions. An end to funding of Church-linked groups like Ruhama that are a Trojan Horse for a return to a priest-ridden society.

Last edited:

topcat4

Thats my opinion as well. However I would go a bit further.

I think Ireland needs genuinely new left of center, center and right of center political parties that are not made up of people from the various vested interests, so as to create genuine change from the bankrupt thinking of the older parties.
The problem is, just who is going to set a party up, if it comes from the people, they won't have the experience, desire, or commitment to keep it going.

If it comes from an offshoot of another party or a collection of political malcontents, its just more of the same.

That leaves a new party to form around an individual, and that can be be dangerous to say the least.

So like a lot of other people I'd like to see a new political party, its just hard to see where its going to come from.

bormotello

Most of us are well versed on Declan Ganley.

The founder of politics.ie (David Cochrane) used to canvass for Declan Glanely.

Declan Ganley has suggested setting up a new political party. See: http://www.thejournal.ie/dg regulations would eclan-ganley-new-political-party-847837-Apr2013/

Ganley seems to be proposing a right of center party.

The problem I see with that is this. FG are in the right of center in Ireland.

However Ganleys politics are not right of center for Ireland. His policies would be right of center in the USA as in US republican party. In Ireland his policies would be far right combined with no business regulation at all.

His approach to banking would most likely be to reduce banking regulation.

Any reduction to the light touch banking regulations that Ireland presently has, would set Ireland up for an even bigger bust and boom with even higher levels of unsustainable debt, than at present.

Also with Ganley's more or less integration into the US military-industrial complex, I can envision him taking Ireland not only into NATO, but using it as a launch pad for any nutcase ideas that the US right would come up with and getting Irish troops involved on the ground in actual combat.

What is your opinion?
Main reason for light touch regulation is that public services are not capable do something properly and it more easy to always exclude them from equation

Eoin Coir

Who will be in this new party - Ganley himself, Lord Ross, Major McDowell, Ming Flanagan, Mick Wallace, Peter Matthews, John Deacy ?
Mother Ireland is rearing them still !

Nemesiscorporation

The problem is, just who is going to set a party up, if it comes from the people, they won't have the experience, desire, or commitment to keep it going.

If it comes from an offshoot of another party or a collection of political malcontents, its just more of the same.

That leaves a new party to form around an individual, and that can be be dangerous to say the least.

So like a lot of other people I'd like to see a new political party, its just hard to see where its going to come from.

Every party starts somewhere.

Give people more credit.

LamportsEdge

I'm not sure Ireland's 'right of centre' can take the strain before tipping the country over into some atlantean froth of island conservatism.

Isn't it amazing how attempts to 'change the landscape' of Irish politics always involves being even more right of centerey than Fianna Fail, Fine Gael or that dying beast of uniquely Irish tinged slightly liberal Labour Party.

I think the political pendulum got stuck in Ireland about 80 years ago and has been swinging a quarter inch maximum ever since.

Just what Ireland needs amid the detritus of zero regulation damage- someone who proposes we should do the same next time only more so and that'll fix everything.

My opinion of Ganley is that he is a corn-fed US Republican who doesn't stray far from the hand that feeds him and that happens to be one of the most discredited sections of the global community apart from their sworn enemies Al Qaeda.

I don't like some of the things I've read about Declan's adventures in capitalism in the Baltic States some years ago. I don't like the faintly visible leash around his neck traceable to an area around the Pentagon and I believe him to be yet another carpetbagger with his wagon swaying uncertainly under him as he searches for a town full of rubes.

In Ireland he may well find one. Which would be no reflection on Ganley but on the rubes.

topcat4

Every party starts somewhere.

Give people more credit.
I'm not down on people, but political work is hard and all consuming.

Mainstream parties are having membership problems, its just hard to see an amount of people out there really willing to get involved with a new one.

LamportsEdge

I'm not down on people, but political work is hard and all consuming.

Mainstream parties are having membership problems, its just hard to see an amount of people out there really willing to get involved with a new one.
Particularly one which promises in philosophy to be more Fine Gael than the Brutons and more Fianna Fail than the Tea Party. I mean, where is its Unique Selling Proposition?

More corporate control of what's left of the Irish economy after corporate control ran it into the ground?