Deeply religious parents kept their 13 children starved and shackled.

Wascurito

A horrific story is emerging from California this evening of abuse of children by their parents. Apparently, a couple in the town of Perris kept their children in filthy conditions, starved and some shackled to beds. The parents have been named as David Allen Turpin, 57, and Louise Anna Turpin.

The children were apparently taught at home. Part of the education involved making them to learn off by heart long tracts from the Bible.

Washington Post: 13 siblings, some shackled and malnourished, rescued from California house, police say

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The weird thing I noticed in that story from some coverage emerging this morning is that the grandparents expressed themselves 'shocked'.

Not sure how far away the grandparents live but that seems strange to me if the parents are seriously bonkers that close relatives wouldn't think there was something odd occurring.

The_SR

The lack of condemnation from mainstream Christians is alarming.

Travis Bickle

All Muslims are the same. Religion of peace my ar... hold on a minute....

Analyzer

If you read the news media coverage, you will see that criticism is open, and unreserved.

Media outlets are not playing politicall correct, and avoiding a discussion of the belief system involved. In fact the media analysis in this case, is openly referencing the beliefs of the parents.

And nobody is demanding to not criticize the participants in this cruelty, or else be called a bigot.

It can also be pointed out that these people were not following the example of the founder of Christianity.

However, though they definitely were heavily committed to a belief system that is both cultish and built on fear.

I expect that you will criticize these people for their involvement in a cult built on fear. But your silence on another cult based on fear ( wherein you use the term "islamaphobia" ) is something that is obvious on other threads.

It is almost as if it is alright to tackle an abusive system that abuses white "christian" kids - but nobody should criticize an abusive system that abuses Arab women.

GDPR

They appear to have been part of the Calvinist "quiverful movement" which attracts a lot of deeply psycho people- mind you a lot of Americans appear to European and Asian eyes as being deeply unhinged.

Hitchcock

If you read the news media coverage, you will see that criticism is open, and unreserved.

And nobody is demanding to not criticize the participants in this cruelty, or else be called a bigot.

And lastly....it should be pointed out that these people were not following the example of the founder of Christianity.

However, though they definitely were heavily committed to a belief system that is both cultish and built on fear.

I expect that you will criticize these people for their involvement in a cult built on fear.

But your silence on another cult based on fear ( wherein you use the term "islamaphobia" ) is something that is obvious on other threads.
Does anybody suggest this course of action or are you just making it up?

Catalpast

Look if true as reported then the parents are mentally ill

- blaming 'Christians' is just dopey

But its pretty sick that some people would use the abuse of kids

- to have ago at Christians...:?

silverharp

The headline could easily read 'White parents', 'Texas parents', or 'redneck parents'. It is not an inherent feature of religious adherence to chain up and starve kids, more an inherent feature of psychopathic sadism.
prods

Analyzer

Will the media better remove all references to the religion so as to not cause an outbreak of Christianophobia ?

The_SR

The headline could easily read 'White parents', 'Texas parents', or 'redneck parents'. It is not an inherent feature of religious adherence to chain up and starve kids, more an inherent feature of psychopathic sadism.
It's not an inherent feature of religious adherence to drive a truck down a footpath, but when a loo la does it in the name of God the usuals are happy to tar a billion and demand fans of that brand of middle eastern sky fairy have their rights eroded.

But when their team does It, sure they are just mental.

It's fairly glaring the auld hypocricy.

The_SR

Look if true as reported then the parents are mentally ill

- blaming 'Christians' is just dopey

But its pretty sick that some people would use the abuse of kids

- to have ago at Christians...:?
Well catty. If Christians would stop abusing kids in the first place etc. They did it because the beardy rapist told them to. It's relevant.

sadmal

The weird thing I noticed in that story from some coverage emerging this morning is that the grandparents expressed themselves 'shocked'.

Not sure how far away the grandparents live but that seems strange to me if the parents are seriously bonkers that close relatives wouldn't think there was something odd occurring.
The grandparents hadn't seen the children in five years but talked to the parents on the phone regularly according to newspaper reports. Grandmother sounds very religious too, talked of God 'gifting' them 13 children.

I never trusted home schooling parents, they always seem to have something to hide.

Wascurito

Clearly, I missed the bit where the parents pledged allegiance to Christian State (CS) on social media and the subsequent claim of responsibility by the aforementioned CS.

Analyzer

It's not an inherent feature of religious adherence to drive a truck down a footpath, but when a loo la does it in the name of God the usuals are happy to tar a billion and demand fans of that brand of middle eastern sky fairy have their rights eroded.

But when their team does It, sure they are just mental.

It's fairly glaring the auld hypocricy.
Now, you are making stuff up.

If you notice, nobody is defending the parents.

And if the cult founder does something, then that is an inherent feature of a belief system.

asset test

We never know what goes on behind closed doors do we?

Is it because we don't want to appear nosey or what. But I suppose if there is no obvious evidence what can you do?

Gran and Grandad of these kids/adults visited five years ago. Surely they could see something was not right.

Anyway, if this can happen with 13 children where the house is not on the prairie, it could be replicated anywhere now. That is the fear.

People are reluctant to question anything re neighbours now.

And the fundamentalists are totally mad, sorry, but this couple chose to renew their vows in front of a plastic Elvis!

OMFG.

Analyzer

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies